Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4567
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system" Previous topic | Next topic
Psyche Registered since 09th Jan 2011Mon 10-Jan-11 01:01 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"

Owensboro, US

Hello. I am a second shooter and primary digital artist for a very profitable, boutique portrait studio. I am a long time Nikon shooter...N80, D70, D200, D300, D5000. However, I sold my Nikon equipment about a year ago and made the switch to Canon.

Having used the Canon equipment, I can't say that I hate the set up, but it is just not what I am used to. Nearly a year later I still find myself thinking almost daily how I wish I had my Nikon gear back.

My reasoning for making the switch was that the studio owners are Canon users exclusively and it would make it easier to share lenses, flashes, etc. They encouraged the switch as well. It has been nice in that respect. Just yesterday they were needing to use my speed light on a location shoot. Also, we plan to launch a commercial division this year. They will be picking up at least the 24mm T/S lens. I would miss getting to use that lens and a couple of others in their line up.

With that said, I miss the comfort zone I had with my Nikon equipment. I love the FF aspect of the 5DMK2 but loathe the AF! I also shoot outside of work for personal gratification and am working on my PPA masters having two prints go loan last year. I personally like shooting Nikon MUCH better. Would it be crazy to think about coming back? Or maybe I should consider using both? I just hate to tie money up on both sides I guess. And I see the benefit of selling the MK2 before a MK3 arrives on the scene. The MK2 can make beautiful images but the AF really holds it back for some of the specific things I shoot. I also like the Nikon Speedlight much better. I just can't seem to get used to the ergonomics of the MK2 either. It still does not feel comfortable in my hands.

I would love to see a D700 replacement in the imminent future. But what about this D7000? I loved the D200...was not as crazy about the D300's image quality. While the D300 improved on the D200 in a lot of areas, I felt the D200 delivered a nicer image. I like the resolution on the D7000...good but not overkill. What matters most to me for the great majority of shooting I do personally is AF speed, accuracy, ability to focus in low light, and image quality. The camera would be fine for the studio work I do.

I know this is something I am going to have to work out for myself but I guess I wanted to think out loud here and see what others might think, or even if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

BE

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system
PAStime Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
ricphoto
10th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
Psyche
10th Jan 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
11th Jan 2011

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 01:57 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 10-Jan-11 01:58 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Here is my ten cents: we can deliberate endlessly about Nikon versus Canon. We know both are excellent, and each has its merits. If your gig at this studio and its planned commercial expansion are your main source of income, I would focus more on picture taking and less on the equipment. In other words, stay with Canon for as long as your employer stays with Canon. Peter

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 04:11 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

Hi Psyche...

as a Photo Business owner I have a problem with your "very profitable" employers encouraging your switch and "sharing" your equipment...

That being said...If you feel more comfortable with Nikons for your personal work then by all means come on back to the dark side...

My cameras are tools that I am very comfortable with...they fit...I rarely think about them while using them...the ergonomics are just the way they should be...for me.

This allows me to concentrate on creating the image or working with the subject or...? everything but worrying about where that button or function is...

a good case in point I went down and worked in a friends all Canon studio a few weeks ago...thinking I'd try to fit in I tried shooting for almost 2 days with a 5D...didn't fit, buttons in the wrong places, missing controls and misnamed functions...I found myself spending 70% of my time figuring out how to get the camera to do what I wanted it to and my images suffered for it...

I finally threw up my hands and got my Nikons out and merrily shot the last 2 days and what a difference.

People will say you can get used to anything and you can...to a point.

I say do whatever you can to increase your comfort level and enable your creativity...

Let your boss buy his own equipment.

;-p

...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 10-Jan-11 06:02 AM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

I replaced my D90 with a 5D2 and regretted it.
The Landscapes and FullFrame Video were great.
I think the 5D2 is Canon's best camera for manual shooting.

I replaced the 5D2 with the D7000 and am so glad.
I like the 20 minute Video and "quality is good enough" although not easy to match at 1080.
Landscapes are easier for me to shoot because the Nikon handles better.
The D7000 image quality is at least equal and I like Nikkors much and even Sigmas more than those Grey lens.
AF is so much better that the keeper rate has improved by about 3 times on action shots.
Neither is a match for a D3s in speed or high ISO.
My next camera will be a D800 or D4.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 10-Jan-11 03:12 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>But what about this D7000? I loved the D200...was not as crazy
>about the D300's image quality. While the D300 improved on the
>D200 in a lot of areas, I felt the D200 delivered a nicer
>image. I like the resolution on the D7000...good but not
>overkill. What matters most to me for the great majority of
>shooting I do personally is AF speed, accuracy, ability to
>focus in low light, and image quality. The camera would be
>fine for the studio work I do.

I came from the D200 to the D7000. While I didn't own a D300/s, I worked with images coming from those cameras (via freinds who needed some PP).

The image quality of the D7000 is excellent, and I believe a good deal better than the D200 (which I loved). For me, I think the tonal gradations seem smoother, and certainly the low noise is better, and all of my lenses focus faster on the D7000.

ONE possibility... RENT a D7000/lens and compare it with your Canon 5DMKiiclz.370a4T

Seriously, do an A/B comparison (leaving ergonomics aside) and see what you see.

Rockwell's comparisons including the D7000 (vs. the 5D and D700) are very informative...

Another aspect is this, if the D7000 has you wavering (which I think it should), then a "D800"/"D400" will make a switch back to the Dark Side a completely foregone conclusion.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Psyche Registered since 09th Jan 2011Mon 10-Jan-11 07:45 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 4

Owensboro, US

Ric...I didn't mean to imply that my employer wanted me to buy Canon gear so they could borrow my stuff. They are long time Canon shooters and we joked back and forth for a while because we were on opposing teams. Lol. They have plenty of cameras, lenses, speed lights, anything they need they have or they order it up. It is moreover that I can borrow/use the studio lenses if need be. It also makes it easy to talk about settings and how to change this or that if we all are using/familiar with the same gear. Does that make sense? They would never dictate that I have to shoot Canon. They just thought it was a great idea when I first considered making the switch.

Thank you all for your comments. I have several things I am trying to reason out. Of course I don't want to flop back and forth because you lose money switching and it is pretty silly. If I had plenty of extra cash, I would just have some of both. There are benefits to both sides and weaknesses to both. I like the Canon f4 lenses...quality glass if you don't need 2.8 and more affordable. I like the feel of Nikon better and the cameras have always felt more intuitive to me. On the other hand I love the FF and wouldn't consider the D700 at this stage of the game. That is one reason I made the move...tired of waiting for a higher resolution FF Nikon body. We routinely print large prints. The extra resolution, now that it is available, I consider necessary. Before, you made do with what you had because there weren't other options. Now, the extra MP really help when printing big.

In the end I have discovered that I need/like a FF body and a crop. I was thinking I could come back and pick up the crop now...sell of my Canon gear while it will still bring the best money...then buy the FF D700 when it comes out. They have to bring one to market eventually, right? Lol.

I could sell my 70-200 lens and pick up the D7000 with kit lens and see how I like it. It doesn't really hurt me to do that as they have a 70-200 at the studio that I could use anytime. What do you think about the kit lens that comes with it? I like to have an all purpose lens for family trips and such.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 11-Jan-11 12:16 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your thoughts 5DMK2 to D7000 or duel system"
In response to Reply # 5

Warsaw, US

>What do you think about the kit lens that comes with
>it? I like to have an all purpose lens for family trips and
>such.

I bought the D7000 kit and used the 18-105 lens for a short time but wasn't overly impressed with it. I gave my "old" D5000 and the 18-105 to my wife to use and she has taken some nice sharp images with that combo. She's not into the hobby as much as me but she has a much better sense of composition than I do.
I bought the 16-85 lens and it produces much better photos with the D7000. Some reviews on the web suggest using really good glass with the D7000 to get the best sharpness out of the 16mp. I guess that could be said about any DSLR body. But I'm guessing with your photography background, you would be happier with the 16-85.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4567 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.