Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Folder Rollover?" Previous topic | Next topic
rchrd Registered since 06th May 2007Mon 24-Jan-11 07:06 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Folder Rollover?"

Oakland, US

I was surprised today when I noticed that after shooting the 55th image in folder 101, the next image went into folder 102 in the camera. I thought folders didn't rollover until image 999 in a folder.

What caused this? The last image in folder 101 (55/55) and the first image in folder 102 (1/1) have file names that are in proper numerical sequence, as expected. And both folder 101 and 102 are on the same card <1>.

But why did it rollover to a new folder?

Any hints?

-------------------------------------------------
| Richard Friedman : Oakland, California
| http://rchrd.com/photo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Folder Rollover?
jadiniz
24th Jan 2011
agitater Gold Member
24th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
24th Jan 2011
jadiniz
24th Jan 2011
rchrd
25th Jan 2011
bobpilot Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
Martn Bjerg
15th Mar 2011

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 01:12 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

Stangely the same thing happens to me every once in a while, often with even fewer images on the first folder. A behaviour I've yet to understand.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 24-Jan-11 01:34 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

More info please.

Di you do a lens change?

Was the card originally formatted in the camera?

Is it the card from slot 1 or slot 2?

How is slot 2 formatted? Consecutive storage/overflow from slot 1? Backup storage? NEF only?

Was the slot 1 card removed for photo copying/transfer and then put back in the camera? Was the camera turned off when you did so?

If you remove the SD card from slot 1 (e.g., to view or copy photos using a card reader) or from slot 2 (e.g., because it's configured for backup and almost full - to copy the photos and reformat the thing), the logic in the camera may create a new sequential storage folder.

If none of the above took place, the logic may have been triggered by a lens change. I'm guessing - I haven't tested the D7000 to see if lens changes trigger the creation of a new image storage folder on an installed SD card.

If an SD card has not been formatted by the camera in which it's being used, it's possible for some storage areas to be unrecognizable by the camera. In that case, there may be logic in the camera which then automatically creates a new storage folder at the next available, recognizably formatted storage area in the SD card.

If the camera is not turned off when an SD card is removed, and if the SD card is then reinstalled while the camera is still on, the logic in the camera may create a new storage folder automatically in order to ensure that new images are correctly numbered. In these situations, the D7000 logic may assume the possibility that something in the existing folder may have changed, so creation of a new folder makes sense.

Could be a harmless bug too.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 24-Jan-11 02:30 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I was surprised today when I noticed that after shooting the
>55th image in folder 101, the next image went into folder 102
>in the camera. I thought folders didn't rollover until image
>999 in a folder.
>
>What caused this? The last image in folder 101 (55/55) and the
>first image in folder 102 (1/1) have file names that are in
>proper numerical sequence, as expected. And both folder 101
>and 102 are on the same card <1>.
>
>But why did it rollover to a new folder?
>
>Any hints?

Yes, under the original firmware, the D7000 used to create new folders for no apparent reason. Ken Rockwell talks about this...

After I updated my firmware, this tendency stopped altogether. If you have the latest firmware installed, and it's still doing this, then I have no idea.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 03:12 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 3

Estoril, PT

Firmawre updated, no lens change, no removal of card, card formatted in camera (whenever I remove it, it's always with camera off, and I always format immediately after inserting).

No guess whatsoever.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

rchrd Registered since 06th May 2007Tue 25-Jan-11 01:33 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 4

Oakland, US

Almost the same situation here. Firmware updated.
I did change the lens, but the pictures before and after the rollover are with the same lens. It was just like the next picture I took started a new folder.

The only difference between the last picture in folder 101 and the first picture in folder 102 is that I switched to User Preset 1 (U1) on the selector dial. I have that set to basically program mode Black & White.

I'll see if there's any strange settings I wasn't aware of. But all I can suspect is that switching from P to U1 did it.

BUT, I just now shot one image in P mode, another in U1, and another back in P mode and all three went into folder 102 .. it didn't create a new folder.

So, it's a puzzlement.

-------------------------------------------------
| Richard Friedman : Oakland, California
| http://rchrd.com/photo

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Mon 14-Mar-11 01:56 AM
3226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 5

Washington, US

When I look at the image on the back of the camera, they are now labeled 101-1 and so on. My other D300 has only the file number, if i recall. What is the factory setting and how do i get it back to that?

Robert
<www.lenstrek.com>

My Nikonians Gallery

Martn Bjerg Registered since 15th Mar 2011Tue 15-Mar-11 08:49 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Folder Rollover?"
In response to Reply # 0

DK

I’m having the same problem. And it has something to do with turning the mode-wheel from U-modes to eg A, S, P or M-modes. It happens most often if the turn is done with the camera turned off (what frequently happens when by accident hitting the mode-wheel in the field) but also occasionally when turning I with camera turned on.

Currently I've been using the camera for about a month and has used 17 of the 899 folders. At this rate it´ll run out in four years. But I take ten times as many pictures in the summertime, so …

Nikon Denmark claims they never heard about the problem.

Hopefully my folder-count will survive until next winter when Nikon can have it.

Anybody with any insider-news?

Greetings Martin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5144 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.