Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5440
View in linear mode

Subject: "Achieving satisfaction with my D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 03:56 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"

Warsaw, US

Well, the sun came out yesterday, so I took the D7k and the AFS 300mm f4 out for a walk. I have been stuggling with exposure more than sharpness as others have. I feel I'm finally getting the results I want. I wanted to share a few photos from yesterday because I feel they are the best wildlife photos I've shot with the D7k. I was afraid the snow was going to be a real challenge. I used Matrix metering with 0EV adjustment (could have went to the plus side), and ADL set to low. I also used auto WB. I did some PP (from RAW) and had to adjust WB a little as the sun made the snow too warm.

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Wayne

ISO320, 1/640, f6.3

ISO400, 1/1000, f6.3

ISO320, 1/640, f6.3

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000
briantilley Moderator
01st Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
jadiniz
01st Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
06th Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
06th Feb 2011
admiralmatt
02nd Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2011
Chooch88
04th Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
captainkev
06th Feb 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 01-Feb-11 08:34 AM
28734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Very nice results, Wayne - well done

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 11:28 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hello Wayne,

Pictures look great. You should consider putting them in the "call for images" post on this forum.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 01-Feb-11 12:10 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Great images, color rendition and resolution are terrific!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 03:51 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

Very satisfying indeed, you can be proud of these pictures!

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 10:06 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Warsaw, US

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. I noticed that the snow in the photos looks brighter and more white after uploading them. Does this have something to do with color management?

I have a few more "snow" photos and others that are favorites from my time with the D7k in this album.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/17787/ppuser/319002

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 06-Feb-11 12:36 AM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

Internet Explorer is a non-color-profile-aware browser. That can be a problem (cause a difference in look) if the photos are other than sRGB profile.

Most other browsers are color-aware so they don't have a problem rendering for example AdobeRGB photos. Could also be a simple difference in background (e.g. black background within browser and grey within ViewNX could give it a "different look").

Great photos BTW.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 06-Feb-11 12:38 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

Nice shots. The low afternoon sun is one thing that makes them great.

Photo mechanic tells me the image files have this profile embedded in them: ICC Profile: Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3002 (embedded) I would think there is not a color management problem.

Peter

admiralmatt Registered since 18th Jan 2011Wed 02-Feb-11 12:34 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

Wayne- I'm just an amateur but think these are great shots. Going to buy a D7000 very shortly. Hope my pics come out as nice.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 11:31 PM
#9. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 02-Feb-11 11:35 PM by wwt67

Warsaw, US

Thanks Matthew,
I'm just an amateur also. I'm sure you will love the D7000.
I had a D5000 prior to the D7000 and now I think the D5000 feels a little neglected.

Keep us posted on your new camera!

BTW, the photos of your dogs are great!

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 04:28 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

Perfection.
Were these done hand held?
I assume these were without your teleconverter. Is this correct?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 11:16 PM
#8. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Warsaw, US

Hi John,

Perfection? Wow, thanks!

The photos above were taken with the 300 f4 only. I do have some other photos from that day with the 300/1.4 TC combo in the album link above. Look at the image name in the album. If it ends with 300 it's 300mm, if it ends with 420 it's 420mm (w/1.4 TC).
Most of the time I was hand-holding and other times I braced the lens against a tree. I don't remember what photos were only hand held.

I must say I really like your photos you posted in this forum recently using the 70-200 1.7TC combo. Actually I posted these photos just to try to keep ahead of you. HA! No, just joking.

I used the same setup as you for about 6 months and then bought the AFS 300mm f4 lens for more reach. Honestly, I no longer use the 70-200 with a TC. The 300mm at f6.3 is incredibly sharp. At other apertures it is less sharp but still very good.

Chooch88 Registered since 14th Jan 2009Fri 04-Feb-11 11:49 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

OK, not sure if I did this right but I decided to crop one of your pictures in consideration of removing what is distracting and allowing the birds to pop. I had a teacher who made a point of asking why we decided to leave items in photos in the fringes. Not that it's a bad thing...just that you make it a purposeful decision. Anyway the crop allows us to focus on the birds but the cost is some scene perspective. Which you prefer is up to you.I also spot healed a few brown specks that to me again were distracting. Beautiful photos by the way!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Fri 04-Feb-11 09:37 PM
#11. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Warsaw, US

Mark,
I see your point. I was trying to keep more of the snow in the photos but didn't give enough thought about the objects around the edges. In the first photo I wanted to crop out the "headless duck" but thought it was better to just leave it.
Thanks for the tips.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 04-Feb-11 11:28 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>Mark,
>I see your point.

Mark's crop is great, based on your capture.

You've got a great image here! Congratulations. Wish it was mine.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

captainkev Registered since 24th Jan 2011Sun 06-Feb-11 01:20 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Achieving satisfaction with my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington Township, US

Wonderful shots. I especially like the Flapping Hen with the headless Drake. Amazing how angle changes perspective.
The lighting was great, it allowed you to show the water droplets from the melted snow on the sitting drake in the last picture.

Nice job.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5440 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.