Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4463
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!" Previous topic | Next topic
beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 02:15 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"

Ellington, US

I am so mad at myself. Today, a co-worker showed up at work with her 1 year old son. So, I took advantage of the occasion to snap some pictures of him as he crawled around the office. What a little tiger, he loved crawling everywhere. Anyhow, I noticed that he liked to grab onto things and then hoist himself up on his feet. He'd stand there, then drop back down to crawl again.

Suddenly, he seemed uninterested in going back down on his hands and knees. That's when his mother said, "Oh my goodness, is he going to walk? He has never even attempted to walk until now!"

Dangit! Here I am, lying on the floor in front of this boy, and he's going to walk, and I cannot figure out how to turn on the video! Sure, it's simple now that I'm out of the heat of the moment, just press that red button. But at the time, and because I never ever use video nor have I cared about it, I couldn't figure it out with any degree of confidence. I kept thinking that maybe I should hit the Live View switch, but then I realized that this wouldn't initiate video, and I was afraid do to anything else for fear that I would render the camera in a state where I couldn't continue to record this big event. So I just kept shooting instead.

Here's little Connor taking his first steps in life:

I didn't have the heart to tell his mother that my camera is capable of recording this major milestone in video. In fact, I'll never tell

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!
PAStime Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
08th Jan 2011
MEMcD Moderator
08th Jan 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: Ignore D7000 Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!
billD80 Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
Reply message RE:Perhaps it is time for a rethink
Len Shepherd Gold Member
08th Jan 2011
HayMower Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
11th Jan 2011

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 02:58 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Good story - thanks for sharing! Peter

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 05:18 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Great lesson, funny story. I've only dabbled with video but I think I could pull it off if I actually remember its there in the heat of the moment. That remains to be seen.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 06:06 AM
24988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Wake up Call!
Great story and lesson.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 10:07 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

James,

Great shot of Connor and his mom. There are people that don't have a desire to use the video but I believe this is a good example showing that the camera does have additional benefits; if we're willing to learn and explore. It is always better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 12:12 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ignore D7000 Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

OK, I'll admit it... I was at a concert put on by son son in front of several hundred people... We forgot the Kodak "flip" video camera, and it NEVER occured to me I had a D7000 video camera right in my own two hands!

Amazing how mindsets can make no sense, but be set firmly in steel.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 01:07 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Great story and good advice. I have tried the video twice. Both times just to see what it does.

BTW - Look at the bright side. The mother now has a picture of her son's first steps. And yes, don't tell her...

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 02:42 PM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 08-Jan-11 06:24 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Pressing that Video button could have been a great success if the camera were set up correctly and you achieved focus.
Otherwise it would have been a disaster with missed still shots.

I suggest practicing before putting it to a critical test.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 08-Jan-11 09:59 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE:Perhaps it is time for a rethink"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

>Pressing that Video button could have been a great success if the camera were set up correctly and you achieved focus.
>Otherwise it would have been a disaster with missed still shots.
Nikon thought of this issue
You can set the D7000 camera to start video using hand held mode with correct focus, within 5 seconds of picking the camera up.
Then just press the shutter when you want a full resolution still, and the record button to go back to video.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Sat 08-Jan-11 04:05 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>Great story and good advice. I have tried the video twice.
>Both times just to see what it does.
>
>BTW - Look at the bright side. The mother now has a picture of
>her son's first steps. And yes, don't tell her...
>
>John

I've used the video twice on my D7000 - once to record a hot pixel before I installed the firmware fix, and once to record its absence after the fix was in. <smile>

Seriously, it is a great story and a good reminder of what van be done with this wonderful camera!

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 03:43 AM
4087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Great story James. I agree with Roger about practicing. I seem to have made dozens of mistakes on the video side of things already. I once shot a whole clip with excellent controlled panning and zooming - only to realize I had mixed up when it is recording and when it is not

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 02:55 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 10

Ellington, US

>Great story James. I agree with Roger about practicing.

Yes, this is exactly my point, that we need to realize that there is likely to be times and places when we'll really want to video record something that is very important to us. Therefore, if we are wise, we will get to know this feature of our camera and get to know it well. This way, when we are in the heat of the moment, we can video record with the same level of confidence that we take still shots.

Now I wasn't aware that I could video record, yet snap off shots at will when ever I wanted to. Nice!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 06:56 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 09-Jan-11 06:58 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Good idea to practice video so "it's in your back pocket" should you need it. I have a hard enough time getting one still shot to look good let alone 24 of them per second!

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 11-Jan-11 12:31 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Ignore Digital SLR Video at Your Own Peril!"
In response to Reply # 12

Warsaw, US

Here's something else you could have done. Set the shutter to CH and rattled off a bunch of still shots. Then put them in a high speed slideshow!
That is a great story. I had visions of panic setting in as your trying to activate video. Maybe I should learn it also.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4463 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.