Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4773
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pop Photo's Review of D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Sun 16-Jan-11 03:14 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pop Photo's Review of D7000"

Pittsford, US

I just read it in the magazine, but here is the URL:

http://www.popphoto.com/camera-test/2011/01/lab-test-nikon-d7000

They don't seem impressed by default noise control above ISO 1600 or by the 24fps capture rate of 1080p video. They also don't seem to evaluate the features of the body very fully. Comments below the review may be more interesting than the review itself.

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Jan 2011
bradbort Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
JPJ Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
Sunway
16th Jan 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
18th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
18th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
18th Jan 2011
Ramesses
19th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Jan 2011
Special K
21st Jan 2011
21st Jan 2011
Floridian Silver Member
21st Jan 2011
21st Jan 2011
Ramesses
21st Jan 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 02:46 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Hi Robb,

Just curious are they implying there is an element of noise reduction going on that can't be turned off even for RAW shooters?

I'm not too worried about default settings, I can change them.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 04:10 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 16-Jan-11 04:12 PM by bradbort

somerville, US

Weird review. Its unclear how they evaluated noise reduction, since they don't state file type, whether 12 or 14 bit, or what software they used review (if NEF). They also leave out several features that they mentioned for the Canon...such as remote control of flash. Seemed like a really superficial review. Then there are strange comments about how it focuses to -1 well, but their sidebar says it has trouble with low light focusing. Very strange.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 04:56 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I wouldn't call this a review. A camera review to me is a comprehensive set of tests to determine real world performance. A review would contain a good explanation of the testing methodology, access to the test data and photos where possible.

This is an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

I would strongly disagree that the antiquated AF system on the Canon 60D outperforms the D7000, so would every head to head review I have seen on the two. As for the claim that the 60D has a one stop advantage on the D7000 re: noise, that is just ridiculously wrong. I doubt the 60D has a one stop advantage on a D70 let alone a D7000.

A cynical person might suspect that Canon has a very large advertising account at PopPhoto.

Personally I don't rely on magazine opinions for this reason.

Jason

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 20-Jan-11 07:52 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 20-Jan-11 07:52 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

>I wouldn't call this a review. A camera review to me is a
>comprehensive set of tests to determine real world
>performance. A review would contain a good explanation of the
>testing methodology, access to the test data and photos where
>possible.
>
>This is an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion,
>no matter how wrong it may be.
>
>I would strongly disagree that the antiquated AF system on the
>Canon 60D outperforms the D7000, so would every head to head
>review I have seen on the two.

Jason,
I agree with you.

The Pop Photo article states
In our autofocus speed test, while the D7000’s 39-point Multi-CAM 4800DX system was no slouch, it proved slightly slower than the Canon 60D across the board.
I wonder what across the board means.

Imaging resource did a photo test
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000A6.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DA6.HTM

The full Auto focus test with 39 points was significantly slower for Nikon than the Canon 60D
0.436 second for D7000 vs 0.159 second for 60D
(Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture.)
This is misleading as the D7000 has 39 points as opposed to 9 for 60D

For Full Autofocus Single Area(center) AF Nikon 0.238 second and Canon 0.253 second. This is more accurate test in my opinion.

Also for Continuous AF Nikon 0.054 second and Canon 0.251 second. although I'm not sure accurate comparison is here given release mode used for Nikon. This seems too much better for Nikon and likely is not apples to apples comparison.
This test was performed with Sigma 70mm 2.8 prime on both camera's, presumably in similar light.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Sunway Registered since 28th Jan 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 06:55 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

I have made a comment on another forum I think I can copy it although it had some history in context:

These reviews go from bad (those with some useful info still, however, twisted in the outcome) to hilarious ones just to stress that the time of theirs influence-ability of creditable assessments to a knowledgeable user has reduced to an extent of 50% to zero.
As for Canon 60D, we desperately needed to buy it for my wife (and her 70-200/4 IS lens). Instead she was forced to switch. Canon Cameras 7D, 550D or 60D don’t still surpass 450D in raw file IQ. Offer strange mix of rendering type of which unnaturalness stands out in landscape photography (may be less of an issue if one shots hockey) combined with the enemy no. one – low iso noise (thus also limited DR real usability). These cameras don’t stand a chance side by d90. D7000 sweeps them out of table.
Some reviews are reduced to cheap paper page. Interesting development I note.

PS I always am talking about raw.

I can add we have tested the 60D side by side even 450D. My another finds are 60D has a tad lower low iso noise than 7D (shadows, sky).

Hynek

www.sunwaysite.com

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 18-Jan-11 03:38 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

In this case it seems that Ken R.'s review is more objective and accurate. Go figure

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 18-Jan-11 04:38 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>In this case it seems that Ken R.'s review is more objective
>and accurate. Go figure

I generally like KR's reviews (though, until the 8-16mm, I think his take on Sigma was negatively biased).

What's interesting about the PopPhoto review of the D7000 (especially as the Canon D60 is referenced) is that it's SO much at variance with DxOMark's measurements and comparison: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/680%7C0/(appareil2)/663%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Canon

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 18-Jan-11 11:23 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

Wow that is a BIG difference over at DxO - 80 to 66 for the Nikon. In DxO terms that is a thumping! Also interesting to see that the D3100 gets 67 points.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 19-Jan-11 08:37 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Steve:

I would not put too much attention to every review about the D7000. I have no doubt that the D7K will become a classic and the DXO labs is more reliable. Thom Hogan “Highly Recommended” the camera.

I have decided to get it when it becomes available. I am extremely grateful to the Nikon 85G. Because of the lens, I crossed the proverbial bridge in justifying more money for photography . I gave my detailed reasons, in my blog.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 21-Jan-11 02:30 PM
#10. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Hektor, you are going to really enjoy the D7K - it is a great camera and I agree I like the size very much. Read your blog, interesting as usual. I bought my D7000 with pretty much a single purpose in mind, long lens telephoto use, but am finding it to be a very versatile camera and sensor and am dabbling with it for landscape, theatre, and especially video (which for me is a great deal of fun)!

The big surprise is the sensor's phenomenal dynamic range at base ISO which should make it a mini-D3X for many people's usage. For me I bought it specifically for higher ISO wildlife but I can't ignore it now for landscape.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Special K Registered since 09th Dec 2006Fri 21-Jan-11 04:14 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Laguna Woods, US

Hello Everyone,
This kind of evaluation comes from the ad sales department. If this is an evaluation the D7K why insert Canon comparison?? I don't think Canon could have written a better advertisment.

Whatever credibility Pop Photo ever had, it is gone and good ridance.

Special K

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 05:55 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 21-Jan-11 05:56 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

>Hello Everyone,
>This kind of evaluation comes from the ad sales department.
>If this is an evaluation the D7K why insert Canon comparison??
> I don't think Canon could have written a better advertisment.
>
>
>Whatever credibility Pop Photo ever had, it is gone and good
>ridance.
>
>Special K

I happen to subscribe to Pop photo. It was never one of my favorite mags and now my opinion has dropped even further.

Last night I shot an indoor concert with my 70-200 2.8. For kicks I shot my daughter when she was in the shadows and barely visible. I was 30 rows back. The camera and lens focused nearly instantly I could not believe I was able to get recognizable photo's of someone nearly in the dark, albeit at iso 25K.

I think many of these comparisons where the parameters are close are a mute point for many on this forum. After spending a few or many thousands of dollars on glass for your Nikon would you really switch to a Canon even if the autofocus was minimally faster or the iso performance was minimally better? For the newcomer maybe.

I have a friend who has a 60D who is quite happy with his camera and gets great shots. Better than me..? maybe but he has 30 years of experience on me. I think at this point in camera technology experience, knowledge and inspiration are orders of magnitude more important than .05 sec quicker autofocus or 1/3 stop of improved iso performance. In both of these instances I believe Nikon has one up on Canon at any rate.

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 21-Jan-11 05:57 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...If this is an evaluation the D7K why insert Canon comparison??...

I like to see this type of comparison in a magazine. I'm not saying they are correct in their conclusions, but they evaluate the D7000 and 60D in the same issue, so I'd like for them to say which they think is best, which they do.

Randy

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 06:59 PM
#14. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

New HArtford, US

>>...If this is an evaluation the D7K why insert Canon
>comparison??...
>
>I like to see this type of comparison in a magazine. I'm not
>saying they are correct in their conclusions, but they
>evaluate the D7000 and 60D in the same issue, so I'd like for
>them to say which they think is best, which they do.
>
>Randy

I agree. I have no problem with looking at both camera's in same issue. I think their conclusions are flawed and they are not in depth enough in their comparisons. I don't know if they have any agenda. Philip Ryan, the technical editor of Pop Photo could have done a better job.
Auto focus is faster when comparing single focus to single focus. How can you compare the speed of 39 point to 9 point auto focus and conclude the camera with 9 focus is faster?

JohnE Nikon

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 21-Jan-11 09:16 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Pop Photo's Review of D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Steve:

Thanks. I agree about the D7K. It is a great camera, imho.

The D80/D90/D7000 has always been my favorite body size. When I got back to photography, the camera I wanted was the D80, but got the D40 instead. I was considering the D80 when I was upgrading the D40, but got the D300. The D90 came out a few months after the D300; I would have gotten the D90 if it was available, instead of the D300. I got the D5000, instead of the D90 because of the Quiet mode single frame release and the rangefinder option for manual focusing, after selling the D300. The D5K came during the middle of a recall – power failure. If the serial number of the D5K was in the recall range, I would have sent it back and gotten the D90, instead. For one reason or another, my timing was always off for the D80/D90. This time around, I’m getting the D7K.

I placed the order for a used copy of the AF-S 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 from B&H ($270 – Condition = 9 – EDD: 1/26.) That is a safe purchase, because I have 30 days to return it, if I do not like it for whatever reason – B&H policy for used equipment.

What one reviewer, two, or more have to say about a camera or lens does not make the camera or lens better or worse. For example, my much maligned Zeiss ZF 50 1.4. It has been the target of many reviewers and people that do not have the lens. It is my sharpest lens, especially from f/2 and smaller. I could not care less what they say; I know what I have.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4773 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.