Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery question" Previous topic | Next topic
newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009Tue 18-Jan-11 11:36 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery question"

US

I recently picked up an MB-D11 and 2 additional batteries for my D7000. I also bought an off-brand charger (Adorama's Premium Tech Digital Charger) for the EN-EL15's. When I first got the 2 new batteries and the charger, I charged one of the batteries in the Nikon charger and the other in the off-brand. They each took a few hours to fully charge. I placed one battery in the body and the other in the grip. When I went to the menu and checked on the battery status, it showed the body battery as 100% with a Life of 1 (new); however, the grip battery showed up as 100% charged with a life of 4 (in the RED!). I switched the batteries around thinking I had a bad contact, but the 4 followed the battery.

OK.. I figured I got a bad battery from Adorama and they were very professional about it and replaced it without issue. The new battery arrived today so I threw it on the Premium Tech charger. After about the usual 2-3 hours, it showed up as charged. Popped it into the grip & BINGO - another 100% with an age of 4! Switched the battery positions and no change.

I find it extremely unlikely that I got 2 bad batteries in a row, so I checked out the Premium Tech charger. A big difference I see between it and the Nikon charger is that the Nikon charger has a full set of contacts (5) whereas the Premium Tech has only a + and -.

I know the new batteries are smart, but do they also need to be charged on a smart charger? Does the charger do some type of reset? Any idea if the new battery can be saved so it goes back to NEW (1)? Any suggestions on how to do that? Should I dump the charger?

rich..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery question
billD80 Silver Member
18th Jan 2011
newton124
18th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
sabbey51 Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
newton124
19th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: Battery question - FollowUp
newton124
08th Feb 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 18-Jan-11 11:47 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Should I
>dump the charger?
>

The easy answer is, yes. Get the Nikon charger. Or consider using only the charger that came with the original battery. Why? While I don't know your shooting habits, I can say that the Nikon EN-EL15's last a LONG time (2-3,000 shots). You may find that with the spare battery on top of the two in camera/grip, one charger will be quite adequate.

But YMMV.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009Tue 18-Jan-11 11:56 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The reason for the off brand is that it's more like my P7000 charger - plus right into the wall. No cord. Easier to pack along. If it turns out to be the culprit, I'll dump it and get another Nikon charger.

Any idea if the battery can be revived to show up as NEW?

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 19-Jan-11 12:13 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>The reason for the off brand is that it's more like my P7000
>charger - plus right into the wall. No cord. Easier to pack
>along. If it turns out to be the culprit, I'll dump it and
>get another Nikon charger.
>
>
>Any idea if the battery can be revived to show up as NEW?

Don't know. Perhaps, put it in the Nikon charger and see if it's "reset".

BTW, the Nikon charger also plugs directly into the wall (or you can use a cord).

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Wed 19-Jan-11 12:49 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 2

Saddle river, US

>The reason for the off brand is that it's more like my P7000
>charger - plus right into the wall. No cord. Easier to pack
>along. If it turns out to be the culprit, I'll dump it and
>get another Nikon charger.
>
>
>Any idea if the battery can be revived to show up as NEW?

The charger that came with the D7000 has both the traditional long cord and a stub with only a plug - you can choose whichever you want. I didn't even notice this until I saw a posting about it and went looking in the D7K box.

But I agree with the earlier post - you'd have to be taking thousands of pics a day to need two chargers. And recharging each battery is only a few hours.

newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009Wed 19-Jan-11 12:56 PM
#5. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

FIXED!..

I ran the battery down to about 20% and popped it into the Nikon charger. At about 50% of the charge, I put it into the body but it still showed an end-of-life battery. So I continued the charge to 100% and now it's back to a NEW state.

My guess is that there are smarts working between the charger and battery that reset the battery to the proper status.

Lesson - stay away from off-brand chargers..

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 19-Jan-11 04:59 PM
#6. "RE: Battery question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Lesson - stay away from off-brand chargers..

This is valuable to know, and I think you should let Adorama know. They're a top-shelf organization, and they'd want the info.

newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009Tue 08-Feb-11 07:07 PM
#7. "RE: Battery question - FollowUp"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Feb-11 09:14 PM by briantilley

US

A followup to my original post.

Read before purchasing this charger - http://www.adorama.com/IBYPT64.html?kbid=64628

I placed a battery in this charger that had an AGE of 1 according to the Battery Info option in the menu. After charging it it showed up with an AGE of 4 (again). My guess is that because it has only 2 contacts (+ and -) it does not perform the proper reset on the battery so Battery Info is out of whack. I plan to run it down (as I did before) and recharge it in the Nikon charger and hope it comes back to a "1"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4914 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.