Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #513
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Card speed question" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 29-Sep-10 04:33 AM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Card speed question"
Wed 29-Sep-10 04:34 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

I just bought my first SD cards (in prep for D7000) and am left with questions. The better card I bought was a Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 200X 16Gb, I got a heckuva deal.

But it is labelled as only 30Mbps. I know the Compact Flash version of the same card is 60Mbps. I am a little disappointed in this because I know from experience my CF Extreme IVs at 45Mbps are noticeably faster in clearing my D300 buffer after a long heavy burst than the Extreme III 30Mbps that I own. Did I inadvertently buy an 'old or clearance model' Sandisk Extreme or is that it for now for SD card speed (aside from an Extreme Pro)?

I'm guessing this is an inherent limitation of SD as compared to CF. I would appreciate any guidance, haven't opened the box yet.

I also bought a class 6 16GB Platinum II 100X 15Mbps, my first Lexar, for video. I figure that should be good enough speed for video.

Thanks again folks,

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Card speed question
enesunkie Silver Member
29th Sep 2010
enesunkie Silver Member
29th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
30th Sep 2010
pdekman Gold Member
30th Sep 2010
wingdo
30th Sep 2010
wingdo
29th Sep 2010
jbloom Gold Member
29th Sep 2010
ericbowles Moderator
11th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
11th Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
12th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
12th Oct 2010

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008Wed 29-Sep-10 08:19 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo, US

I believe you have one of the fastest SD cards out there now unfortunately. You are right, the CF cards are faster. That is why they are preferred by professionals and used in the "pro" bodies. Not many people have had the opportunity to test the D7000 yet, but I would doubt that this card would limit the capabilities of the camera. I believe you may see a slight improvement in speed though when transferring files to your computer over the class 6 cards. I have a bunch of the Sandisk Extreme III’s. I haven’t had any problems with them and the brand is generally recommended here. I did just recently see an article on new technologies in SD cards with speeds comparable to the current batch of CF cards, but by then, the CF technology will have its own improvements!

Kurt

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008Wed 29-Sep-10 09:22 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 1

Buffalo, US

“I got a heckuva deal”
I did forget to mention that you have to be careful of counterfeit memory cards. It’s easy to purchase a “cheap” 4GB card, peel off the label, and stick on a forged 30mb/s label, auction it off and make a nice profit. This problem is not limited to Sandisk .

Be sure your buying from a reputable seller. Be especially careful on eBay . If it sounds too good…

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254879

Kurt

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 30-Sep-10 01:33 AM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Thanks for the tip Kurt. I should be OK, bought it from my local reputable retailer.

Jon, I really appreciate the info, was not aware of the UHS-1 standard nor that the D7000 was compliant with it . That sounds more suitable for me, I can be a bit of a masher when I get on a good bird at close distance. 60Mbps ought to empty that buffer at a decent clip. I'll go with what I've got for now and pick one up this winter when they hit the market. 32Gig card would be nice too but may have to wait for prices to come down for that.

Next up on my get ready for the D7000 plan is an external microphone. When I looked a long time ago I thought they were cheaper!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 30-Sep-10 02:00 AM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 30-Sep-10 02:04 AM by pdekman

Swisher, US

I don't know if UHS-1 speeds are exclusive to the SDXC format, but these cards appear to start at 64GB so they will be large. I did a quick search and found that Kingston is selling one now - a 64GB version - for $350 USD. I think I'll shop for a couple of Extreme III 16GB/30MBps instead.

Have you found any info on EN-EL15 batteries or Arca-style L-Bracket availability yet?

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Thu 30-Sep-10 10:49 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

This blurb is showing Toshiba's UHS-1 cards coming out in 8, 16 and 32 GB sizes with 95MB/s read and 80MB/s write. http://dailyator.com/toshiba-crashes-panasonics-sd-uhs-i-party-with-faster-cards-new-standard-still-confusing/52771/

I **swear** when I replied yesterday I could not find this card anywhere and it is the card I was thinking of.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Wed 29-Sep-10 03:31 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Much of this will depend on what specs the D7000's SD card slot supports. There are MUCH faster SD cards in the works (SDXC and UHS-1)which could top 100MB/s.

I have several of the Sandisk 30MB/s cards and I would think if you need high speed write abilities (like mashing down RAW at 6fps for a while) having both banks filled with those cards should suffice as long as you have the banks set to split the files.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 29-Sep-10 07:06 PM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Supposedly, Panasonic will have the first UHS-I cards on the shelves in November, and they should offer 60 MB/s performance. Toshiba has announced even faster cards for about the same time frame.

The D7000 is UHS-I compatible, so once the cards are available you should be able to take advantage of them.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Oct-10 01:12 PM
8512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I know it is probably too late, but for others considering SD or CF cards remember that the best prices of the year are typically around the holiday season.

From a technical standpoint, CF cards contain a microprocessor so they are designed for faster potential write speeds than SD cards. The design that permits faster speeds is relatively new, so you can expect dramatic increases in write speeds that future cameras will incorporate. This design supports not only cameras, but specialized applications that use extreme speeds. We had a thread on some of the specifics and links to the CF manufacturers association in the Cafe a couple of years ago.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 11-Oct-10 03:00 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

Actually, the gate array inside the CF card is used for "wear leveling", moving data to less written to sites to even out write cycles totals over time. Since the cell is write limited in life, a concentration in writes to the same cells would shorten the life a great deal for the entire card. Wear Leveling and EC&C slow down data I/O, instead of improve throughput.
The CF standard is not getting the development attention that more mass appeal cards like SD due to the gigantic volume potential of the smaller cards. Quite likely the CF cards will be phased out in the not too distant future because it is large and has a small target audience.
Most limited distribution items become obsolete due to consumables not being available eventually. When you can't buy recording tape, your $85,000 Studer, built-for-ever, multi-track tape deck is simply a large door stop, for example. The same will occur to 15 year old top pro digital cameras.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Tue 12-Oct-10 07:09 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

Is there any specific reason to go with the Sandisk Extreme line? What I mean here is: They are Class 6 SD cards, why not go with other, less expensive Class 6 cards?

Case in point, Newegg has the 8gb Sandisk Extreme III for $44.99, while the Class 6 8gb Kingston is $16.79. Is there a reason to spend the extra $28.20?

For that matter, we can buy a 16gb Class 6 card for $28.99...still significantly less than the Sandisk.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 12-Oct-10 10:50 AM
8512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SD Card speed question"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

The Extreme cards are Class 10. The Extreme III are different - I believe they are class 6 since they were released in 2005. There is also an Extreme IV that is the successor to the Extreme III and I believe it is also Class 6. The Ultra cards replaced the Extreme IV.

The Sandisk site says the Extreme (Class 10) and Ultra SD cards are compatible with the D7000. It does not mention other cards. The manual for the D7000 will likely have some specifications for approved cards.

With other manufacturers you will see reference to both maximum and minimum speeds. The 30mb/second is a minimum speed for both read and write - it equates to a 200x rating which is the maximum speed - typically for reading which is faster than writing.

The big difference in these cards is read and write speed. I've used a large card with slow write speed in the past and it can really slow down burst shooting and downloads. I would be concerned about shooting HD video with a slower card.

I don't see any reason to only go with Sandisk, but I would go with a known brand. You so need to watch the speed on various cards as there are a lot of discontinued products on the market. I did some research yesterday and was able to find Class 4, Class 6, and Class 10 cards all available as new.

I just purchased 2 16gb Sandisk Extreme cards for the D7000 I ordered. They are about $90 each. There is a rebate available from Sandisk, but limited to authorized dealers. Other dealers like Amazon fulfilled seem to be discounting the rebate from the price.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #513 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.