Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4502
View in linear mode

Subject: "My thoughts after 6200 exposures" Previous topic | Next topic
eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 09:11 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
Sat 08-Jan-11 09:15 PM by eric k

San Diego, US

I got my D7K in early November and have been busy racking up about 6200 exposures, almost all bird pics.

What I like ...

• Very fast autofocus even in poor light.
• The battery needs charging only once a week or so.
• High ISO capability.. very good, but not "noiseless." I've attached a pic of a Townsend's warbler - ISO 2500.
• Lightweight body

What I don't like:

• Limited buffer - I only shoot RAW, and I've missed a few shots because of this.
• The knob that selects the shooting mode, A,M,S,P etc, is not secure. Again today, it slipped into M when I didn't notice and I lost some shots. This never happened with my D300.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures
jckingca Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
eric k
08th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
eric k
09th Jan 2011
mrginhop
09th Jan 2011
eric k
09th Jan 2011
MstrBones Silver Member
10th Jan 2011

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 09:21 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Great photo. The "noise" at ISO 2500 in this picture reminds me of what film grain in Tri-X used to be at similar enlargement. I think this is very good indeed and the tonal gradation seems to be holding up pretty well at that speed.

John

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 09:58 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 1

Ocean Grove, AU

>Great photo. The "noise" at ISO 2500 in this
>picture reminds me of what film grain in Tri-X used to be at
>similar enlargement. I think this is very good indeed and the
>tonal gradation seems to be holding up pretty well at that
>speed.
>
>John

I had a go in re-processing this using Noise Ninja with good results.

See re-worked pic.

Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 10:46 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

Yes.. I use Noise Ninja also and have similar results. The lighting on the bird was very soft and even. I did not have time to adjust the aperture from f5.6 1/3200 to f8.. but the bird is still pretty sharp (300/4 w/1.4TC) Photo taken this morning in residential San Diego.

I bought PSE9 and downloaded the ARC6.3 It works exactly like PS5 with the same ARC. There is a built in noise reduction tool in PSE9.. but its not as good as Noise Ninja

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 03:35 AM
4087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

Amazing shot Eric - well done.

I know what you mean about the buffer. What I am wondering is if we add UHS-1 memory cards with the fastest available buffer emptying capability - will the buffer issue "go away"?

If the buffer can empty as fast as we can fill it then we are good to go. Or at lest better off than now. See Dean's thread about Class 6/10 cards (23 vs. 8 seconds).

It will be interesting to see how this Plays out.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 07:31 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Yes.. I use Noise Ninja also and have similar results. The
>lighting on the bird was very soft and even.

Can I ask, on the posted image, what was the percentage of the enlargement used? 100%? 65%?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 09:32 PM
#8. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 7

San Diego, US

I'm sure that the enlargement was at least 100% e

mrginhop Registered since 29th Mar 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 04:18 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Newfields, US

My experience shooting 7500 mostly BIF shots on the D7000 is very much the same as yours. I also found that it is easy to accidentally rotate the sub-command dial on the back of the camera & blow shots. Have you found this as well?

Mike

eric k Registered since 31st May 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 12:48 PM
#6. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

Mike: I've not noticed a problem with the sub-command knob. Its possible that not I have realized that it shifted. But I usually check the aperture before I shoot and make adjustments. The the mode dial is more perplexing. eric

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 10-Jan-11 04:51 AM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My thoughts after 6200 exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

>The knob that selects the shooting mode, A,M,S,P etc, is not secure

I had read the same comment about the dial feeling a bit wobbly in DPReview. It surprises me that it is not like previous Nikons.

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4502 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.