Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4837
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7000 - Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 12:57 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D7000 - Questions"

Savannah, US

Just received mine and I have a couple of irritations/questions. Is anyone else having trouble adjusting the diopter to suit their vision? My previous Nikon DSLRs were able to adjust to my vision just fine, but the D7000 won't adjust enough to give me clear focusing. I have to wear my reading glasses to have perfect focus on the viewfinder screen. I guess I'll have to purchase a diopter glass for the viewfinder, which means no rubber eyecup, and nobody else will be able to use the camera without removing the external dipoter.

Second question. I was excited about being able to use my AIS lenses, but Nikon hasn't made it easy. Apparently you have to program either the depth of field button or the function button to select the manual lens(es), thus losing the original function of the button. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D7000 - Questions
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Jan 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
17th Jan 2011
aolander Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
17th Jan 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 17-Jan-11 01:44 PM
2924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

To your 2nd question just choose which mf lens to use from the setup menu where you defined the focal length and aperture. You don't need to re-define your function buttons.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 04:22 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Savannah, US

Thanks Len. I was playing around and made that discovery. Also, the camera senses the max aperture, and the lens I have on it. So, that's good. This whole thing just wasn't clear from reading the manual. Now if there were a better answer to the diopter question I'd be pretty happy.

Rich

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 17-Jan-11 04:44 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Now if there were a better answer to
>the diopter question I'd be pretty happy.
>
>Rich

This is a challenge because in comparison to the D300s/D90 Diopter adjustment range of -2 to +1, the D7000 is wider at -3 to +1.

If you were able to adjust previous Nikon bodies, the D7000 shouldn't present an issue. Maybe in shipment something got seriously jostled?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 07:08 PM
#6. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 18-Jan-11 06:13 PM by Captain Rich

Savannah, US

Hmmm...something to think about. Thanks for the clarification, Bill. I think I'll try to find another D7000 to see if it is the same. I know my old D50 and D200 didn't exhibit the problem (my vision has changed slightly through the years, but I don't remember the D200 having this problem). My wife's little D40X viewfinder is sharp as a tack, so I don't think it's all me.

Rich

Edit: Wow! The amazing self-healing Nikon D7000! I was messing with the diopter this morning, and lo and behold, it now turns far enough to provide the correction I was previously missing (complaining about). I have NO idea what caused this, other than maybe it loosened up a little with my fiddling. The other possibility is that I had the rubber eyecup off this time, and the diopter control may have turned far enough without that in place. So now, I'm a happy camper. I guess I'll have to go back to complaining about my own lack of ability!

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 04:35 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The camera doesn't sense which non-CPU lens you have on it. You have to select from your list of entered non-CPU lenses each time you use a different one.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 04:36 PM
#4. "RE: New D7000 - Questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Savannah, US

Yup. Spoke too soon. The first MF lens I mounted just happened to be the one currently selected in the menu. Doh! But I have that straight now. Thanks guys.

Rich

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4837 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.