Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #463
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 grip already peeling (not really)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 26-Sep-10 05:00 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 grip already peeling (not really)"
Mon 27-Sep-10 12:19 AM by ZoneV

US

I just don't get it...

See here: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Nikon-D7000-Digital-Camera-First-Impressions-Review.htm

Edit: See posts below for an explanation.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 grip already peeling
briantilley Moderator
26th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
26th Sep 2010
dm1dave Administrator
26th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
27th Sep 2010
JPJ Silver Member
26th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
27th Sep 2010
sdhoot
07th Dec 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
08th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
08th Dec 2010
Reply message RE: D7000 grip already peeling (not really)
pranavphadke
27th Sep 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 26-Sep-10 06:52 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 26-Sep-10 06:54 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

I don't think it's fair to judge future durability from one pre-production example.

By the way, the linked preview contains several factual errors. For example, saying that "AI lenses need a motor in the camera to focus them" whereas actually they need the good old Left Hand Mark I

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 26-Sep-10 07:40 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 1

US

They also seem to think that it's intended to replace the D5000!

I just don't get it why Nikon would have one with a dangling grip on display. Maybe they needed to access a hidden reset button or something.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 26-Sep-10 08:49 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

That actually look like it may be a small access point. Notice that not only is the rubber sticking out but the whole plastic edge is sticking out. Also look at the picture that shows the bottom of the body the area in question is clearly different then the areas around it.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 27-Sep-10 06:30 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Another error, which we could not be so lucky to be true: "selling price of $1199 with 18-105vr kit lens"
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 26-Sep-10 11:56 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think it is the power connector cover.

See the diagram here:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/compatibility03.htm

#54.

Jason

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 27-Sep-10 12:00 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Great find! Interesting location. I wonder if it impacts the environmental sealing of the grip area.

sdhoot Registered since 12th Oct 2010Tue 07-Dec-10 05:49 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 4

Leamington Spa, GB

>I think it is the power connector cover.
>
>See the diagram here:
>
>http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/compatibility03.htm
>
>#54.
>
>Jason

Does anyone else have a problem with the Power connector opening or getting in the way, whilst taking pictures?

I am new to DSLR's and noticed that the connector keeps coming-up whilst taking photo's. I first noticed it when a friend was taking photo's at a party, only having had the Camera a day.

I am a complete novice so I have put it doen to not knowing how to hold the camera correctly.

Satpal

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 08-Dec-10 12:13 AM
#9. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 08-Dec-10 12:14 AM by ZoneV

US

>>I think it is the power connector cover.
>>
>>See the diagram here:
>>
>>http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/compatibility03.htm
>>
>>#54.
>>
>>Jason
>
>Does anyone else have a problem with the Power connector
>opening or getting in the way, whilst taking pictures?
>
>I am new to DSLR's and noticed that the connector keeps
>coming-up whilst taking photo's. I first noticed it when a
>friend was taking photo's at a party, only having had the
>Camera a day.

That's no good! I have the same issue on my D1x. It just won't stay closed. The connector cover is totally on a different part of the camera from the D7000 and is large. Nikon seems to always have issues like this with rubber parts for some reason.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 08-Dec-10 02:07 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

I've got a D7000 with over 1000 images. The power connector flap does not open or get in the way. It's not an issue at all. If a friend has an issue with it, there is probably some other issue. Perhaps it was never closed properly. There is a small ridge around the rubber flaps which keeps them from easily opening.

The grip is a separate part - and is also a magnesium frame and weather sealed. It should hold up just fine under normal use.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

pranavphadke Registered since 12th Sep 2010Mon 27-Sep-10 03:32 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 grip already peeling (not really)"
In response to Reply # 0

Pune, IN

thats some sort of cover not closed properly and not rubber peeling off!!saw lot of post of f80 rubber degradation was surprised to see even new cameras have this or what!!

!!!Be Wat U R!!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #463 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.