Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5172
View in linear mode

Subject: "Never used Aperture Priority before" Previous topic | Next topic
wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 06:51 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Never used Aperture Priority before"

Port Washington/New York, US

Although I have had other cameras before the D7000 I've always used automatic settings to take my photos, with mixed results. I've just today begun to practice pictures using Aperture mode. Here are test shots using the totally program mode vs aperture priority mode using my D7000 on a tripod with the 20-700VR2 lens at 85mm.

automatic (f2.8):

f10

The results are dramatically different with the f10 being the better photo.

I'm going to keep on experimenting. I've ordered the "Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson" to help me out. No wonder I've always had so many fewer keepers that always seemed out of focus to me when I was not using my camera properly before.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Never used Aperture Priority before
JosephK Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
wkramer
24th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
ewlarson Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
linksix
25th Jan 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 07:09 PM
4102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Never used Aperture Priority before"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 24-Jan-11 07:10 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The second shot at f/10 is not necessarily better, just different with a larger depth of field.

In the first shot at f/2.8 you have a shallow depth of field centered on the white fish in the back of the collection. This renders the front of the collection out of focus as well as the blinds out of focus. Shifting the focus to the red ball in the center of the group would more evenly spread out the shallow in-focus range.

In the f/10 shot, your larger depth of field covers both the white and green fish but also the window blinds, which might not have been your intention.

There is no right and wrong in this except for measuring the results against your artistic intentions. Try taking the shot at f/4 with the focus on the red ball in the middle.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 07:20 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Never used Aperture Priority before"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Washington/New York, US

I know how to place the focus square on the object I want to concentrate focus on in Live view. How using the 39 points in the main viewfinder do I get the focus on the object I want to concentrate on? It seems to pick a point at random.

Thanks,

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 24-Jan-11 08:02 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Never used Aperture Priority before"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I've never shot with anything BUT Aperture Priority. Why? Because I can control the "depth" of focus, I can deliberately stay inside the lens' sweet spot (typically 1.5-2 stops down from wide open), AND by paying attention, I can still get the minimum shutter speed I need to prevent blur or stop action...

Let's say at f/5.6 my lens is sharpest, and that f/5.6 gives me the depth of field (focus) I want... well, under a wide-range of conditions, anything from 1/60th to 1/2000th shutter speed may be fine, without any particular speed being crucial.

So, even when shooting action, my bias is to set Aperture first, because most times, if I can help it, I'd rather not have the camera choose a wide-open lens setting...

Also, keep in mind that when you get smaller than f/9 or so, diffraction sets in and the lens you're using will not be achieving the best resolution possible (which is why we don't just set the lens at f/16 and forget it).

These are all done in Aperture Priority:
http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p1023146496/h1b08d0ed
http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p1044892921/h25e97848
http://billkeane.zenfolio.com/p687018592/h38884644

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

ewlarson Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 08:48 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Never used Aperture Priority before"
In response to Reply # 2

US

If you take it out of 3D focusing, once you touch the shutter release to focus, you can use the multi-selector on the back of hte camera to select the focus point in the viewfinder. I've not had an SLR for a long time, so I've been learning quite a bit recently. For instance shooting soccer games, I've gone to 9 points vs. 39 points as the camera was locking on to background elements sometimes. With the smaller autofocus matrix, I have fewer problems, especially when my disciplice breaks down.

linksix Registered since 12th Jan 2011Tue 25-Jan-11 12:03 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Never used Aperture Priority before"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 25-Jan-11 08:42 AM by briantilley

GB

Remember, you're shooting digital, so if you are not sure take the Fisher Price option and have a play about with it, as it costs you nothing to see the images (try having a go on film and shooting transparency, you quickly learn what a mistake in exposure makes).

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5172 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.