Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4643
View in linear mode

Subject: "Step by step guide" Previous topic | Next topic
PRADATTA Registered since 10th Jan 2011Wed 12-Jan-11 08:28 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Step by step guide"

New Delhi, IN

Hi Nikonians!

Can anybody there to outline me best practices for wildlife photography. Is it aperture priority or shutter or simply M mode...I would like to have close sharp birds photo by using D7k wid 300f4D...any suggestions / guidance please.

Regards,

Pradipta

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Step by step guide
Asgard Administrator
12th Jan 2011
PRADATTA
13th Jan 2011
aolander Silver Member
12th Jan 2011
PRADATTA
13th Jan 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
13th Jan 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
PRADATTA
14th Jan 2011
PRADATTA
14th Jan 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 12-Jan-11 05:56 PM
50190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

It depends on the situation.

Are the birds flying or sitting ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

PRADATTA Registered since 10th Jan 2011Thu 13-Jan-11 05:34 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 1

New Delhi, IN

In both scenario..Just brief me should it be aperture priority or shutter with my glass (300mm f4D)..Regards,

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 12-Jan-11 07:18 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

That's a rather broad question. You may use all the exposure modes, depending upon the situation, at one time or another. And a 300mm isn't usually long enough for birds, especially small ones. Adding a 1.4 or 1.7 tele-converter would help.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PRADATTA Registered since 10th Jan 2011Thu 13-Jan-11 06:00 AM
#4. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 2

New Delhi, IN

Yes Sir, you are right ..300mm is not close enough for birds photography..I will obviously use 1.4 as 1.7 is not that such compitible.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 13-Jan-11 11:33 AM
468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

Pradatta, In my few months here I have found that there are a number of ways to get from point A to any other point in photography. These guys are very helpful with a particular question or a particular situation. However, when it comes to "just tell be what to do" they are hesitant to broad brush something.

As a start you might want to down load the excellent spreadsheet posted by Chroaz http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4398&mesg_id=4398&page= The setting for Travel & landscape and Sports & Action might be a good starting point.

Also the threads below deal with birds. They offer suggestions.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4277&mesg_id=4277&page=

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=3966&mesg_id=3966&page=

Lastly, the Wildlife forum is a goldmine of information on wildlife shooting.

Good luck and welcome to Nikonians.

John

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=161

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Fri 14-Jan-11 03:01 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 5

Warsaw, US

One suggestion I can give is specific to the 300mm f4. I always shoot in A priority for everything. I found my 300mm f4 has a sweet spot at f6.3. I set my camera on a stable surface and focused on an objective and shot at each aperture. I did this on several objects. It seems from f4 to f10 the sharpness is equal except for f6.3, where it is much sharper. I use this aperture most of the time. With a TC (1.4 or 1.7) usually f8-f10 is best.
You may want to try this with your lens if you want the sharpest image from your lens.
I hope this is the type of info your looking for.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PRADATTA Registered since 10th Jan 2011Fri 14-Jan-11 04:59 AM
#8. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 6

New Delhi, IN

Thank you mr. Wayne Thomas...

PRADATTA Registered since 10th Jan 2011Fri 14-Jan-11 04:51 AM
#7. "RE: Step by step guide"
In response to Reply # 5

New Delhi, IN

Thanks John, Thanks for your guidance

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4643 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.