Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5505
View in linear mode

Subject: "how to get DOF for this shot" Previous topic | Next topic
d7000808 Registered since 10th Dec 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 08:23 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"how to get DOF for this shot"

US

I'm trying to acquaint myself with the focusing options of the D7000. One shot in particular, with 5 people sitting next to each other side by side perplexes me. The shot will be done from the side, layering their profiles. DOF needs to be maximized so "old school" I'm shooting aperture. Should I do a "wrap around" and choose AF39 instead?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can you be a bit more specific
Len Shepherd Gold Member
02nd Feb 2011
Reply message RE: how to get DOF for this shot
Gamecocks Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
aolander Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
d7000808
02nd Feb 2011
sabbey51 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Feb 2011
d7000808
02nd Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator
03rd Feb 2011
kytra
03rd Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator
03rd Feb 2011
Murseeker
03rd Feb 2011
d7000808
04th Feb 2011

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 02-Feb-11 09:49 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can you be a bit more specific"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>The shot will be done from the side, layering their profiles. DOF needs to be maximized
Can you be a bit more specific please?
If you mean 5 people in a line parallel to the camera body, but each person sitting sideways on, f8 and likely f5.6 is OK.
If you mean side by side but in a line at right angles to the sensor you need the smallest aperture on your lens and to manual focus on about the second person in to have a chance of getting enough depth of field.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 11:11 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hello Derek,

You can go to www.dofmaster.com and put in the variables to find the near distance and infinity distance. They have recently added the 7k to their list of cameras and it works very good. Good luck.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 02-Feb-11 02:03 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 02-Feb-11 02:05 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Where you focus and the aperture you use is going to determine what's in focus, not the way you AF.

Alan

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 02:52 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

>I'm trying to acquaint myself with the focusing options of
>the D7000. One shot in particular, with 5 people sitting next
>to each other side by side perplexes me. The shot will be done
>from the side, layering their profiles. DOF needs to be
>maximized so "old school" I'm shooting aperture.
>Should I do a "wrap around" and choose AF39
>instead?

Old school techniques for this image should serve you well. The physics of the lens and focusing are the same as with old film cameras.
AF39 will likely not help and may hurt as you will not be able to control where the focus is. Single focus on the eye of second person from front in a row extending into background with large aperture. If all in the same plane with camera focus on center persons eye with an f-stop 5.6 or above. Remember to hold camera still w tripod or hand held with high enough shutter speed. This camera has very high resolution and motion blur which may not be visible with old cameras will be seen with this especially when you zoom in or crop.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

d7000808 Registered since 10th Dec 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 06:10 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I apologize for not being specific enough. Here's the situation in greater detail.

There are 5 young women sitting on a table, shoulder to shoulder, facing forward. They are judging something in front of them. I'm shooting at their eye level from the side, about 30 degrees from their alignment, slightly in front of them. My positioning is an attempt to get a head/shoulder shot of them all with profiles layering onto each other. I"m using either a 17-55 or 85. DOF is the problem. I don't have a longer focal length to make the shot easier.

Thank you all for input. Nikonians has been such a nice resource for me.

mahalo,

Derek

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 07:49 PM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 5

Saddle river, US

Derek:

I've taken similar shots, most recently of my mom, her sister and sister's husband lined up at the dinner table. I was only able to get one of them in focus at a time, but actually thought it created a very nice image with the out-of-DOF parts of the shot creating a great illusion of depth. Of course, it all depends what you want to achieve.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 02-Feb-11 07:58 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

Thanks for the clarification!

Sadly, with the equipment you have, I think you'll struggle to get sufficient Depth of Field for all 5 subjects to be acceptably sharp

Using the 85mm lens, I think you might be maybe 7-8 feet from the nearest subject in order to get them all in the frame. So using the suggestions above, you'd be focused at something like 10 feet. At that distance, even using a small aperture like f/16, the total DoF is only about 2.6 feet (1.1 feet in front of the focus point and 1.5 feet behind it). That almost certainly won't cover all 5 heads.

The "focus stacking" technique - whereby you take several shots, each focused on a different point, then combine then using software - might help, but I haven't tried it and suspect it would be tricky with a subject like this where the subject(s) may move slightly between shots.

One certain answer would be to buy (or rent) a tilt/shift ("Perspective Control" or "PC" in Nikon parlance), with which you can tilt the plane of focus rather than have it parallel to the sensor as normal. You'll find more information on these lenses over in our Manual Focus Lenses Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

d7000808 Registered since 10th Dec 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 10:37 PM
#8. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 7

US

would i be able to pull of a shot like this with a 70-300VR?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 03-Feb-11 08:23 AM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Not really.

If you used 300mm focal length and could move back to (say) 30 feet, DoF would still be even shallower than with the 85mm at 10 feet. I suggest you play around with the DoF calculator linked in the earlier post to show that more focal length won't help.

Using a shorter focal length (like your 17-55mm at the wider end) and moving closer does increase DoF, but then I suspect you would not have the perspective you are looking for.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kytra Registered since 27th Mar 2010Thu 03-Feb-11 09:55 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 9

RO

Maybe use a good quality p&s? The smaller the sensor the greater the DOF. If you can get one that shoots raw and you keep the ISO down by enough lightning of thr scene it should give you a good enough image. Depends what you want to do after, i mean print or not, and what size.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 03-Feb-11 10:57 AM
#11. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

>Maybe use a good quality p&s?

Good suggestion

Something like a Nikon Coolpix P7000 would be worth considering. It's not inexpensive, but would be cheaper than a PC lens...!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 03-Feb-11 08:55 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 10

Breitenbach, CH

Fully agree to this proposal. It happens every then and now to me that not the "big" D7k, but the little P&S (Canon S95) is the perfect tool to master a specific situation.

d7000808 Registered since 10th Dec 2010Fri 04-Feb-11 01:35 AM
#13. "RE: how to get DOF for this shot"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Aghh. Bigger is not always better huh? Gonna try the shot with my wife's PNS a DMC FZ 28. Thank you for the suggestion. It was my hope that when I acquired the D7000 with a fast lens it would help resolve this issue. This shot has been bugging me for about a year.

Funny you should mention the S95. I was thinking of buying my wife that camera since she wants to downsize. Gotta play tag team to pull this off I guess.

Thanks again guys.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5505 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.