Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5858
View in linear mode

Subject: "My first D7000 shots!" Previous topic | Next topic
hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 10:12 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My first D7000 shots!"
Sat 12-Feb-11 11:25 PM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

My daughters wanted to go to the high school basketball game the other night, so I snagged my camera bag on the way out the door. I'd probably snapped about 100 shots outside, of nothing in particular, just to familiarize myself with the camera in the week since I purchased it. I ended up taking about 150 shots at the game. The lighting in the gym was so low, that I had to crank the ISO up to 4000-5000 to keep the shutter speed at 1/320 or better. I was using the 18-105mm kit lense. These shots are without flash, and with no post-processing:

I used the Aperture Priority mode with the picture control set to "standard", but the sharpening bumped to +6, and contrast bumped to +1. I had Active D Lighting set to Auto. These are large JPeg files, with no post-processing. Any comments on my first pics?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My first D7000 shots!
CellarRat
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
glennaa11 Silver Member
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
glennaa11 Silver Member
13th Feb 2011
Robman3 Gold Member
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
13th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
13th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
14th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
14th Feb 2011

CellarRat Registered since 06th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 12:25 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Did you have any shots racked out? All the shots seem to be under 60mm how about some at 105mm?

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 01:03 AM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 13-Feb-11 01:08 AM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

Any farther on the focal length, and I would have had to have gone even higher on the ISO settings to keep the exposure correct. I need a faster lens for anything like this indoors w/o a flash. I'm looking at the 50mm f/1.4, or maybe the 85mm f/1.4.

Please keep in mind, I'm coming from a D40 where most of my pics were taken using "Programmed Auto" mode. This is my first dabbling into the more "manual" modes. This is probably too much camera for me, but that's how I like it. I will learn to master this thing!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 13-Feb-11 01:16 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 13-Feb-11 01:17 AM by glennaa11

Arlington, US

The 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 are also good options and a whole lot cheaper than the 1.4s. I like the 85 a lot. Only about $450-500. And of course the 50 1.8 is barely over $100. The greatest lens bargain in the world.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 01:21 AM
#4. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 3

Cleveland, US

For the pics I took at the high ISO's are they decent? Do you think the price difference is worth it for the 1.4 vs the 1.8?

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 01:48 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 4

Warsaw, US

>For the pics I took at the high ISO's are they decent?

They look great! With a little fine tuning on the computer they would look even better. What was noise reduction set to?
My first outing with my D7k (the same day I bought it) was a HS football game. I think you did better than me.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 09:36 AM
#7. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 5

Cleveland, US

>>For the pics I took at the high ISO's are they decent?
>
>They look great! With a little fine tuning on the computer
>they would look even better. What was noise reduction set to?
>My first outing with my D7k (the same day I bought it) was a
>HS football game. I think you did better than me.

Thank you! I don't have any post-production software other than some very simple programs (red-eye removal, etc). I'm thinking about picking up Lightroom 3, or Nikon Capture NX2...although I'll be totally lost trying to use either one of them!

On the noise reduction, I never touched that setting, so it is whatever is default.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 11:59 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 7

Joanna, US

Welcome to the community. I believe your shots are very good considering the environment. If you download ViewNX2 you will be able to do some good PP until you decide to get a stronger software.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 02:46 PM
#10. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 9

Cleveland, US

Thanks!

I have ViewNX2 installed, I just don't know what to do with it to enhance the pics!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 13-Feb-11 11:40 PM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 4

Arlington, US

I have not used the 1.4 so I can't really compare them. But my guess is that for the sorts of things you are shooting the 1.8 will be perfectly adequate. If you were a pro trying to sell pictures, etc then maybe you would notice enough difference to justify the price. But for an amateur whose photos aren't critical I think the 1.8s would be fine.

Once you learn Capture NX2 it is not that hard. And the things it can do are frankly amazing without much effort. There are some good books out there to learn the software and some very good video tutorials on YouTube.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 05:46 AM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

The kit lens did a good job IMHO, check the crisp net in the last image. I went into a gym last year using the D-90, nothing was close even using the 24-70 2.8, on the D-90, good but not as sharp.

Good job,

Rob

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 09:37 AM
#8. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 6

Cleveland, US

Thank you for the feedback. I am absolutely thrilled with this camera and looking forward to many more shots!

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 03:28 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 8

Warsaw, US

Don't be afraid to poke around in VNX2. On the Adjustments tab is where you can fine tune your image. Just try adjusting brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc. and you'll start to see what you can do. Keep in mind, with jpegs, if you save the image you can't undo it. If you shoot in raw and save the image you can undo it later. Also, raw will give you more control and a few more adjustment settings than with jpegs.

Those images look really good for having NR set to default (Normal). I found the normal setting tends to make the image soft and mushy. I always shoot with NR set to off.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 10:44 PM
#12. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 13-Feb-11 11:29 PM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

Thanks! I came across a gorgeous sky tonight, and ripped off a few images in RAW...I'll see what I can do with them in NX2! Here's 2 of the few that I took tonight. I played around with them a little in NX2, but I don't think any of the adjustments really made them look any better. Probably not much you can do for sunset pics!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 14-Feb-11 12:36 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I think your basketball shots are terrific. See if you can get permission to sit behind the goal area...

But truly nice shots. It is a great camera, but only as great as the photographer holding it.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 14-Feb-11 12:37 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Feb-11 12:38 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Don, those basketball pics look great! Makes me wonder if I have been doing something wrong with my higher ISO RAW images

I do have a sneaking suspicion that the jpg engine on the D7000 is so good that it is difficult to match the overall smoothness. Anyhow I think your images turned out really well!

The next hole Nikon needs to plug in their lens lineup is an 85mm f1.8 with AF-S. For now we still have the screwdriver focus version. It is a good lens though. I stupidly sold mine about three years back, not one of my better moves

BTW I like your edited RAW image, very nice.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Mon 14-Feb-11 09:23 AM
#15. "RE: My first D7000 shots!"
In response to Reply # 14

Cleveland, US

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words! I didn't do a whole lot of editing to the RAW pics...all the editing would do is change the color of the skyline. The color shift was neat, but it wasn't representative of what the sky actually looked like! I've got 2 more 8gb SD cards on the way. Once I get them, I'll probably start shooting everything in RAW.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5858 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.