Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5720
View in linear mode

Subject: "7k died in my arms!" Previous topic | Next topic
rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 08-Feb-11 03:13 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"7k died in my arms!"

Winnipeg, CA

Hey folks im on acruise ship sitting having a nice drink when I decided to take another couple of picks and what do you know....no display no nothing! My 7k looks like its given up.Only had about 20 pictures on this charge. Tried to recharging and still nothing no display seems dead. Any ideas? CPR?

Not a happy camper.

Rob./

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 7k died in my arms!
bike2kayak
08th Feb 2011
captainkev
08th Feb 2011
po6ept
08th Feb 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
08th Feb 2011
rlecocq
08th Feb 2011
Ramesses
08th Feb 2011
08th Feb 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Feb 2011
ReadnFool
09th Feb 2011
09th Feb 2011
ReadnFool
13th Feb 2011
Robman3
10th Feb 2011
jhrivera1
11th Feb 2011
rlecocq
15th Feb 2011
captainkev
16th Feb 2011
Robman3
16th Feb 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
16th Feb 2011
rlecocq
01st Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
01st Mar 2011
rlecocq
01st Mar 2011
MEMcD Moderator
01st Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
04th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
04th Mar 2011
rlecocq
04th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
04th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
04th Mar 2011
rlecocq
04th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
05th Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
05th Mar 2011
kamaccord
13th Mar 2011
rlecocq
10th Apr 2011
lautry Silver Member
05th Apr 2012
hyphotographer
04th Apr 2012
05th Apr 2012
km6xz Moderator
05th Apr 2012
photosb
05th Apr 2012

bike2kayak Registered since 09th Apr 2007Tue 08-Feb-11 03:40 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Rob, sorry to hear, especially on a trip. I had a somewhat similar experience, my D7k would suddenly "freeze" up and would not respond to "menu" "info" and shutter would not respond. Turning off and back on did nothing. I could "fix" by taking out the battery and replacing. If this happened and I turned the camera off and left it over night it would drain the battery. It was an intermittent problem and only occurred after taking pictures and letting the camera go into "standyby" mode and it would not wake up. This seemed to happen most often when using a custom U1 setting but I cannot say for certain restricted to this mode. Camera shop told me it was just oxide on the lens mount contacts but cleaning them and lenses did not resolve. I was able to return to my local camera shop after much cajoling - they wanted me to send it in to Nikon for repair but it was less than a week old and I likewise was leaving on a trip. I am waiting to get a new body.

Sounds like your problem is similar, but are not able to reset simply by removing the battery. Nikon tech support recommended doing a reset by holding in the two buttons with green dots simultaneously - this did not work for me. I was on firmware ver 1.01. Hope you can get it resolved soon.

Cheers, Matt

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Tue 08-Feb-11 04:09 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington Township, US

Wow, that sucks. Have had mine for about 2 weeks now and have yet to experience that. Sounds like the computer is locking up. Do you have another battery to try ? Just a thought.

RIP D7K

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Tue 08-Feb-11 04:25 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Feb-11 04:25 PM by po6ept

Peoria, US

It is a long shot, but could you see if it resets with either no lens or a different lens installed?

Also, try removing the memory card(s).

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 08-Feb-11 05:29 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 3

Ellington, US

I would try sticking a pin in the reset hole. Unfortunately, with electronic equipment these days, you have to do this kind of thing every now and then.

I don't have my D7K with me, but I would think there's a physical hole on the unit somewhere that if you stick something in there long and narrow enough to push the button, it will reset the camera to factory settings. I don't know if this will solve the problem, but I would definitely try this before giving up on the unit.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 08-Feb-11 05:42 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 4

Winnipeg, CA

Thanks for the help/suggestions guys. I have tried 2 lenses different mem cards .....nothing. I dont even get the picture count on the top. Ive got guys all around me with canon's taking pictures, I think im going to be sick. I will look for a Nikon body in Puerto Rico if im lucky..D40? "Visa for moments like this!).
Still looking for the reset hole!

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Tue 08-Feb-11 06:33 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 08-Feb-11 06:47 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Rob:

I am very sorry to hear your problems with the D7000, especially in a middle of a cruise. It sounds to me like a camera shutdown when the battery runs down. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the battery and put it back. The green light, next to the info button, is supposed to turn on, for a split second, if the battery is working (it does the same thing when you turn the camera on and off.) If it doesn’t, then it is probably a battery problem or the camera battery contacts. If the green light does turn on, then I have no idea. The bad thing is that the battery was already in place and working when you first experienced the problem, but give it a try anyway.

The D5000 had similar power problems when first introduced and it was a subject of a recall for a range of serial numbers. I did Google about the D7000 and power or shutdown problems, but did not find anything.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 08-Feb-11 07:00 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 6

Ellington, US

Sorry Rob, but I am looking at downloaded D300 and D700 manuals and I don't see any reference to a reset button! I'm surprised as I had always assumed it was there. The manual does advise you do what others in this thread suggest -- remove the battery and reinsert.

I had a similar experience with my D70s on a trip to Washington, DC in the summer of '09 (why do these kind of things always only happen when traveling?). The camera read the battery as drained, so I had to put the camera away and take pictures with my cell phone! I concluded at the time it was related to my new Tamron 17-50 F2.8, but it hasn't happened again since then, yet I use this Tammy as my main lens.

Like I said, this kind of thing only happens when you travel...

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 08-Feb-11 07:12 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

You might take the battery out. With the battery out, turn on the camera, hold the shutter release for 2 minutes, leave camera on for 24 hours. While the camera is sitting, fully charge the battery. Before inserting the battery, turn off the camera. Insert the battery and watch the memory access light. Does the light blink as described in the reference manual?

If it still does not work, it sounds like a call to Nikon support is in order.

There could be a static charge build up, and leaving the camera on with no power might drain that charge.

You are not out by the French Pacific Testing Grounds?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Wed 09-Feb-11 02:23 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

That sucks ....

Hopefully one of the reset suggestions helps.

I can sympathize. My D7000 pop up flash just suddenly quit for no reason the other day. Had worked fine the previous week, went to get some pictures of the dog and bang no flash.

It was repaired by Nikon under warranty and is currently on it's way back to me.

That may be part of the price we pay for being early adopters of new technology, but it will be interesting to see how many others have similar problems.

Steve
ReadnFool

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 09-Feb-11 05:22 PM
#10. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 9

Ellington, US

Wait, your flash died? And you weren't on vacation?

If you were home, you might need the latest firmware update from Nikon. Stuff like this ain't supposed to happen unless/until you're on vacation

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 01:05 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Yeah I know ... that's what threw me off.

Had I been on vacation, or taking pictures of a critical event like the week before when I visited my family for Christmas I would fully expect my flash to fail.

Here I was sitting at home minding my own business and the camera goes and stops working. Very inconsiderate.

On a high note I don't need to upgrade the firmware ... Nikon did that while the replaced the built in flash under warranty.

Steve
ReadnFool

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 10-Feb-11 01:05 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Robbo,

If you can turn it off, and use another fully charged battery (yes battery can die and even show a complete charge) once it turns on, push down Qual, the bottom button on the left side rear, and the +/_ (EV) step button behind the shutter release at the same time for at least a few seconds, this will reset the machine to factory default.

My first trip out with the D3S, it wouldn't allow me to format cards so I did a reset and have been fine ever since.

I also concur to try the lens contacts, another lens etc. or perhaps some Eclipse or alcohol on a cotton swab to clean being carfeul not to touch much else but the contacts themselves pushing in their spring and ball contact in case there is some issue with debris.

Rare but not out of the question, but battery contacts as well.

Good luck,

Rob

jhrivera1 Registered since 06th Jan 2011Fri 11-Feb-11 09:26 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

Daly City, US

Yeah, I had my D7000 break on me also. I returned it to Best Buy and ordered another one from Amazon. During the time when I was waiting for my D7000 to be in stock, I contemplated going with the D90 just because it has been out for a while and the bugs have probably been worked out. I finally received it a couple of days ago and I am relieved that I stuck with it. I'm sure my first D7000 was one of those rare buggy ones, and I'm sure that my new one is going to be alright. Only time will tell. But I would just send it into Nikon or return it to the store that you bought it from. Why mess with it.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 15-Feb-11 10:43 PM
#14. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 12

Winnipeg, CA

Hi guys,just got back from my vacation. First I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support, it was very much appreciated. I tried all of the suggestions above, including a new battery,memory cards,lens resets etc and my 7k is still dead. So its back to Nikon for service.

Very strange how it happened, I had aprox 1000 actuations on it when I took around 5 pictures from the table I was sitting at, turned the camera off,stould up walked a few feet turned it back on to take a few more pictures and it did not wake up.Not a breath of life in it,no display no LED activity...nothing. I had aprox 20 pictures on that charge.

I hope I am the first and last with this issue. I like to think I take very good care of my equiptment however my luck ran out on this one.

Rob./

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Wed 16-Feb-11 12:05 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 14

Washington Township, US

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you find out.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 16-Feb-11 02:58 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

West of Santa Monica, US

Major bummer, sorry Rob, I'm certain it will be fine once they go through a QC check.

Rob

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 16-Feb-11 01:33 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

Port Charlotte, US

You probably encountered what manufacturers call "infant mortality", which is where a component prematurely fails during early use (usually in the first 30 days).

Hopefully you can take some comfort in knowing that Nikon is giving your camera extra-special treatment. Typically manufacturers pay additional attention to the early stage of any new product introduction. They like to examine the first series of failures with more scrutiny, even to the point of doing a root cause analysis for more common failures. This helps determine if they have weak components, manufacturing issues or flaws in the design that must be changed.

I've not seen threads of Nikon's repairs being poor and they definitely want the street to feel comfortable about the D7000's quality since it's a new product.

You'll get your camera back in great shape so you can use the other 149,000 shutter activations left on your D7000.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 01-Mar-11 12:29 AM
#18. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

Winnipeg, CA

Well I got my D7000 back from Nikon Canada. No extra scratches or anything like that,actually they did a nice job cleaning the unit to look like new. I guess it was really but the dust on the eye cup area was cleaned completely I noticed.

My dealer Don's Photo took care of all the paperwork and shipping...very nice.

Unfortunately they were not very specific about what they replaced other than saying "replaced circuit clean and adjust :part TOGO PCB UNIT", so we will never know, but I guess it does not matter really. The total turnaround time was just over a week which was very fast.Seems to function all ok.

Now just to regain my confidence in this camera and I'm all set.

Rob./

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 01-Mar-11 01:14 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 18

Port Charlotte, US

Rob,
Now that you have it back make sure of the following: (LOL)

- Stop using the D7000 to crack open walnuts.
- No longer give to your kids to play with during bath time.
- Do not throw it in the back of your pickup when you go 4-wheeling.
- Stop using it underwater without an enclosure.
- Next time you need to pound in a nail, get a hammer.
- Don't let your brother-in-law borrow it..... ever!
- Same with mother-in-law!
- Ditto with neighbor!
- If someone asks you if they can use your camera in a Samsonite luggage commercial, tell then no.

Obviously kidding. If you ask most D7000 users they'll tell you they're very confident about its reliability.

Besides, a great reason to book another cruise...for all those photos you missed, right??

Happy photographing.

Larry

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Tue 01-Mar-11 02:22 AM
#20. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 19

Winnipeg, CA

That Polaroid you have there looks like the reliable beast I'm looking for, but the sonic auto-focus is the deal breaker....LOL!

>Rob,
>Now that you have it back make sure of the following: (LOL)
>
>- Stop using the D7000 to crack open walnuts.
>- No longer give to your kids to play with during bath time.
>- Do not throw it in the back of your pickup when you go
>4-wheeling.
>- Stop using it underwater without an enclosure.
>- Next time you need to pound in a nail, get a hammer.
>- Don't let your brother-in-law borrow it..... ever!
>- Same with mother-in-law!
>- Ditto with neighbor!
>- If someone asks you if they can use your camera in a
>Samsonite luggage commercial, tell then no.
>
>Obviously kidding. If you ask most D7000 users they'll tell
>you they're very confident about its reliability.
>
>Besides, a great reason to book another cruise...for all those
>photos you missed, right??
>
>Happy photographing.
>

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Mar-11 06:16 AM
25677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

US

Hi Rob,

Glad they got you up and running again.
Thanks for the follow up.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 04-Mar-11 12:18 PM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

Lafayette, US

>Unfortunately they were not very specific about what they
>replaced other than saying "replaced circuit clean and
>adjust :part TOGO PCB UNIT", so we will never know, ....
>
>Rob./
>
>
I don't know what the TOGO stands for? However, PCB means "Printed Circuit Board" while PCBs seldom give problems, they will usually do so within the first few hours of use. When they go, they are DEAD. As you found out, no tweeking or nursing back to life.

I think you are good to go now. I beat Nikon did a burn-in on the new PCB and the rest of the camera to insure it won't be returned again for a similar issue.

Enjoy your 7K. I love mine.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 04-Mar-11 03:55 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 22

Toronto, CA

The TOGO PCB is the main board in a Nikon DSLR. Several things (aside from the flaws which can creep in during mass production) can occur to mess up the TOGO. If the camera sustains a heavy static charge, a TOGO can die (usually because either the eprom or a diode gets fried). If the camera is subjected to excess moisture while a port is open, internal contacts on the TOGO can corrode and fry the thing. If a cheap, third-party battery is used, its poor/non-existent power management can in some situations fry the TOGO. Last but not least, and probably the most likely cause for the problem, the TOGO was originally assembled using some out-of-spec components that combined to destabilize and eventually ruin the whole board.

Nikon doesn't repair a TOGO. The board is replaced. Once installed, the EEPROM on the board is adjusted to spec, then the whole camera is calibrated to spec. The repaired D7000 should be a champ - tweaked exactly to spec and tested.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Fri 04-Mar-11 06:25 PM
#24. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 23

Winnipeg, CA

Thanks for the insight, well I know static was not the issue with all of the humidity on board the ship!, The ambient temps were quite hot and with the camera being exposed to direct sunlight for around 30 min or so my best guess at the time was a current limiting fuse that was defective or not to spec let go as soon as I started the unit up(inrush of current combined with the temps).

When I got the unit back I did notice my firmware was upgraded, which I had not bothered to do.

I wonder if the main board was replaced, would my actuations not be re-set as well? I should check that...? Im curious. I know that My prefix for the file name was re-set back to DSC from RFL which I had changed.

Cheers,
Rob./

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 04-Mar-11 10:12 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 24

Toronto, CA

>I wonder if the main board was replaced, would my actuations
>not be re-set as well? I should check that...? Im curious. I
>know that My prefix for the file name was re-set back to DSC
>from RFL which I had changed.

Good question about acutations. My assumption has always been that a service technician won't think twice about a shutter actuation count below 7,5000. With a shutter rated for 150,000 actuations, some relatively nominal amount (7,500 or 5%) reset to zero on a basically new D7000 is inconsequential I think. Maybe the reset threshold is lower - I'm guessing.

With a new EEPROM (on the new TOGO PCB) as well as a firmware update, it's not possible to automatically preserve your custom settings (or, probably the shutter actuation count) during service unless the technician first exports and saves your settings. If the camera was truly dead upon arrival at Nikon, my guess is the service technician likely had no way of capturing your custom settings (or shutter actuation count) in the first place.

The only way to check actuation count is to, um, check the actuation count. Maybe the technician found the countwhen he tested the old TOGO board and then added the count when he configured the new EEPROM.

My Nikonians Gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 04-Mar-11 10:39 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 25
Fri 04-Mar-11 10:40 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hello,

There are many (different) components on a printed circuit board. Usually the board itself doesn't fail, a component on the board fails. When it does, it might take down some connected, neighboring components. Component failure, such as an integrated circuit, is a well studied phenomena and the one that may have died in your camera was probably in spec. (There are very few components with zero failure probability). I'm not sure why we're highlighting diodes and EEPROMs in this conversation. There are many other components equally (or perhaps more) likely to fail.

Carrying on with the speculation, I doubt it had anything to do with moisture, static electricity, in-rush current, or physical shock, although any one of those may have been the "last straw" to a component pre-disposed to failure.

Here is a look inside your D7000. They must have replaced one of the boards inside.

Is the serial number the same as your original? Just curious.

Cheers,
Peter

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Fri 04-Mar-11 11:42 PM
#27. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 26

Winnipeg, CA

Hello,

Being an electronics technician by trade for over 20yrs I can appreciate from this end we are just making an educated guess. In all likleyhood the Nikon tech subbded the board and bingo it took care of the problem, but always interesting/fun to speculate.

My exif info reflects my total count(3610) to date before the "death" So in all probability a Eprom dump and re-flash occured on the operating table

Yes serial number is same, as well as a few of my settings such as copyright etc.

Rob./

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 12:20 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 27

Kingston, CA

>My exif info reflects my total count(3610) to date before the
>"death" So in all probability a Eprom dump and
>re-flash occured on the operating table
>Yes serial number is same, as well as a few of my settings
>such as copyright etc.

Hi Rob. Yep, or maybe the PCB they swapped out was not the one with the flash memory that stores your settings and shutter count. Cheers, Peter

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 12:09 AM
#28. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

Port Charlotte, US

OK, I'll put on my old electronic product manager hat.

You experienced what is called "infant mortality rate". That term deals with the reality that a small percentage of components or printed circuit boards will fail during the first 90-days of service. After 90-days components are considered good and will last up to or beyond the MTBF (explained in the next paragraph). Most companies try to burn-in devices for a period of time before shipment to weed out most of the failures, but a very small failure percentage is considered reasonable and acceptable.

MTBF or Mean (or average) Time Between Failure is a standard term used to describe the reliability of an electronic device. In other words, given a large sample of devices, what is the average time before a given device will fail. Bell Labs and N.I.S.T (National Institute of Standards and Technology) put together methodologies for testing and calculating the MTBF of various components, PCBs and devices.

The overall MTBF is arrived at by calculating the theoretical MTBF of all the components on a PCB plus the PCB and then calculating the MTBF of all the PBC's in a device and working up to the entire device. They used the same type of statistical methodology applied to mechanical parts to determine that the MTBF of the shutter mechanism is 150,000 actuations, for example.

So to sum it up in real-world terms, your D7000 had a critical component failure on a printed circuit board that rendered the camera inoperative (of course you all ready know that). Nikon expects that a small, but acceptable, percentage of cameras will experience infant mortality. The percentage of acceptable failures affects the cost of the device so it's a balancing act. If they tried for 0% failures, the D7000 might cost $100,000 each or something idiotic like that.

Once repaired, your chances of experiencing a second failure on the same camera are now extremely, extremely small.

Aren't you glad you ask?

Larry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 12:24 AM
#30. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 28

Kingston, CA

Well said!

>Once repaired, your chances of experiencing a second failure
>on the same camera are now extremely, extremely small.

Hmmm... why would the probability of a second failure be any different? I would agree that the single probability of two failures is very, very small, but the probability of a single failure is the same. (It is like gambling. Every time you play the probability of winning (or losing) is the same. There's no such thing as memory, as in, "I haven't won in a while so my chances of winning are going up").

>Aren't you glad you ask?

Fun conversation!

Peter

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 05-Mar-11 12:42 AM
#31. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"

Toronto, CA

>I'm not sure why we're highlighting diodes and EEPROMs in
>this conversation. There are many other components equally
>(or perhaps more) likely to fail.

I don't think that I (or anyone else) "highlighted" diodes or EEPROMs. But the problem experienced by the OP is very similar to a problem which occured with some D40 bodies, and that problem was quickly traced to bad diodes and corrupt EEPROMs. Of course it's just speculation in this case.

My Nikonians Gallery

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 04:05 AM
#32. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 31

Port Charlotte, US

Hi Peter,
You're correct from the perspective of the outcome that you will either win or lose each time you bet, however, you can change the odds or statistical probability of winning.

If I put two cards face down (one being an ace) and bet you that you can't find the ace, you have a 50/50 shot at winning. Now if I put 50 cards face down with only one ace, my probability of winning is higher while you still have a 50/50 chance of the card you pick either being an ace or not.

The rest of the camera has successfully been used beyond factory testing (lets call it additional testing outside the factory). The camera wasn't destroyed so it's assumed that only the failed component was replaced. It then went through more factory testing to make sure it was ready to ship and met factory specs.

Most of the components have now been tested 3-times - pre-ship, field tested by the customer and pre-ship after repair. A large part of the camera has passed extended testing except for the replaced component. That camera has a higher probability of extended successful operation than cameras just coming off the assembly line. Combine that with the low odds of a second failure of a warranty repair (very low) and you've got a very good probability of a positive outcome.

Now, can the camera fail tomorrow, absolutely, but I wouldn't bet on it!

Have a good one.

Larry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 11:45 AM
#33. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 32

Kingston, CA

Good points Larry, I agree.

I was thinking that with the information we have, generally the camera is no better or worse than any other 3 month old D7000. The new component was selected from inventory just like any other and its probability of failing is the same as the previous component.

I suppose the lab bench testing may add a positive edge but maybe not. It is probably a basic functional test, a simulation of using the camera.

Cheers,
Peter

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 05-Mar-11 03:05 PM
#34. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 33

Toronto, CA

It's possible too - as John suggested earlier - that the Nikon technician did a burn-in of the new board. If so, the D7000 should be rock solid now.

My Nikonians Gallery

kamaccord Registered since 19th Feb 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 01:30 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I experienced the same problem with my D5000 while on a Carnival cruise and my camera was brand new. I too had about 20 pictures. When I returned home I sent the camera back to Nikon and they repaired the camera and did not document the problem on the invoice. The camera was returned in less than a week.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Sun 10-Apr-11 12:35 AM
#36. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 35

Winnipeg, CA

Wow..ok so I wasn't the only one with nikon/cruise ship incompatibility!

Rob./

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Thu 05-Apr-12 06:34 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 36

Panama City Beach, US

Cruise on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. My D7000 worked fine. D7000 failure is not permitted on RCCL.

Larry

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Wed 04-Apr-12 11:45 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 35

GB

D7000 is reliable? I have used it since 16 of March 2012 until today, 4/4/2012 and it is still work like rock.

I like it. My shutter count is about 15000 now, I have been working hard...

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 05-Apr-12 01:06 AM
#38. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 37

Ellington, US

I have one of the early D7000 builds from 2010, yet my camera has been rock solid as well. No issues, no glitches, no problems.

Well, maybe one -- the photographer

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 05-Apr-12 06:27 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 38

St Petersburg, RU

No mystery at all regarding the retained shutter count. The DG board, the main processor board was not replaced. That board is called the DG PCB and would have required complete alignment and calibration. The TOGO board is the power control board, essentially the power supply. The most common problem there is simply a fuse but since it is surface mount(SMD) type it is not changed in the field but on the next higher assembly level....replacing the pc board that it is soldered to.
Cruise ships do have a static problem even with relatively high humidity and it is very common for sensitive electronics to fail on a ship that is underway. There are miles of synthetic carpets, with thousands of shuffling feet. The interior humidity is not so low since there are tons of water removed by air conditioning every few hours. A location 4-7 stories above the water line is quite a different climate than water level. The risks are higher on a cruise ship than your living room for ESD damage to devices with millions of CMOS gates, any one of which could possibly halt the camera, or any other electronic device such as your phone, laptop or iPOD etc.
I host 45,000 cruise passengers every summer in the Baltic Sea region and you would be amazed at the number of people who have personal electronics die on the cruise.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

photosb Registered since 30th Jan 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 06:46 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: 7k died in my arms!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Best of luck to you. I met this before. I just removed the battery and reinstalled it. It works.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5720 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.