Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4805
View in linear mode

Subject: "Replacement cover for the LCD screen" Previous topic | Next topic
NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 09:53 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Replacement cover for the LCD screen"

Cortlandt Manor, US

The plastic LCD protector on my D7000 did not last very long without getting scuffed. It's pretty soft. I found a nice and inexpensive replace on the internet called "GGS III generation Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector for Nikon D90". Although it was designed for the D90, it fits the D7000 just fine. This glass protector provides a clearer view of the LCD than the plastic protector that ships with the D7000, BUT it's not an exact duplicate. The difference is the factory plastic protector has a slight cut-out for the circular "multiselector" ring on back of the body (on the right side near the top, with the OK button in the center). The lack of the cut-out makes it marginally harder to press the "go left" side of the circular multiselector. This is not a deal breaker for me. Just a minor inconvenience. On balance, the glass cover is a nice and inexpensive upgrade for the D7000.

What I found ironic is that the add-on battery grip for the D7000 (Nikon part number MB-D11) has duplicate controls that allow the D7000 to be used when oriented in portrait mode. This includes the multiselector. But instead of the same design that the D7000 body uses, the MB-D11 provides a joystick instead of the circular rocker switch. This just left me scratching my head. Why make the photographer learn two different controls for the same control operation? Well, I think this replacement glass cover gave me the answer. The joystick control require less open surround space. The MB-D11's curvature makes surround space very limited. I'll bet the Nikon engineers opted for the joystick to fit into the available space on the MB-D11, and force the photographer to adapt to the different control (that's used to select the main AF point and menu selections). Again, not a deal breaker, but I'd have preferred the same control on both the camera and the grip. Why not use the joystick for both?

-- Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Jan 2011
theguru1
28th Jan 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
28th Jan 2011
NY Jim
28th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
30th Jan 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 21-Jan-11 07:20 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Jan-11 07:32 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

The MB-D10 for D300/300S/700 has same issue. Quite a different button design for the multi-selector on the grip. So this design difference has existed for almost 4-years now (not to mention however the pro-bodies are configured). I like the multi-selector on the D700 and D7000 camera bodies best myself. My MB-D10 joystick is a little tricky in use.

I agree on the third-party screen protectors - I use $12 Korean ones (mine are made by Marumi) and they are far clearer than the Nikon-supplied one.

I haven't affixed my D7000 one yet because I discovered that one of the video-shooting magnifying LCD-Loupes I am looking at buying mounts on "rails" affixed in much the same position as the third-party screen protectors.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

theguru1 Registered since 28th Jan 2011Fri 28-Jan-11 06:33 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 28-Jan-11 06:33 AM by theguru1

AU

I believe GGS have a version for the D7000.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 28-Jan-11 11:16 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 1

Lafayette, US

>The MB-D10 for D300/300S/700 has same issue...
>
>I haven't affixed my D7000 one yet because I discovered that
>one of the video-shooting magnifying LCD-Loupes I am looking
>at buying mounts on "rails" affixed in much the same
>position as the third-party screen protectors.
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
>'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see
>without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
>My
>Nikonians gallery>
>
My Nikonians Blog

Do I understand you correctly? You can buy LCD screen protectors that magnify the image?

I have to take my glasses off when I shoot, because the camera's eyepiece smashes them against my face. So, I have trouble seeing the image. To check it,I have to hit the + button a couple of times. This sounds like a nice solution for old and tired eyes.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Fri 28-Jan-11 12:34 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 3

Cortlandt Manor, US

Hi John -- I sympathize with the old tired eyes thing... my eyeball IQ is not what is used to be either. Sounds like Steve has found an attachment that targets video shooters and provides something like the eyepiece commonly found on video cameras. A quick Google search for "D90 LCD loupe" gets a number of hits. Here is an example:

http://www.prophotographygear.com/3x-lcd-viewfinder-loupes-for-nikon-d700-d300s-d300-d90-p-150.html

I'm afraid the covers I've found do not magnify. One way that I compensate for this is:
- Use the D7K's AF controls and the "focus achieved" spot in the viewfinder to get proper focus
- Learn your lenses so that you can predict the DOF you'll need
- Use the D7K's LCD to view the exposure histogram to see if the D7K's metering got it right. This is easier to see than the image sharpness.

The other practice I've adopted is to take several shots in hopes that one of them will get everything right.

-- Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 30-Jan-11 02:45 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Replacement cover for the LCD screen"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 30-Jan-11 02:45 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>
>Do I understand you correctly? You can buy LCD screen
>protectors that magnify the image?
>
>I have to take my glasses off when I shoot, because the
>camera's eyepiece smashes them against my face. So, I have
>trouble seeing the image. To check it,I have to hit the +
>button a couple of times. This sounds like a nice solution for
>old and tired eyes.
>

Hi John,

Have a look at the Genus Loupe described in this thread from the video forum. But there are at least 2 or 3 other loupes under discussion in this same thread.

I would ask in that thread about the magnifying capability. Not having used one myself yet I would also like to hear more.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=402&topic_id=402&mesg_id=402&page=

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4805 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.