Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5633
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hour glass appears in rear screen.......sometimes." Previous topic | Next topic
ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sun 06-Feb-11 10:35 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hour glass appears in rear screen.......sometimes."
Sun 06-Feb-11 10:36 AM by ronaldbegg

Ocean Grove, AU

Hi, on taking some shots, the hour glass symbol appears in the rear screen and lasts for a few seconds.

Normally, the shutter fires and the image appears immediately on the screen.

So, on occasions, it looks as though the file is not being written to the camera memory quickly enough......maybe my diagnosis is off a bit.

Any ideas as to what may be going on...I shoot in JPG Fine at max resolution.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 06-Feb-11 11:09 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hour glass appears in rear screen.......sometimes."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 06-Feb-11 05:37 PM by billD80

US

>So, on occasions, it looks as though the file is not being
>written to the camera memory quickly enough...

That would be my guess. When this happens, are you shooting at a high FPS rate? Then, bingo! That's likely the issue, as the buffer is filling.

If it's just happening with single shots, or not too many, then perhaps the SD Card is the issue.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 06-Feb-11 12:33 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hour glass appears in rear screen.......sometimes."
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

I don't have a D7000 but would venture a guess that if some shots are high ISO and/or long exposure the camera may be pausing to apply some noise reduction. Might this be the case? Cheers, Peter

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sun 06-Feb-11 02:51 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hour glass appears in rear screen.......sometimes."
In response to Reply # 2

Ocean Grove, AU

>I don't have a D7000 but would venture a guess that if some
>shots are high ISO and/or long exposure the camera may be
>pausing to apply some noise reduction. Might this be the
>case? Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, that makes sense to me

Ron

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5633 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.