Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4462
View in linear mode

Subject: "remote control does not focus first" Previous topic | Next topic
meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 02:00 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"remote control does not focus first"

Springfield, US

When I am using the remote, ML-L3, the camera shoots even if the image is not in focus. The AF/M switch is set to AF. I have the AF set to AF-S. Autofocus menu a1 and a2 are both set to focus. I have two D-7000s and it does the same thing. It does autofocus when I press the shutter release.
thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: remote control does not focus first
DeanAZ Moderator
08th Jan 2011
elec164 Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
meadowlark Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
elec164 Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
jadiniz
08th Jan 2011
meadowlark Silver Member
08th Jan 2011

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 03:57 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I don't think this lack of autofocus trigger is a feature as mine works as expected. To see if it might be some setting you have configured try the camera mode in Green Auto position and see what happens. Mine will focus in MUP, Instant and 2 SEC modes and I can't imagine how I could get it to do what you are experiencing.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 04:17 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I do not know if it is similar to your situation, but I have noticed something that might apply.

When having the camera set for the IR remote and you half-press the shutter button and achieve focus lock, it will maintain that lock and the use of the remote will not activate the camera focus and will take the shot even if you manually alter the focus to make the subject out of focus.

But if you manually over-ride and make the subject out of focus then half-press but not allow focus lock, the remote will then activate camera focus.

At least I hope I explained what I have noticed coherently enough for you to understand it.

Pete

Pete

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 12:30 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 2

Springfield, US

Thanks. If I do not press the shutter button the lens will focus first.

"But if you manually over-ride and make the subject out of focus then half-press but not allow focus lock, the remote will then activate camera focus."

I am not sure how to not have focus lock when pressing the shutter release half way.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 08-Jan-11 12:43 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Thanks. If I do not press the shutter button the lens will
>focus first.
>
>"But if you manually over-ride and make the subject out
>of focus then half-press but not allow focus lock, the remote
>will then activate camera focus."
>
>I am not sure how to not have focus lock when pressing the
>shutter release half way.

Yes when you set to remote mode and half-press achieving focus lock it seems to lock and maintain a focus lock disabling AF with remote use.

What I did was to go to an extreme away from what is locked (if focused close I set to infinity or vice verse). Then a very short half press will initiate the AF without achieving lock. Or you could turn the camera off then back on; or move the mode dial off of remote then back which also seems to clear the focus lock. Seems odd to me for it to work this way, but I am sure Nikon had a reason for doing it.

Pete

Pete

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 04:35 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 4

Estoril, PT

I had the same problem, but found out there's a combination of AF functions that works as desired. I know I was in remote-2secs, but forgot which settings for the AF, will have to go back and find them again. But rest assured, they're there, without needing to pre-de-focus.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Jan-11 04:39 PM
#6. "RE: remote control does not focus first"
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

If you can find them I would appreciate it
thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4462 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.