Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5829
View in linear mode

Subject: "jpeg" Previous topic | Next topic
Todd Secki Registered since 03rd Feb 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 02:56 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"jpeg"

US

I purchased the D7000 3 weeks ago and i'm still shooting in jpeg. The question... Do jpeg images loose quallity everytime the are opened and if so how much? Ang then, should I be shooting in RAW??

http://www.aplacecalledhoperaptors.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: jpeg
browntdb Silver Member
12th Feb 2011
Wingman Silver Member
12th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
12th Feb 2011
Todd Secki
12th Feb 2011
captainkev
12th Feb 2011
ericbowles Moderator
12th Feb 2011
captainkev
12th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Feb 2011

browntdb Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Sat 12-Feb-11 04:29 AM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Corvallis, US

A jpeg image does not lose any quality if you view it, or open it in a postprocessing software program and don't modify or resave it.

The difference between NEF (Nikon's version of RAW) and JPG, is that your camera uses it's setting that you specify to take the raw image, add the settings you choose and output the image as a JPG. The advantage of JPG is that any computer operating system can view the images and the images you save will be smaller than NEF. The advantage of NEF is that you have total control over the image through software postprocessing. I have used Capture NX2 and am just now learning Adobe Lightroom 3.3. Both do a great job with NEF. Capture NX2 is a Nikon product and can do some very magical editing things with little effort. Lightroom has a cataloging feature that is powerful.

I use the D90 and shoot NEF+JPG Fine. That way I can download the JPG's into a computer and just view the images without processing. This is especially good if you are using someone else's computer to view the images. When I get seriious, I use Lightroom and only import the NEF files.

Bottom line, NEF gives you total control of your images and usually better quality output as you convert NEF to JPG within your postprocessing software.

Terry

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 12-Feb-11 05:23 AM
1134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 1

Kimberley, CA

If you are going to keep shooting photographs like this, you should definitely be shooting RAW! That is a great image.

When shooting jpeg, which I sometimes do, my first step is to make an 8 bit tiff copy of the jpeg. That way I do not have to do anything further with the jpeg and it can be kept safe. Any further work on the image is done on the tiff.

RAW gives you infinitely more data to work with, though, and many more options if the image needs work.

If you are serious about your photography it would be well worth spending the time to learn how to work with RAW...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 12-Feb-11 12:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Do jpeg images loose quallity everytime
>the are opened and if so how much? Ang then, should I be
>shooting in RAW??

Todd, as has been said, everytime a JPEG is re-saved (not just closed), you lose something... Studies have shown, if you use the EXCELLENT or highest level of SAVE then you can do a few of these without really noticing a diminution in quality.

BUT, it really is better to be shooting things like this in RAW. In RAW you can edit to your heart's content, and not lose quality.

I would recommend Nikon Capture NX2 as a fine Post-processing program. Also, View NX2 is a fine browser, and these two programs are the ONLY ones that will fully process Nikon NEFs with all the data the camera provides.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Todd Secki Registered since 03rd Feb 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 09:06 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Ok Nef it is. I Would like to be serious about my photography. Does the Nikon capture NX2 do editing? And this will allow me to upload NEF files?
What becomes of the original JPEG on the sd card? Do they also loose quality.
And thanks so much for the input I have learned alot of very important things on this forum.

http://www.aplacecalledhoperaptors.com/

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 09:20 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 6

Washington Township, US

I use Photoshop Elements with the Raw/Nef conversion. From what I am told here, the Nikon software brings in your camera's defaults, but I have not had any problem with photoshop either working with RAW's. I am sure there are people who can give you more info on that.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 12-Feb-11 10:38 PM
8468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Todd

Your software questions are best answered in the Nikon Software forum.

Capture NX2 and View NX2 both are editing programs. View NX2 is my first step as it includes Nikon Transfer for downloading images from my camera or card. View is good for sorting and rating images to decide which ones need editing. It also has a pretty good editor but the edits are applied to the entire image rather than just a selection.

Capture NX2 is an advanced editor - very powerful and easy. It has it quirks, but is very good for RAW images. With images saved as NEFs - even if they are JPEG's, the edits are totally non-destructive and can be removed later. It also is very efficient in handling versions so you do not need to save multiple copies of files.
Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 06:45 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington Township, US

I have always shot JPEG fine with my D70, but have switched to raw/nef with my d7000. I have found more depth in the pics in raw format and since I boot most of my pics anyway and just tweak on a few, I have found raw the way to go. By the way, AWSOME capture of that owl coming in......WOW

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 12-Feb-11 09:03 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: jpeg"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

Although shooting RAW will decrease the number of available shots on the card you will gain much more PP opportunities in RAW. As mentioned, you will lose some detail each time you make a change, etc. If you shoot RAW and use VNX2 to download to you can convert any or all images to JPEG by going to the convert button in the top right. Then, you'll have both RAW and JPEG and not have had to shoot RAW+JPEG or just JPEG. Should you desire to post or send an image you already have it changed to JPEG. Pretty slick.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5829 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.