Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4751
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?" Previous topic | Next topic
MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sat 15-Jan-11 04:45 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"

AW

That was the gist of the comment made by DPReview. I see posts of people accidentally moving the dial while shooting, as if the detents were not stiff enough. I'd be curious about user opinions on this.

""

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?
billD80 Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
jckingca Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
JPJ Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
Livetohunt
16th Jan 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Jan 2011
hazemhaddad
16th Jan 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
docimmer Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Jan 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 15-Jan-11 06:58 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>That was the gist of the comment made by DPReview. I see
>posts of people accidentally moving the dial while shooting,
>as if the detents were not stiff enough. I'd be curious about
>user opinions on this.

A good deal depends on how you hold/handle your camera (including taking it in/out of a case).

You also hear comments from people who remark that the battery cover or card cover is too easy to open... Could be.

I shoot a lot of verticals and horizontals, now using the battery grip. The only time my MODE dial was not set as I'd thought was when I left it on U1, and assumed it was on A (because that's how I usually shoot). Truth is, I've done that with ISO (assuming it was at 100, when I'd left it at 1600/3200 from a previous outing). Did this a number of times with my D200.

I've also inadvertently hit the AF/MF switch on lenses as I was pulling my camera out of my pack...

Now, I just take a moment to check over basic settings before I start using my camera. I've never mistakenly moved the MODE dial during a shoot. To me it feels right. But, if jostled, it's definitely moveable.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Sat 15-Jan-11 09:56 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

My mode dial has just the right amount of resistance. I can't foresee accidentally moving it.
-John

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 16-Jan-11 01:32 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 2

Warsaw, US

I accidently moved mine once. I had it on the seat of my truck with my 300mm f4 lens attached. It was laying on the mode dial and when I picked it up I must have dragged it before lifting it. It moved to M mode instead of A. It took a while to figure out why my images were extremely overexposed.
In normal use I have never bumped it. As for be flimsy or fragile, I don't agree. It has a firm detent, but yes, it could be firmer. It feels the same as my D5000.
If your thinking of buying a D7k don't think of this as a negative.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 01:28 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 16-Jan-11 01:30 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

>That was the gist of the comment made by DPReview. I see
>posts of people accidentally moving the dial while shooting,
>as if the detents were not stiff enough. I'd be curious about
>user opinions on this.

I can't speak for other people, but I can't imagine how I would accidentally move that dial. It has never happened to me. When I shoot my left hand is supporting the lens (handheld) or holding my beer (tripod). In neither situation is my hand anywhere near that dial when I shoot. Other than that, I carry my camera either in my backpack (a converted Deuter with an F-Stop ICU), my shoulder bag (a LowePro Classified) or on a Blackrapid strap. At no point in putting the camera in or taking it out, or carrying it around has my mode dial ever moved.

I also never had this happen on my D40 or D90.

Jason

p.s. I would prefer to give my opinion on DPReview....not good.

Livetohunt Registered since 12th Jan 2011Sun 16-Jan-11 01:37 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 16-Jan-11 01:38 AM by Livetohunt

US

No issues with mine. I've had my D7000 for approx 1 month and the dial seems to be just right.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 16-Jan-11 04:27 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Mine works exactly as I would expect, I can just barely move it with my thumb only and easily move it with opposing digits. It is quite similar in feel to the dial on my D40. I suppose that due to its position on the camera body (raised on top of the shutter control dial and near the edge of the camera body) that it would be more likely to be moved accidentally but that has not happened to me yet.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

hazemhaddad Registered since 04th Jan 2011Sun 16-Jan-11 07:56 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 0

AE

never had an issue. even though i have my Cam in a tight case but never had an issue.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 16-Jan-11 08:29 AM
3322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 7

Dyserth, GB

Never had a problem with that, but the battery cover is easy to leave open when removing a SD card. I've just got the MB-D11 grip and I find that so much better both in balancing the camera and for portrait orientation. I've been very critical of the D7000, but I think the dial and button design is excellent.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sun 16-Jan-11 01:19 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 8

Eau Claire, US

I did have a problem with that once - but I don't know if it happened when I was shooting, or if I was putting on a flash, or manipulating the camera in some other way. But, I've had that happen with other cameras as well. I don't think it is because the detents are not stiff enough.

I still do have problems with accidentally touching the lens release button - and it shutting off the autofocus. I think this is a camera defect - at least with my camera. The button is way too sensitive - the lightest touch shuts autofocus off. But, I'm willing to forgive it since I love this camera so much.

Steve

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 01:40 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ellington, US

I often turn this dial without realizing it until I snap off a picture and wonder why the camera is keeping the shutter open for 2 seconds. Then I see that it's in Manual mode and the aperture is at F16 where I last left it in that mode. PITA, but no big deal.

Same with the memory card door. I often accidentally open it. I guess it's because of how I pick up the camera at times.

No issues with the battery door.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 16-Jan-11 02:24 PM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 mode dial flimsy/fragile?"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

I also feel the review has indicated a real issue.

I've had it happen once or twice and now keep an eye on it.

Not real enough to make it a bad camera mind you, just something that could be improved.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.