Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4516
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question for D7000 owner" Previous topic | Next topic
Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 02:08 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question for D7000 owner"

US

I have a D40 now and am just starting to get the hang of "A" "S" and "M" mode. We just had a son and I have been taking a ton of pictures.

I'm not sure how the sensor, auto focus points, light meter, etc in the D7000 vs D40 work in real world examples, and have had a hard time finding something online to show me.)

If I were to take some pictures of my new born around the house and took the exact same shot, with the exact same lens just switching camera bodies (D40 and D7000) would the two pictures look night and day different? Or just minimal?

I know the D7000 is a much "better" camera, I"m just trying to figure out for the cost, how much real world difference I'll be able to notice.

So the question is - the exact same shot, lens, etc...just swamping camera body, will I see a considerable difference?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question for D7000 owner
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
09th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
09th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
09th Jan 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 03:23 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

It depends on what those conditions are

Ideal good light conditions then less difference but even then there should be an increase in resolution allowing larger screen and print size. At higher ISOs (think indoor natural light) there should be a noticeable difference notwithstanding the D40 is already pretty decent.

And with flash the D7000 acts as a commander allowing you to hold a second flash so the image should be better.

Then there are the many other camera features that lead to better results such as the better autofocus.

To get the most out of the camera you will want to up your game and build a solid understanding of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and AF (not to mention post-processing, exposure, and composition).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 03:51 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 09-Jan-11 03:52 AM by Rick_Smith

US

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'll do is keep using the D40 the next year or so, and learn how to use it inside and out. Then when I upgrade one day I'll know what I'm getting /needing.

I'm not sure if this is the norm, but for most of the pictures I"m taking are of my new born son. (I've posted what I plan for 95% of my shots to be like the next year at least.) Do you think the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-200 kit lens, the 35 mm 1.8 afs lens, and a SB-600 will allow me to do some nice shots, even better then the ones I posted? (This is my first shot at going off A or P mode, so I know my "stuff" is off, but I'm learning. I'm pretty sure many of these are under exposed / over exposed. I'd be glad to get some info from you on suggestions how what to change in the future for shots like these. I think you can see my exif data for these photos. Let me know if you can't. Thanks for the advice! (My wife will be very happy to here me say I'm waiting !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/5329124540/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/5328512543/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/5328507043/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/5328504365/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/5328522715/

EDIT - I thought I could put the link in the body and have the pictures show up in line, but it didn't work. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 04:21 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 2

Tucson AZ, US

>I thought I could put the link in the body and have the pictures show up in line, but it didn't work. How do I go about doing that? Thanks!

There's a forum called "About Nikonians & Galleries." The post below explains the easiest way to do it:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=134&topic_id=9086&mesg_id=9086&page=

Visit my gallery on 23hq

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 07:25 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'll do is keep using
>the D40 the next year or so, and learn how to use it inside
>and out. Then when I upgrade one day I'll know what I'm
>getting /needing.

This is incredibly wise. Why?

Because the D40 is a great camera, capable of stunning results...

Also, if someone can't get great results from a D40, they won't be able to with a D7000.

Lastly, you have an intuitive sense about something that lot's of us (me) miss... If you don't know why you need something, then, usually, you don't.

Let's say you never enlarge your shots bigger than 12x18. In that event, the quality of a D7000 image against the D40 might not be perceptible. And even if it was, in a direct A/B comparison, that wouldn't mean the D40 image was "bad".

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 07:27 PM
#5. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 09-Jan-11 07:31 PM by briantilley

US

I NEVER print anything over 4x6 and really keep everything on the computer.

I guess I was just thinking that pictures at iso 1600 on the d7000 would like iso 200 on the d40....

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 07:50 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 09-Jan-11 07:51 PM by billD80

US

>
>I NEVER print anything over 4x6 and really keep everything on
>the computer.
>
>I guess I was just thinking that pictures at iso 1600 on the
>d7000 would like iso 200 on the d40....

Geez, I don't know... But at 4x6 as great as the D7000 is, I don't know that there'd be a perceptible difference. Are you seeing noise at 4x6? Then, I'd guess you wouldn't with a D7000...

Here's one I took an hour ago on the D7000 at 1600, no noise reduction in-camera or after...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 09-Jan-11 07:36 PM
28730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question for D7000 owner"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>I thought I could put the link in the body and have the
>pictures show up in line, but it didn't work. How do I go
>about doing that?

I'm pretty sure our Forum software only displays an image in-line if the link ends in ".jpg" - I'll check it out.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4516 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.