Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5459
View in linear mode

Subject: "Snow Scene Mode ?" Previous topic | Next topic
captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Tue 01-Feb-11 04:06 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Snow Scene Mode ?"

Washington Township, US

Awaiting the Blizzard coming into Michigan tonight and looking forward to some great snow pics after it blows through tomorrow.
What is the primary difference between using the Snow Scene mode vs. manually stepping up the exposure for snow ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 01-Feb-11 05:00 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Snow Scene Mode ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

According to the manual (Page 43), the built-in flash and auto-assist illuminator are turned off. There is no mention of exposure change.

The D7000 Digital Field Guide by Thomas (page 33) says that the camera many underexpose sand and snow, and the the beach/snow scene mode adds some exposure compensation to ensure that the sand/snow appears to be gleaming white.

Couldn't this also be done in post processing?

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Visit my Nikonians
allery>.

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 01-Feb-11 05:14 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Snow Scene Mode ?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 01-Feb-11 05:16 PM by HayMower

US

Just for fun, I tried the beach/snow scene mode and the P mode on the same subject - trees and blowing snow in my back yard.

This was using my 50mm lens - the one that stays on the camera most of the time.

P mode - 1/200 f7.1 ISO 100
beach/snow mode - 1/250 f10 ISO 320

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Sun 06-Feb-11 10:22 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Snow Scene Mode ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Washington Township, US

Well the snow came and left. The pic in my gallery titled For the Love of Hockey, was shot with my 80-400 vr lens at 390, handheld in Snow/Beach Mode. Son of gun...........it worked.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.