Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5768
View in linear mode

Subject: "HD Video Question" Previous topic | Next topic
RobVideo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Thu 10-Feb-11 02:57 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HD Video Question"
Sat 12-Feb-11 12:50 AM by dm1dave

US

Im a proud new confused owner of a D7000. Ive shot some video over the last 2 days and am obviously missing a step or doing something wrong here. I dumped everything on my desktop w a card reader and imported the files into FCP. They look really bad and are obviously low rez to some extent because it looks like tape and nowhere near 1080 HD.

Am I suppose to format these files thru some Pro software between dumping them into FCP? MPEG Streamclip or something? Can anyone walk me thru this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also all setting were OK while shooting. ISO was at 100, shooting different stops but mainly at 1/50.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HD Video Question
RobVideo
10th Feb 2011
Robman3
10th Feb 2011
epicdream Silver Member
10th Feb 2011
RobVideo
11th Feb 2011
Roman_Mongin
14th Feb 2011
RobVideo
15th Feb 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Feb 2011
RobVideo
15th Feb 2011

RobVideo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Thu 10-Feb-11 03:07 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Guess I should add a few things. The video looks great on the cameras display during playback. Its just the files that I transfer to the computer that look overly compressed with alot of rez loss.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 10-Feb-11 05:51 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 1

West of Santa Monica, US

Hi Rob'V,

First the obvious, are the settings for Movie frame size set to 1920 X 1080P? Page 60/61 of the manual.

Second, is FCP set to h.264/MPEG4 codec in the conversion? I'm using CS5 Premiere and am not familiar with iJOBS software.

Third, what card are you using? If it is below a class 6, it will render poorly and not to spec.

Just some thoughts.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

epicdream Silver Member Charter MemberThu 10-Feb-11 08:40 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Cambridge, GB

Hiya,

Assuming all of your settings are correct in camera (1080p, high quality), I use a free program called 5DtoRGB which converts the D7K files to Apple ProRes, I then can edit hassle free in FCP.

You can also use MPEG streamclip and Magic Bullet Grinder (costs $49) which all do the same job.

Try that and see how that works.

Hope this helps.

Neill

RobVideo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Fri 11-Feb-11 11:08 PM
#4. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

So I think my problem may lie within my FCP settings. I have a Express version right now and its limiting me in menu options. After further review the video looks good when I open the files in Quicktime but once they are in FCP they seem to be of #### rez. Thanks for your feedback on this issue I am going to upgrade to a full version of FCP and also start converting to Apple ProRez so I dont have to render ever other move.

Im having some great results with the video otherwise. Looking forward to learning more about this camera and DV all together.

Will post something when I have something to post.

Roman_Mongin Registered since 14th Feb 2011Mon 14-Feb-11 10:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 4

Sydney, AU

Hi Rob,

You need to check the timeline settings in FCP. They need to be something like 1080p, 24fps, apple prores compressor.

I find it a bit hard to edit with the H.264 compressor in FCP. I usually convert the footage to apple prores HQ in order to work with a smother edit

Cheers,
Roman
OneRoadPictures

RobVideo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Tue 15-Feb-11 03:06 AM
#6. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I think the "Express" version of FCP is limiting my choices. It doesnt even give me a 1080 24p option when I choose setup. I think right now its on a DV NTSC setup.

The Express version is kind of janky. I cant ramp the speed on a take without doing alot of extra work. Couple other things are missing as well really need to get the full version.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 15-Feb-11 01:54 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I have lots of software including Vegas Pro 10 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and others.
So far I have not rendered anything with better Video quality than the original QuickTime MOV files.

There is a new Movie Forum for these topics:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=402&page=

RobVideo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Tue 15-Feb-11 03:01 PM
#8. "RE: HD Video Question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Cool thanks for posting the link. I have some reading to do.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5768 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.