Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4417
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 HDR RAW TIP" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 07-Jan-11 12:40 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
Fri 07-Jan-11 08:57 PM by billD80

US

This may be obvious to everyone, but me... Still, coming from a D200, when thi wasn't nearly as noticeable, if shooting in RAW, even though Photomatix has a D7000 RAW conversion ability built-in, I've noticed a HUGE improvement if you convert NEFs to JPEGs (or TIFFs) via VIEW NX2 (or Capture NX2), BEFORE going to Photomatix.

Because of the D7000 WhiteBalance ability, this dramatically reduces the need for PostProcessing Color Correction after the HDR image has been generated.

The final result can be reached either way, but one takes a good deal less labor.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
Sventek
08th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
09th Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
09th Jan 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 07-Jan-11 01:54 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

Very nice!
For shots like this I would probably shoot NEF + JPEG just to not loose any opportunity to get the best image.

Nearly all our pictures "capture the moment".
Low quality Event Photos that do this outsell a "masterpiece" that does not.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 07-Jan-11 05:18 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Very nice!
>For shots like this I would probably shoot NEF + JPEG just to
>not loose any opportunity to get the best image.
>

Thanks. I'm not sure why shooting NEF only risks losing a best image opportunity?

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 07-Jan-11 09:25 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 07-Jan-11 09:31 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Hey Bill,

I do this (shoot NEF and convert) and then have both formats available and then can pull up either from the screen. I don't believe you lose any data by doing this? Also, this saves space on the card.
John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 07-Jan-11 09:33 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Hey Bill,
>Instead of shooting both NEF + JPEG, thereby reducing the available >shots on the card, wouldn't it be easier to shoot NEF, download to >ViewNX2 and then use the convert button to convert to JPEG? I do >this and then have both formats available and then can pull up >either from the screen. I don't believe you lose any data by doing >this? This goes back to what the OP said and your take.

>John

Well, yes John. Your point is mine too. I am the OP...

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 03:15 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Actually, when I do shoot both formats, I keep the NEF as backup.
Then in the rare instance that I cannot get what I want out of the JPEG (which is much easier and faster with ACDsee Pro),
then I can work with the RAW file.
At that point I will use the Nikon software and also fire up CS5 if needed.

Sventek Registered since 23rd Dec 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 10:51 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

I believe that using .jpeg files is the recommendation for Photomatix. I'm pretty sure it's on their website.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 08-Jan-11 12:35 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I believe that using .jpeg files is the recommendation for
>Photomatix. I'm pretty sure it's on their website.

Actually, it's not the recommendation. The website indicates jpegs CAN be used, but assumes that for most people, RAW or TIFFs will be used (depending on circumstances).

To me, the D7000 great White Balance ability trumps the Photomatix conversion (though using the D200 I didn't find this to be the case).

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 04:09 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 09-Jan-11 04:11 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

With my other cameras I found I get a much sharper end result by using ViewNX to convert to TIFF first and take those into Photomatix. I assume this is because View NX bakes in the in-camera sharpening when creating the TIFF. I hadn't thought about the WB but perhaps that was an additional factor as to why I liked the end result better. And don't forget the picture controls BTW. View NX is baking that in too.

I found that no matter what I could never get as sharp a result even in Capture NX2 afterwards if I fed RAW straight into Photomatix. Hmm I shot some D7000 bracketed bursts the other day. Maybe I'll go process one now.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 05:35 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Here's my first HDR effort with the D7000 and the original "middle" exposure shown first. I tend to monkey around with colour temperature when I'm doing HDR - in this case I liked blue for this pre-dawn capture

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 09-Jan-11 07:50 AM
#10. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Steve,
Is Blue for burrrrr. I hate cold, especially snow.
I like the upper (original?) one best.

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 04:13 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 HDR RAW TIP"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson AZ, US

Actually, Photomatix explicitly recommends against inputting raw files directly. They advise using a raw converter on your raw files and sending tiff or jpeg to Photomatix. Read their FAQ "Do I need to process bracketed RAW files to TIFF format first?"

http://www.hdrsoft.com/support/faq_photomatix.html#process_raw

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4417 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.