Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4630
View in linear mode

Subject: "Image Sizes D7000 Raw" Previous topic | Next topic
hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 11-Jan-11 09:02 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
Tue 11-Jan-11 09:19 PM by hamjam

Lincoln, US

Hi all,

I have my D7000 set to shoot raw 14bit. My image sizes are 34-36 MB in size.

Is this normal?

A friend of mine also a D7000 owner tells me his raw image size is 20-24 mb shooting at 14 bit.

Confused!!

I found my answer his images are in .nef format mine are in .dng!!

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw
wingdo
11th Jan 2011
hamjam Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
wingdo
11th Jan 2011
hamjam Silver Member
12th Jan 2011
ricphoto
12th Jan 2011
JPJ Silver Member
12th Jan 2011

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Tue 11-Jan-11 10:34 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 11-Jan-11 10:38 PM by wingdo

Chicago, US

Wait what? The D7000 can save RAW as either NEF or DNG? Or is Lossless Compressed DNG?

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 11-Jan-11 10:45 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

Doug,

NEF is the file name used by Nikon when it stores a raw image in the camera. DNG is the file name you can convert to if you want to when importing a RAW image into Adobe Lightroom. DNG stands for Digital Negative File.

Jim

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Tue 11-Jan-11 11:00 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 11-Jan-11 11:01 PM by wingdo

Chicago, US

Right right, I know the nomenclature, but the OP is implying that the 14bit RAW files he is outputting are DNG w/o a conversion. At least that is what I inferred.

If it's just during the import into LR, is there any benefit to using DNG as opposed to standard NEF? A 50% file size increase better have some good benefits.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 12-Jan-11 12:08 AM
#4. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 3

Lincoln, US

I'm the OP and had kind of cleared up my own question, in that my friend only imports NEF and I have alwaays done DNG.

As to the benefits of DNG vs NEF, I'm not really sure, except that I adopted using it after reading that many more experienced than I were using it instead of NEF. I'm not sure what makes the file so much larger than NEF, either. Perhaps one of the members with more experience than I can comment for us.

Jim

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 12-Jan-11 04:08 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, US

The main benefit of having your files in the dng format is that the spec is available to all developers who will be able to modify it and keep the files accessible long into the future...anyone with older digital devices whose codec/drivers etc weren't updated as the operating systems progressed over the years knows the pain of this. Eventually it just isn't cost effective for companies to keep updating and they stop.

Secondly if you all think back a few weeks ago to when the D7K first came out there was really only one program available to process the RAW nef files because Nikon holds (rightfully so) it's proprietary data close. Converting those files to dng re-opened the possibilities of using other editing programs during the time it took Adobe and others to develop their own nef converters (ACR)

When you export as a dng you are given the option of saving it with or without the original nef imbedded in it. Choosing to save the original file was something we all did at first until reaching a comfort/confidence level with dng's but it did result in bloated file sizes.

There's lots more but hope that helps...

...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 12-Jan-11 12:41 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Image Sizes D7000 Raw"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

For Nikon however it would only be a benefit if Nikon's proprietary software starts supporting DNG format. Unless I missed it (which is possible) I did not think it did. So being able to convert your files to DNG in adobe and other programs doesn't help you when Nikon releases a new camera and only Nikon's proprietary software properly converts the RAW. Until a program that can both convert the RAW properly and save it as DNG is released, you are still waiting for support to catch up.

Personally I have not bought into the DNG format. Imho it offers really nothing over the RAW/NEF format (unless of course everyone bought into it, which they are not right now).

Jason

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4630 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.