Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5767
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera settings" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 10-Feb-11 02:12 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera settings"

US

Just recived my D7000 Monday. I set everything up the way I wanted in the menu.
Raw lossless compressed 14 bit were some of the settings that I changed.
I shot a bunch of pictures just see how well ACR would handle the new NEF's, and all was well.
Today I had my first chance to get out side in nice late afternoon sun light. I shot about 100 of what I thought were were RAW 14 bit NEF's
Fired up the PC put the SD card in the reader and down loaded everything.
But what I had were JPG's not NEF's
Went back to the D7000 menu to find that all of the changes I made changed back to what they were before.
How could this be??? This never happened with the D200.
Anyone have any ideas as to why these settings didn't stick? They were there the first time I took a handful of shots.
Maybe I hit reset settings by mistake, but I don't remember doing so.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Camera settings
Robman3
10th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
10th Feb 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
10th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
10th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
19th Feb 2011

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 10-Feb-11 05:56 AM
1761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Camera settings"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Hello Moose,

Try again, being sure to hit the OK command indicated in the set up field. I found myself doing the changes but not saving though I thought I had and had a few goes at it.

The menu differs from my D90 and D3S and as with most issues mine have been pilot error. Video in particular, it's not the OK button, and so on.

HTH,

Rob

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 10-Feb-11 03:08 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Camera settings"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Rob,

Yes, I did hit the OK button, changes were made and they were active for my first round of test shots.
Some how, two days later, its like every change I made to the settings reverted back to default. I'll be keeping a close eye on these settings until I'm satisfied that they are in fact sticky, which they should be.

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 10-Feb-11 03:36 PM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Camera settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The change from RAW to Jpeg could also have happened if you accidently pressed the "Qual" button on the back of the camera and rotated the rear command dial.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 10-Feb-11 04:19 PM
#4. "RE: Camera settings"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>The change from RAW to Jpeg could also have happened if you
>accidently pressed the "Qual" button on the back of
>the camera and rotated the rear command dial.
>Dave Jolley
>

Thanks for the reply, if the change from RAW to JPG was the only setting that changed, yeah that could be, but everything I changed reverted back to what it was before, very odd.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 19-Feb-11 03:05 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Camera settings"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 19-Feb-11 03:08 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

OK - how about this - did you make all these settings in U1 and then change to U2 thereby losing all these settings?

I think because you lost a lot of different settings, you did something like that.

There are three logical U-modes on the camera - U1, U2, and no-U-mode-whatsoever.

If you make a bunch of settings in one of these modes and switch to the other two logical U-modes everything is now different.

One other possibility - did you make all these settings in either U1 or U2 and then forget to SAVE them? On U1/U2 you have to SAVE the settings otherwise they will be lost if you switch logical U-modes.

One other tip is that you can make setting changes while in U1/U2 and without SAVING they do still hold effect even if you power the camera on or off. HOWEVER the moment you switch logical u-mode you are done (your non-saved settings are lost).

There are a lot of ways to goof up this camera until you internalize this topic - trust me I know from experience

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5767 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.