Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4801
View in linear mode

Subject: "any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Janice_E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 09:10 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"

Jasper, US

I'm new to Nikonians so hope I'm posting this correctly. I've read about the firmware upgrade for my new D7000 and downloaded it to my computer. But Nikon's warning about being sure you know what you're doing before updating has me worried, as I've never updated the firmware on a camera before. I read all the posts in answer to the question about updating now or waiting, and no one seems to have had any problems with the update. Am I in danger of messing up my camera in trying the update? I live a long way from any camera shop so would hate to make my camera non-functional.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?
dm1dave Administrator
16th Jan 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
rtg
16th Jan 2011
Pep11
16th Jan 2011
rtg
16th Jan 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Jan 2011
Janice_E Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
                    Reply message RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000? video iss...
Janice_E Silver Member
21st Jan 2011
                         Reply message RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000? video iss...
rtg
23rd Jan 2011
JazzDoc Gold Member
24th Jan 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 09:31 PM
11305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians Janice!

The risk of having problems is very low.

The most important thing is to make sure that the battery is fully charged. Then read and reread the instructions Nikon provides and follow then step by step.

If anything there is anything in the instructions that you are not sure of or that you feel is not clear just come back here and ask for clarification.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 10:03 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hello Janice,

I, like you, was somewhat concerned but was able to make the upgrade with no problems and if I can do it I truly believe anybody can. Just follow the instructions making certain you download the "bin" file and if you do have a problem call Nikon for assistance (1-800-645-6687).

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 10:36 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 16-Jan-11 10:41 PM by rtg

US

The upgrade is as low risk as any consumer firmware upgrade can be.

There are really only 3 things you could do to screw up the firmware upgrade.

1 - Not have the battery fully charged. However, if the D7000 is like the S8100 it will not allow the upgrade to happen if the battery charge level is too low.

2 - DO NOT turn off the camera until upgrade is complete. This is the greatest potential of damage to the camera if the power is turned off in the middle of the new firmware being installed. If the camera is turned off in the middle it may not boot up properly when power is reapplied. Simply do not touch the power switch.

3 - DO NOT remove the SDcard while the firmware is being written. This is not likely to happen. Just don't mess with it.

The common mistake is not to put the D7000_0101.bin file in the root directory of the SDcard. Also it is the SDcard in slot 1, not slot 2. If you do put it in the wrong directory the camera will not show an upgrade option on the menu. It offers the upgrade when it sees the D7000_0101.bin in the root directory.

Follow the directions and it will work out just fine.

Hope this helps.

Rob

If you are into boating checkout: www.SilvertonForums.com

Pep11 Registered since 05th Jan 2011Sun 16-Jan-11 10:48 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

PR

Do you know what was improved/corrected with the upgrade in the software?
My D7000 will arrive next week and I would like to know.
Thanks.

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 10:51 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

From the Nikon website:

"Bright spots were sometimes noticeable with live view mode or movie recording of especially dark scenes or subjects. Occurrence of this issue has been reduced."

Rob

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 16-Jan-11 11:39 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

Nikon post the major upgrade features in their technical announcement about the upgrade.

I would first check the firmware version of the camera before doing anything.

D7000 firmware: A:1.01, B:1.01 is the link for the technical notice of the upgrade. The page has the Windows OS and Macintosh OS version links to the download file, download instructions, and installation instructions.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Janice_E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2010Mon 17-Jan-11 01:43 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Jasper, US

Many thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement and especially your fast responses. I just now successfully installed the upgrade with no problems. My camera is working fine.

Janice_E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 04:58 PM
#8. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000? video issue"
In response to Reply # 7

Jasper, US

Since I last posted to say my upgrade was successful, I've noticed something strange. Before I updated my firmware, I could easily import videos taken with my d7000 into Lightroom 3.3. Now I can't. They appear in the LR import window and say they're importing, but the screen saying it's importing just stays on and never finishes; I've left it on for hours just to see if I'm being too impatient. I can cancel out the import and then find the video in the right folder on my computer. View NX will see it and play it, but LR won't see it or play it. I know LR 3.3 was updated to handle RAW input from the d7000, but I'm wondering if the update isn't compatible with the video import feature in LR. Everything else imports just fine. Has anyone else had this experience?

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Sun 23-Jan-11 11:28 PM
#9. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000? video issue"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Can not say I have seen this. However, I am using the trial version. My expectation is that it is the same.

FWIW.

Rob

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Mon 24-Jan-11 04:46 PM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: any danger in firmware upgrade for d7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

As with others responding to you, my experience has been eventless, which is as it should be. Actually, the D7000 process is easier than with previous bodies, which always had two files to fiddle with. Instructions are clear, and the process rather quick. The key step of updating the camera's firmware, it does indeed take some time, so don't touch the camera until it is finished--go away, have some coffee, glass of wine, whatever--and return to find it all done....

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4801 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.