Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5232
View in linear mode

Subject: "HDR settings for my D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Tue 25-Jan-11 04:43 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HDR settings for my D7000"

Venice, US

Can I use my remote (ML-L3) in Continuous Mode?

I want to do AEB (automatice exposure bracketing) for HDR and take 3 shots at +2, 0 -2 EV.

I set the self-timer at 3 shots with a 0.5s interval between shots.

The D7000 lets me choose the release mode as Continuous low speed (CL), continuous high speed (CH) or Remote control, but not any combination of speed and remote.

I want to press the remote once not three times. Is it possible to set this up?

Patrick, Dr. Buick, or "Doc" or professor

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HDR settings for my D7000
pwarbeck Silver Member
26th Jan 2011
profpb Gold Member
26th Jan 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
26th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
26th Jan 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
BillboTex
27th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
profpb Gold Member
27th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
27th Jan 2011
po6ept
01st Feb 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
profpb Gold Member
01st Feb 2011
elec164 Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
01st Feb 2011
po6ept
01st Feb 2011
profpb Gold Member
02nd Feb 2011

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 26-Jan-11 05:20 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Jan-11 05:21 PM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

I had the same problem and solved it by buying a Nikon MC-DC2 wired cable release. It works exactly like the main shutter release button, so you can set the release mode as CH and then take all three shots with a single press of the MC-DC2 button.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Wed 26-Jan-11 07:45 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Venice, US

Thank you, I just purchased the MC-DC2 at your suggestion.

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Wed 26-Jan-11 08:05 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Hamilton, US

I did not realize that the IR remote will not allow the auto bracketing. I assume that you plug the MC-DC2 in the micro USB port on the camera? I just purchased one from Overstock.com for $7.49.
Thanks

Mark4ENikon

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Wed 26-Jan-11 09:11 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

With the IR remote you would need to press the button once for each shutter release. The MC-DC2 plugs into the USB port. $7.49 is a very good price.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Thu 27-Jan-11 01:41 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Hamilton, US

Thanks

Mark4ENikon

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Thu 27-Jan-11 01:20 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

Thanks to all for this info. pwar, if I am willing to press the ML-L3 for each exposure in my HDR bracket, how do I set up for a 5 shot AEB?

Where do I enter self timer info?
Do I set release mode to remote (or CL/CH)?
Does the process work with Live View or Mirror Up, or both?

And lastly, will your suggested setup work with just bracketed shots, handheld using one shutter button press?

TIA

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 27-Jan-11 04:38 PM
#7. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Tucson AZ, US

I explained how I do it at the top of this discussion:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4544&mesg_id=4544&page=3

Although I explain how to do it for 9 shots, once you understand the method, it's easy to set it up for 5. For example, in A mode you would shoot a single shot, but two shots in U1 and U2. If you are unsure, I'll post explicit instructions for 5 shots in that thread.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Thu 27-Jan-11 06:39 PM
#10. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Hamilton, US

>Although I explain how to do it for 9 shots, once you
>understand the method, it's easy to set it up for 5. If you are unsure, I'll post explicit
>instructions for 5 shots in that thread.

Would you mind explaining how to do it for 5 shots? I would appreciate it since I am still learning my way around on the D7000.

Thanks

Mark4ENikon

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 27-Jan-11 07:24 PM
#11. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Tucson AZ, US

OK, I updated the other discussion. Please read the chapter in the D7000 manual on bracketing (p. 109) to understand how exposure bracketing works and what the buttons and dials do. Good luck, and let me know if you have any problems.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Thu 27-Jan-11 08:26 PM
#13. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Hamilton, US

Thanks for your help... much appreciated.

Mark4ENikon

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Thu 27-Jan-11 05:38 PM
#9. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Venice, US

The reason I want to press the remote only once is to minimize the time between exposures to 0.5 sec. I hope this will reduce the movement between the three exposures I shoot in HDR.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 27-Jan-11 07:31 PM
#12. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Tucson AZ, US

With the MC-DC2 you will press the button only once. In CH release mode, the camera will fire three shots off very quickly (CH can record up to 6 frames a second).

Visit my gallery on 23hq

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 27-Jan-11 04:41 PM
#8. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

My only quibbles about the MC-DC2 are (1) the long flimsy wire and (2) the lack of a lock to prevent accidental pressing of the release button. Since I always shoot from a tripod, I plan to attach it to the tripod somehow (velcro?) so it doesn't dangle and get tangled up, and so I can find it without chasing wires.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 05:36 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 01-Feb-11 05:39 AM by po6ept

Peoria, US

>I did not realize that the IR remote will not allow the auto
>bracketing. I assume that you plug the MC-DC2 in the micro
>USB port on the camera? I just purchased one from
>Overstock.com for $7.49.
>Thanks

I purchased the same one and what I received was a cheap knockoff product labeled simply RS-3006, Made In China. The plug is extremely tight so I am not about to force it into my new D7000. I was pretty surprised by the bait-and-switch by Overstock.com, but I guess that explains the low price. Caveat emptor...

Bob

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Tue 01-Feb-11 10:53 AM
#15. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Hamilton, US

I have not received mine yet. So I do not know if they did the same thing or not. I would hope not, but if they did the "bait and switch" it is going right back. And there customer service will hear about it. I checked again on my order and it says Nikon MC-DC2. However, I just read one of the 4 reviews and he complains about it being a cheap knock-off from China. The other 3 gave it 5 stars and did not indicate whether it was a knock-off. I knew it sounded too good to be true. Sorry about the bad lead...

Mark4ENikon

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 12:48 PM
#16. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Venice, US

I'm still waiting for my MC-DC2 for Nikon. I paid $26.95 at Amazon.com and hope it comes today by USPS. I'll let you know.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 01-Feb-11 01:10 PM
1895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>I have not received mine yet. So I do not know if they did
>the same thing or not.
>However, I just read one of
>the 4 reviews and he complains about it being a cheap
>knock-off from China.

Out of curiosity I went to overstock to check it out. It is not exactly a bait and switch but it is misleading.

The description says Nikon MC-DC2 but if you look at the image supplied and compare it to the image at Nikon's web site it clearly seems to be a knock-off. The real one has Nikon printed right over the button and MC-DC2 under it while the Overstock image doesn’t. Not to mention the shapes are not the same.

It’s a shame they are allowed to get away with this.

Pete

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Tue 01-Feb-11 04:45 PM
#18. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

Hamilton, US

You are right. The pictures tell the difference. No other descriptor other than the title Nikon MC-DC2. I needed another battery so I purchased it and the MC-DC2 from Adorama. The MC-DC2 was $26.95. With the battery, I got free shipping. However, I need it for a shoot coming up next week so I went with 3 day shipping. The Overstock one is going back after I receive it.

Mark4ENikon

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Tue 01-Feb-11 07:40 PM
#19. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Hamilton, US

I got mine from Overstock today. It was the cheap knock-off. I went thru their internet return system and they were going to charge $6.46 to send it back. So I called customer service and discussed the misrepresentation of the item in their online catalog. The only way to tell was via the pictures. They returned $7.49 to my paypal account immediately and did not want the item back. So, you might give it a try. They were going to give me store credit, but I told them I wanted reimbursement.

Mark4ENikon

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Tue 01-Feb-11 10:36 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 01-Feb-11 10:38 PM by po6ept

Peoria, US

I give Overstock.com a bit of credit for finally handling this correctly. I was unhappy with the response from the first agent, so I completed their survey with a scathing review. A second agent provided a refund as well as an assurance that they will correct the listing. She told me that their supplier provided the item description, which is plausible. After filing down a burr on the connector, it now fits and works. The cable remote is just what I needed for bracketing when using my 80-400 on a tripod.

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Wed 02-Feb-11 04:09 PM
#21. "RE: HDR settings for my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Venice, US

I got my official NIKON MC-DC2 from Amazon for 26.95 with free shipping. It works for "U" settings on My Nikon D7000. I tried it this morning for my new work in HDR.

Thank you for all of the info and experiences good and bad.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5232 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.