Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4699
View in linear mode

Subject: "PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS" Previous topic | Next topic
gjdaus Registered since 15th Dec 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 02:36 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"

AU

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that, despite their 10 class speed rating, the two 32GB Patriot SDHC cards I tried in my D7000 did not work properly.
The various symptoms were camera lock-up, "Card ERR" message, inability to format at times, inability to view in playback etc.
When I returned the cards to the shop, they said they had received other complaints re Patriot 16GB and 32GB cards. I now find there are also quite a few comments on DPReview re problems with Patriot SDHC cards.

The same Partiot 32GB SDHC cards work perfectly in my son's Nikon D3100 - both for single shots and movie mode.

The very cheap ($A11) Team brand class 10 4GB cards work perfectly in the D7000, as do the very expensive ($A66) Sandisk Extreme III 8GB class 10 cards.

Seems it's very much a matter of trial and error.

I'd be interested to hear comments from other users re their experience with other brands of SDHC cards.

Graham Donaldson
Australia

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS
po6ept
14th Jan 2011
KingFisher3 Gold Member
14th Jan 2011
luxor817
14th Jan 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
vladman
14th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
gjdaus
15th Jan 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
14th Jan 2011
Reply message I'm using the following cards
HayMower Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
me_two Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
Marlin4E Silver Member
15th Jan 2011

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 04:08 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Peoria, US

I'm using a Patriot LX 16GB C10 card without trouble but I may need to relegate it to backup. I was looking at the Patriot 32GB, so thanks for the heads up. The Transcend 16GB C10 cards seem to work well.

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

KingFisher3 Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 07:51 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 14-Jan-11 07:53 AM by KingFisher3

San Antonio, US

I am also using 2 Class 10 Transcend 16G with good results. I am not a heavy user, but have dumped a couple 2K photos into my computer with no problems.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

luxor817 Registered since 06th Jan 2011Fri 14-Jan-11 09:05 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 2

US

i also use the Transcend Class 10 16GB card in my D7000 as well with now problems so far. great bang for the buck.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 10:51 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

I am using the Lexar Pro series 16GB 133 cards. No issues at all.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Fri 14-Jan-11 10:52 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Like the other couple of posters, I'm also using two Transcend Class 10 16GB SDHC cards, but unlike them, I AM having problems with mine, mainly, every now and then, I get the Card Err message. Seems a bit random, maybe mine are from a bad batch. I probably need to experiment a bit, and use just one, then the other card for a while, to see if it's just one card that has a problem.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 14-Jan-11 12:00 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have used Transcend 8gb, class 10 cards with no problem, and a PNY Professional 8gb, Class 10, no problem.

But these are now backup for Sandisk Extreme 8gb Class 10.

I caved into the "get what you pay for mentality" on the Sandisk cards because they are recommended by Nikon, and I see no good reason to take a chance with the media my images will be stored on.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 14-Jan-11 12:47 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I use a 32GB Patriot Class 10 card with no problems at all.
Could it be that you got a counterfeit?

"all class 10 cards are not equal.
In camera you should be concerned with the write speed,
to transfer your pictures it is the read speed which is very much effected by reader speed (Quality of USB cable or Firewire connected to camera, card reader, and even software used).

Try this link: http://robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

Also:

"If you own a camera or camcorder that uses SD cards, chances are you've confounded yourself at some point trying to figure out how fast a card you need (or want) for your device. This is complicated by a lot of factors, primarily that the Class specification defines a minimum sustained transfer rate--Class 6 is 6 megabytes per second, Class 10 is 10MBps, and so on."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10246593-1.html#ixzz1AvMAeyq1

gjdaus Registered since 15th Dec 2010Sat 15-Jan-11 02:51 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

While the 32GB patriot cards were purchased from a reputable outlet, these days it's very hard to be sure you are getting the genuine gear.
Dealers who have been found to be selling counterfeit gear are often unaware it is not the real thing.
I've sent an email to Patriot, so it will be interesting to see their reply.

The extract below from

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=37220075&changemode=1

describes the problems I experienced quite well -

"Re: D7000 and Patriot LX 16GB SD cards
dmulligan - 2 weeks ago
I have two 8GB Patriot LX Class 10 cards that work great so I bought 2 32GB cards on sale for boxing day. The 32GB cards do not work in the d7000. They will both write a few pictures but they fail oddly when trying to review or delete those pictures. The green light stays on for a very long time and the camera is mostly locked up."

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 14-Jan-11 05:05 PM
1391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

My experience mirrors Vladmans with Transcend cards. Two of my 32 GB class 10 cards failed right out of the packaging, while two worked. I returned all four for replacement. Transcend took three weeks to replace the cards. Lesson learned. Richard

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 14-Jan-11 05:43 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "I'm using the following cards"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In the D7000 (all 8gb):
Lexar Professional 133x class 10 (China)
Lexar Platinum II 100x class 6 (Korea)
SanDisk Ultra 15 MB/s class 6 (China)

In the D40X (all 4gb):
PNY Optima class 4 (Japan) (and 1 from China)
SanDisk Extreme III class 6 (China)
HP class 4 (Japan)

I had seveal 2gb cards but gave them to my son whose camera won't take SDHC cards.

I've only had one card failure - it was a PNY 4gb class 4 card - part of the case snagged on the D40X and it came apart - I managed to get the data from it, though.

I'm what could be called a memory card fanatic.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Fri 14-Jan-11 10:28 PM
1248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

I have always used the Sandisk cards both CF and SD and have not had any problems whatsoever. There speed is also excellent on the Extreme SD cards. Yes they cost a little more but it seems worth it to me since they are as fast as you can get and they work without problem.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

me_two Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2004Sat 15-Jan-11 01:24 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 10

Brisbane, AU

I am the same. Allways used Sandisk CF and SD cards.Never had a problem. I have 4 16GB class 10.

Marlin4E Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2011Sat 15-Jan-11 01:06 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: PATRIOT CLASS 10 SDHC CARDS"
In response to Reply # 10

Hamilton, US

I have also found Sandisk to be very reliable! I have bought CF cards for my D70 and D300. I have found the Ultra cards to be more than sufficient. As I have moved to the D7000, I bought 2 Sandisk Ultra 8gb for $24 at Staples. If you watch the local stores, you can always find reasonable sales on Sandisk memory cards.

My only failures have been with PNY cards. I have also used Lexar cards but found them to be more costly than Sandisk.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4699 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.