Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5743
View in linear mode

Subject: "Scuffed Rubber Grip" Previous topic | Next topic
dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Wed 09-Feb-11 01:14 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Scuffed Rubber Grip"

Round Rock, US

Don't laugh just yet, but my fairly new D7k already has scratches or scuffs on the rubber grip area. Does anyone have any tips to smooth out or blend scuffs on this rubber area? I know it's only cosmetic, and has no effect on functionality, but it drives me nuts.

...or do I just have OCD perfectionist tendencies?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 09-Feb-11 10:44 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Scuffed Rubber Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>...or do I just have OCD perfectionist tendencies?

That might be true if it was scuffs and scratches on your photos. The only right answer (for you - I think) is that if normal use of your D7000 inevitably results in the camera appearing to have been used to take photos, then the camera is most likely being put to good use.

On the other hand, if the time needed to replace the rubber grips (there's no way to buff them) detracts from the amount and quality of time spent making photos, then the camera is likely not being put to good use.

Personally, I can't stand the look of a new camera. I much prefer the look of a camera body that appears well used. That well used appearance invariably means that I've spent enough time with it to get to know its quirks, idiosyncracies and picture making qualities.

. . . IMO anyway . . .

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Thu 10-Feb-11 01:17 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Scuffed Rubber Grip"
In response to Reply # 1

Round Rock, US

I guess that I will have to agree. Though, it's really more about my own preference, and I'd never go so far as to re-grip. I'm not worried about resale, just more internally proud of my stuff. I've waited for years to upgrade from a refurb'd D50, so I somehow doubt the D7000 will have a short enough life in my hands to reap whatever value "mint" might bring on the used market.

Guess it's like that first door ding on my first ever "new" car.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Thu 10-Feb-11 12:59 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Scuffed Rubber Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Mine also is a tool used to get good pictures. I don't worry about preserving my gear in mint condition so I can sell it later. It has no intrinsic value to me apart from it's purpose to deliver good images. I respect it and take care to avoid abuse and keep it in good, reliable, operable condition. But I don't baby it or get overly concerned about the inevitable scuff.

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5743 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.