Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4706
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zipl-lining with my D7k" Previous topic | Next topic
BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 05:18 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zipl-lining with my D7k"

Houston, US

Finally got my new D7k and have two lenses for it. The zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, and the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor .

I am planning a Costa Rico zip lining tour in several months, and would like to solicit your best thoughts for setting up U1 or U2 for optimal video using my neoprene chest harness.

I need settings/lense suggestions for the zip lining videos. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, including another thread where this should be posted.

TIA for your help.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zipl-lining with my D7k
billD80 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
elec164 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
Reply message Zip-lining with my D7k
BillboTex
14th Jan 2011
     Reply message RE: Zip-lining with my D7k
elec164 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
          Reply message Zipl-lining with my D7k
BillboTex
14th Jan 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
ConnorH
14th Jan 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 14-Jan-11 12:02 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zipl-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Finally got my new D7k and have two lenses for it. The
>zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, and the Tamron AF
>18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens
>with Built in Motor .
>
>I am planning a Costa Rico zip lining tour in several months,
>and would like to solicit your best thoughts for setting up U1
>or U2 for optimal video using my neoprene chest harness.
>
>I need settings/lense suggestions for the zip lining videos.
>Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, including
>another thread where this should be posted.
>
>TIA for your help.
>

10-24 on the zip-line video shoot...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 14-Jan-11 01:21 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zipl-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Have you ever zip-lined before?

I did a zip line tour in Costa Rica some years back and I would think it would be difficult at best to do any photographing or video capture while zipping along. The harness is around your crotch and waist and the tether that attaches to the zip line would pretty much go straight up in front of your chest.

So a chest mounted camera with a long lens would be almost out of the question and asking for possible lens and/or camera damage I would think. If you are inexperienced at this then I feel there is a need to use two hands most of the time to control yourself leaving little time to fuss with a camera. Plus trying to angle yourself to get the tether out of the way of the camera might send you spinning in circles making it dangerous when approaching the next tree platform (many tend to spin even with two hands).

If you have never experienced anything like this you can get an idea of what to expect by Googling ‘Costa Rica Crazy Monkey Zip Line Tours’ . I personally feel it would be difficult to capture meaningful video from a chest mounted camera while zipping. I’m sure others might disagree and provide suggestions that may workout.

My two cents.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 01:53 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Zip-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston, US

Thanks BillD, yes that seemed the most logical lens choice to me too.

Pete, thanks for your comments. No this would be my first zip-line experience. I was anticipating needing help from more experienced hands hence my forum post. I was hoping my neoprene chest harness would allow me continuous video while keeping both hands free, and was pretty sure that much of the video might end up on the cutting room floor because of my uncontrolled spinning movement. Thanks especially for your "tether" heads-up. Going to have to think about that one - I have a kayaking helmet with video camera mount, but wasn't thinking of having to redesign it for the D7k and taking it with me because of the tether location.

MY SETUP
ZacutoEVF Pro

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 14-Jan-11 02:37 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Zip-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You’ll have fun doing it!! It was quite an adrenaline rush. Swing through the trees some 30 to 50 feet in the air was quite an experience.

Checking the videos online myself I realize there are a number of different venues offering this in Costa Rica. One looked more commercial in that you seemed to zip between to erected towers. I took the Crazy Monkey Canopy tour which was more low tech in that you swung between wood erected tree platforms (if memory serves me correctly there were about 6 platforms).

One of the people in our group was a professional window washer. On our first swing he noticed most of us spinning and recommended a technique that work well. You place one hand on the carabiner and use it to control your spin by a twisting motion. It was a while ago but I believe you twisted with your hand into the direction of the spin that’s started.

I also noticed that much of the video shot by people were using the typical consumer palm held video camera. The only issue I see with that on the tour I took would be if you did not carry enough speed to make it to the next platform. In that case you would have to stow the camera safely to free up that hand being that you needed to spin your back to the platform and use a hand over hand technique on the zip line to pull yourself up to the platform. Some people were not able to do that which necessitated a guide to hook up and slide down to them using their legs to wrap around the waist of that person to drag them up into the station.

It may also be a good idea to go over to the new video forum to post there about this, although the ones who would answer there also participate here.

Pete

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 02:48 PM
#5. "Zipl-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

Thanks again, Pete. The two tours I am thinking is a "near volcano" one, and one billed as the longest zipline in the world.

MY SETUP
ZacutoEVF Pro

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 05:33 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Zipl-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

>Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, including
>another thread where this should be posted.
>
This is not specifically for video.
I did a zip lining tour about 2 months ago in costa rica.
I had camera around my neck with standard Nikon strap but did not shoot while I zip lined. I could have set up video but unless attached in some way I would imagine a very poor video. I needed 2 hands one to stop or slow me and one to keep me balanced.
I went with my wife and 2 daughters. There were 11 zip lines. I mostly went first and then took pictures of the rest of family when I landed.
At the time I had a D5000 and used an 18-200 vrii. >80% sharp images. I often started squeezing shutter too early and when family got close the buffer was full. It took me a few zip lines to correct this. I'm a slow learner.

I kept Focus on AF-C and had shutter speed > 800.
With the D7000 I would turn Focus lock to off as opposed to short or long. This is recommended for birds when they are flying at you instead of panning and should work well here.

Good luck and enjoy. It was a fantastic trip.
>

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 11:34 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Zipl-lining with my D7k"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 14-Jan-11 11:36 PM by ConnorH

AU

Just a thought: Capturing video with a small point-and-shoot or soda can-sized camcorder might be safer and less fiddly, and put fewer of your $$$ at risk. You could probably even velcro the sucker onto your vest.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4706 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.