Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5188
View in linear mode

Subject: "Setup for sledding shots?" Previous topic | Next topic
nascar Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Mon 24-Jan-11 09:50 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Setup for sledding shots?"

US

Hi, I just purchased a D7000 with the Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm with VRII. I'm trying to assimilate the options this camera offers. As new user, I'm pleased to join the forum and this is my first post and question.

I want to take some shots of my young grandkids sledding on the small hill (100' run) in our backyard on their next visit. I want to capture their expressions at several points on the run and I'd like to have the camera settings figured out beforehand. I think I should shoot in Continuous-Low mode with Shutter Priority and 9-point, AF-C mode. Is that reasonable or is there a better setup? Can the focal length be changed during continuous mode?

Thanks,
Alan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Setup for sledding shots?
sabbey51 Silver Member
25th Jan 2011
nascar Silver Member
25th Jan 2011
Zevi Silver Member
25th Jan 2011
nascar Silver Member
25th Jan 2011
sabbey51 Silver Member
26th Jan 2011

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 25-Jan-11 02:07 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Setup for sledding shots?"
In response to Reply # 0

Saddle river, US

That's a reasonable start.

If you're choosing Shutter priority because you want to keep the shutter speed high, remember that that's unlikely to be a problem in bright sunshine. Alternatively, you could use Aperture priority to force a desired depth of field and increase (or decrease) the portion of the image in focus.

You should take some test shots first; depending on the light, you'll probably need to use Exposure Compensation to reduce the metered exposure when shooting in bright sun on the snow. The brilliant reflections from the snow will fool the autoexposure. Try -1 or -2; see what works. "What works" is up to you, but you can look at the image on the LCD, look at the color histogram, etc. A nice feature of the D7000 is that if you zoom the image on the LCD, the histogram will show you the distribution for the visible area of the image. So you can ignore all the overexposed snow if you like.

In CL mode, you can set the number of frames per second in the Menu system. The range is 1-5. I'd start at 3 and adjust to taste.

Yes, you can absolutely zoom while they are sliding down the hill towards you to keep them properly framed.

nascar Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Tue 25-Jan-11 08:44 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Setup for sledding shots?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

I need to experiment with CL. I'm currently defaulting to save 14-bit lossless NEF + Normal JPEG on two SanDisk 20MB/sec cards. I don't know at what frame rate the card can keep up. The NEF files seem to be around 19-20MB each.

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Tue 25-Jan-11 08:58 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Setup for sledding shots?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 25-Jan-11 09:07 PM by Zevi

Ann Arbor, US

>The brilliant reflections from the snow will fool the
>autoexposure. Try -1 or -2;

You probably meant +1 to +2 (need to overexpose in snow).

Another thought for you to consider trying is pan practicing: instead of standing at the bottom of the run and snap shots as the kids approach you, you may want to stand somewhere in the middle, and take a few continuous shots with a panning motion as they slide by. If you succeed, these can come out real nice with the happy kids, maybe faces caked with snow -- all in sharp focus against a smeared/streaked background. It will look like they go way faster than reality, and they will love you for that!

Cheers,
Zevi

nascar Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Tue 25-Jan-11 09:44 PM
#4. "RE: Setup for sledding shots?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Good idea about pan shots -- sort of like shooting car races.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Wed 26-Jan-11 01:11 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Setup for sledding shots?"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

>The brilliant reflections from the snow will fool the
>autoexposure. Try -1 or -2;

You probably meant +1 to +2 (need to overexpose in snow).
------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, of course. Thanks, Zevi, for the correction.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.