Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4753
View in linear mode

Subject: "Minolta to Nikon converter on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Sat 15-Jan-11 05:07 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Minolta to Nikon converter on D7000"

Shuswap, CA

I have a few Minolta MD Rokkor lens from a Minolta XD11 camera I owned back in the 70's.

One of these is the 500mm mirror lens.

Is it possible to mount this lens on my D7000 with an adapter?

I looked on Eb** and found this adapter and am tempted to give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/lens-adapter-Macro-Minolta-MD-Nikon-AI-without-glass-/390216259260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adab396bc

I am curious if anybody else has mounted an older non-Nikon lens on their D7000 using such an adapter.

Thanks

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 15-Jan-11 06:31 PM
3716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Minolta to Nikon converter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Jan-11 06:42 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

Who made the 500mm?

I have a Tamron 500mm with an Adaptall-2 mount system from back when I was shooting film in my Minoltas. For this all I needed to do was replace the Minolta mount with the Nikon mount (purchased on ebay). And program in the correct lens data into my D200...

Note that the ad states it is intended for macro usage. This may not be what you want.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Sat 15-Jan-11 07:41 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Minolta to Nikon converter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Jan-11 07:42 PM by wingdo

Chicago, US

That adapter ring is pretty thick. You will definitely turn the Minolta lens into a macro lens (just like putting on a small extension tube would). If you are looking for a macro lens, this may work great. If you are looking for general photography with a much loved Minolta lens this won't give you what you are looking for, and I can't imagine you're looking for macro with a 500mm mirrored lens.

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 02:42 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Minolta to Nikon converter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Sherman Oaks, US

Jim, hello!

If you want your MD glass to focus to infinity you'll want an adapter "with glass" and not "without glass".

In this case, "glass" means a corrective lens set into the adapter that allows infinity focus.

There are several of those on the same site you mentioned. Just take care to go for the highest quality glass you can find, as in this instance it's in the image chain. So cheap won't cut it here. There are nicer ones for a little more money available, one just has to be patient and sift them out from the sea of cheapos.

I've used several of these in the past and found I had to select and swap out many to get one very good one. But that was film, not FX or DX and back before we had decent correction software. Nowadays I think you'd find more options for aberration and distortion control than I did.

So YMMV but in my book still worth a try. With the glass lens element in the adapter.

Cheers!
Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4753 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.