Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5096
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with Built in Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 23-Jan-11 03:35 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with Built in Flash"

US

The built in flash on my D7000 appears to have stopped working. Assuming that I have screwed something up I have already tried the following:

Reset the shooting and custom settings menus.

Tried Auto, Progam, and Aperature modes pushing the button to raise the built in flash as necessary.

Set the flash to manual full power (did not work).

Removed the battery and replaced after 5 minutes.

Tried my SB600 on the hot shoe (it worked)

Tried the SB900 on the hot shoe (it worked)

Tried the built in in commander mode with built in off and both remotes manual full power (did not work)

Tried the 600 on the hot shoe as the commander with the master turned off and remote at full power (did not work)

Tried the 900 on the hot shoe as the commander with the master turned off and remote at full power (did not work)

Tried the sb900 in master mode and the remote did work.

So it appears my built in is not working (it was last week), and my camera won't function as commander with a SB600 in the hot shoe (which it should but had not previously tested. It was working fine with the built in working as commander last week.

I sent a question in to Nikon and am waiting for an answer.

Any one have any helpful suggestions of something I forgot to try?

Steve
ReadnFool

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem with Built in Flash
jadiniz
23rd Jan 2011
ReadnFool
23rd Jan 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Jan 2011
ReadnFool
23rd Jan 2011
Dhale
23rd Jan 2011
ReadnFool
25th Jan 2011
ReadnFool
13th Feb 2011

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sun 23-Jan-11 08:34 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the SB-600 has no commander mode. To work commander from the d7000 you have to use the pop-up though menu activation (and getting it raised), or an SB-700/800/900.

It does however seem like your pop-up bit the dust, sorry to say.

If that is the case, it will not work as an illuminator flash neither as a commander.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm only starting to get my head around flash photography (real newbie), with a D7000 and an SB-700.

The simpler test you can do is switch the camera to all-auto mode, close yourself on a dark room and trigger the shutter. The pop up should rise and fire, if not it's proven faulty.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 23-Jan-11 05:56 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yeah that's what it is looking like. I was just hoping somebody would tell me that I was an idiot and all I needed to do was XXXXX.

When I tried the SB600 I was using the commander setting in the camera. I believe if your camera has commander mode it will work with built in or any hot shoe flash as long as the camera is set to commander mode. I may be wrong on that though.

It will be covered under warranty, so it is just a hassle.

Steve
ReadnFool

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 23-Jan-11 06:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

The camera controls for the commander mode only work with the built-in flash. Any external flash being used as a commander must have that feature in the Speedlight. For Nikon that is currently the SB-900/800/700.

Also be sure all communication channels are set to the same value.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 23-Jan-11 09:27 PM
#4. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks.

I doubled checked the channels after resetting the custom settings menu so I know those were right.

I thought I had read somewhere that the camera based commander would work with a hot shoe mounted flash, but it makes sense if it doesn't than the only problem appears to be a dead built in flash. Makes me feel a little better.

Still waiting for a response from Nikon. I will update once I learn more.

Steve
ReadnFool

Dhale Registered since 11th Jan 2011Sun 23-Jan-11 10:04 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Owensboro, US

I have a friend who had the same problem. She took hers back to BestBuy to have it repaired.

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Tue 25-Jan-11 02:16 AM
#6. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Ok, got my response from online question I sent in to Nikon.

Basically they said I did everything they would have told me to do and I need to send it in for repair. Gave me the link to print the shipping label, etc.

Kind of crappy to have to do this after owning the camera less than a month, but crud happens. At least it is still under warranty.

Be interesting to see if mine was a fluke or if more people start having a similar problem.

Steve
ReadnFool

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 13-Feb-11 01:10 AM
#7. "RE: Problem with Built in Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Got the camera back after warranty service to replace the built in flash.

Two week total time including shipping.

Flash now works and they upgraded the firmware as well.

Steve
ReadnFool

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5096 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.