Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5661
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual vs Program Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Sun 06-Feb-11 07:37 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual vs Program Mode"

Port Washington/New York, US

Based upon advice given on these boards, I have been experimenting with the different modes of shooting with my D7000. I'm finding that I get many more of what would be keepers when shooting in Manual mode (I set ISO, Aperture and shutter speed). I had never shot in manual before. Its actually almost as easy as program mode once you've done it a few times.

Keep all the good tips coming.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Manual vs Program Mode
jmiguez Silver Member
07th Feb 2011
captainkev
07th Feb 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
08th Feb 2011
jadiniz
08th Feb 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
09th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
09th Feb 2011

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Mon 07-Feb-11 05:32 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

I am just the opposite. I shoot 80-90% in program mode, only using aperture and speed when I need the additional control. I figure the camera is generally smarter than I am.

Since I shoot in RAW, I can adjust any but the most grievous of mistakes...like...misfocus.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Mon 07-Feb-11 10:48 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington Township, US

I have just finished reading the 3rd of Scott Kelbys books and his recurring view on this is shoot Manual if you are in a studio with strobes and light meters. Shoot Program if you may have a quick shot come up and dont want flash to pop, shoot App or Shutter for the rest...........has worked for me so far......JMHO

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Tue 08-Feb-11 12:40 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

It all depends.... I shoot manual if I'm taking a series for a pano. I shoot aperture priority most of the time - because I want to control DOF. I shoot shutter priority if I am walking around in the woods with a 50-500 OS - I keep the shutter speed at 400, leave OS on, and set auto ISO - it lets OS work wonders for me while hand-holding at 500mm. It all depends, but these cameras are darn smart and the D7000 is the smartest ever. The matrix metering works wonders, so do the scene modes - shoot aperture or shutter priority and add +EV for snow and beaches or shoot scene mode for snow and beaches and watch the miracle. There is no one right answer other than knowing the capabilities of the camera and taking charge when you know the camera may get confused or you know what the programmed answer is and you don't want that answer - that happens less and less as these cameras get smarter and smarter. IMO.

Visit my gallery.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 08-Feb-11 12:54 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Estoril, PT

My standard mode is P with easy-ISO. This way, my rear dial controls aperture-speed balance (jogs between depth of field control and shutter speed selection as required, one way or the other) and the front dial selects ISO. I find this incredibly easy and fast.

However, when working with speedlights, I usually go Manual, to allow the fine balancing between foreground (flash-lit) and background (available light). I wish we had a third dial, to always have on hand the full exposure triangle...

The reason many will experience a greater ratio of keepers when working Mnual mode may have to do with these pictures being more carefully thought out and executed, not with any hidden virtue of the mode itself. Shutter speed and aperture will always be shutter speed and aperture, regardless of the selection method chosen. A good exposure, adequate to the subject, can be achieved in many ways, but the values will always be the same. Fast shutter for freezing, slow shutter for bluring, large aperture for bokeh, small aperture for big DOF, low ISO for low noise, high ISO for sensitivity. Choose the best combination of the three, and adjust overall exposure for the lighting available and measuring method used.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 09-Feb-11 02:34 PM
1385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

You can take your use of manual settings one step further by using Auto ISO. The camera does an excellent job of getting a good exposure by varying the ISO. And you still have the ability to use exposure compensation if the situation warrants. In this case, it is the ISO which is modified. The real benefit of this is that the camera always uses the minimum ISO to get a good exposure.
The advantage of Camera Manual is that you choose the f stop and aperture that you want and is appropriate for the situation. If you choose Aperture Priority, you may get an undesirable shutter speed. The reverse is true in Shutter Priority. In Program, the camera is choosing settings that may be perfect or totally inappropriate.
I do alot of sports and wildlife shooting. Being able to control both A and S gives me the desired end result. Other folks have different needs, but having control of the exposure is desirable from my point of view.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 09-Feb-11 05:12 PM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Manual vs Program Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Based upon advice given on these boards, I have been
>experimenting with the different modes of shooting with my
>D7000. I'm finding that I get many more of what would be
>keepers when shooting in Manual mode (I set ISO, Aperture and
>shutter speed).

Manual mode based on what metering? How are your manual settings differing from what the camera is suggesting?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5661 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.