Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4489
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Dynamic range..." Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 03:53 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Dynamic range..."
Sat 08-Jan-11 03:54 PM by billD80

US

OK, this is a lousy image, BUT it shows the dynamic range inherent in the D7000.

This is converted straight from RAW to JPEG for this post. No PP involved. Active DLighting set in camera on HIGH. Note the texture in the foreground snow, and the shadow detail in the trees at left.

As GREAT as it was, my D200 could NEVER have handled this without a good deal of PP.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Dynamic range...
jadiniz
08th Jan 2011
JPJ Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
agitater Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
GCDawn
10th Jan 2011
JosephK Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
10th Jan 2011

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 04:32 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 0

Estoril, PT

Indeed, TWO thumbs up, I find nothing lousy about this image, except for some distorsion (and those damn wires). BTW, which lens did you use, if I may ask?

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 11:40 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

At 8mm is could only be the Sigma 8-16.

The detail in the snow is really impressive for both camera and lens.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 12:26 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 4

US

>At 8mm is could only be the Sigma 8-16.
>
>The detail in the snow is really impressive for both camera
>and lens.
>
>Jason

Yes, the Sigma 8-16mm on a quick run out to the driveway when the sun popped out...

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 04:43 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think the shot is initially a bit freaky looking because the subject combined with wide angle perspective distortion looks a lot like a Google StreetView capture. Then all the fine details begin to appear along with a completely natural looking sky and a complete absence of blowouts. The D7000 combined with an optically clean lens exceeds, by far, many of the technical capabilities of pro Nikon bodies of just a few years ago.

Somebody send this shot to the Google StreetView people. I guarantee they'll be buying D7000 bodies and Nikkor 16-85 VR lenses immediately thereafter.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 05:39 PM
#3. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Can't speak to Google, but this image was a grab shot, done at 8mm...

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Mon 10-Jan-11 07:26 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

Here's something that confuses me. I didn't think active D Lighting made any difference to RAW files. Did you convert to JPEG using Nikon software and would that make any difference? I use RAW and Lightroom/Camera Raw and never set active D lighting. I did have a go at a few test shots with and without ADL but couldn't notice any difference.

Thanks for all the informative posts

Dawn.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 10-Jan-11 07:49 AM
4109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, WA, US

The EXIF data says ViewNX 2. Thus the camera settings were probably applied during the conversion, which ACR would not do.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 10-Jan-11 02:17 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 Dynamic range..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

>The EXIF data says ViewNX 2. Thus the camera settings were
>probably applied during the conversion, which ACR would not
>do.
>

Yes.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.