Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4380
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cannot get battery out of camera" Previous topic | Next topic
MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 08:48 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cannot get battery out of camera"

US

I am sitting here just thinking, you have got to be kidding me...

I bought the D7000 a few days ago, used it every day and now need to recharge the battery and I cannot get the battery out of the camera. This has to be a joke. I've been sitting here for eternity, just pressing the little orange release tab and it does not come out. I've turned it upside-down, while pressing the release, shaken it, it will not come out. Anyone else have this problem?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cannot get battery out of camera
billD80 Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
Murseeker
06th Jan 2011
jckingca Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
rasworth
06th Jan 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
vladman
07th Jan 2011
jckingca Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
Tony_Jeffree
07th Jan 2011
MrsG
07th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
rasworth
07th Jan 2011
               Reply message Battery falls out of camera
HayMower Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
                    Reply message RE: Battery falls out of camera
HayMower Silver Member
10th Jan 2011
me_two Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
rasworth
11th Jan 2011
HayMower Silver Member
11th Jan 2011
Pep11
26th Jan 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 08:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Anyone
>else have this problem?

Not me, though I think with the recessed terminals the battery fis more snugly than on my D200.

I would try two things... Make sure you've got the orange tab fully retracted and use needle-nose pliers to CAREFULLY FIND A GRIP POINT AND GENTLY PULL the battery out, or retract the tab and with the battery compartment facing down, impact the back of your hand that's holding the camera with your other hand (or a knee if you're sitting). Just be ready for the battery just dropping out.

When you get the battery out, I would check the terminal area, or anywhere else where some excess plastic wasn't trimmed properly.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 09:09 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 1

Breitenbach, CH

...or check the spring in the battery containment.

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 09:48 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I have two batteries and one of them behaves the way you describe. What I do is hold the orange tab back out of the way and then push down and release on the battery on the side closest to the front of the camera. It pops out with that little assistance. Not perfect, but the other battery is fine.

Hope this works for you

John

rasworth Basic MemberThu 06-Jan-11 11:27 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Mine is similar - I found that gently pushing it forward after tripping the release causes it to spring out. I don't have to hold the orange release, it seems to stay latched open as long as I don't press the battery back in, but rather just bias it toward the front of the camera using the flat of my finger.

Richard Southworth

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 11:36 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 07-Jan-11 08:29 AM by briantilley

Ocean Grove, AU

Had not expected this to be an issue, hopefully easily solved!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Fri 07-Jan-11 09:26 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

>I am sitting here just thinking, you have got to be kidding
>me...
>
>I bought the D7000 a few days ago, used it every day and now
>need to recharge the battery and I cannot get the battery out
>of the camera. This has to be a joke. I've been sitting here
>for eternity, just pressing the little orange release tab and
>it does not come out. I've turned it upside-down, while
>pressing the release, shaken it, it will not come out. Anyone
>else have this problem?

I actually meant to post about this. I have exactly the same problem. I'm on my second camera, and the first one didn't have this issue. Don't know if it's the camera or the battery though, as one of the previous posters said they only have this issue with one of their batteries, but not with the other, and I only have one battery.

I found similar trick to one described by others works for me, very gently push the battery "away" (but not in, as that'll cause the orange clip to spring back to hold the battery in place) from the orange clip, and it seems to pop out. I've had a good look, but can't see anything that's causing this.

Annoying, for sure. Seems like another example that confirms that Nikon had indeed rushed these out, and quality control has suffered as a result.

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Fri 07-Jan-11 10:53 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 07-Jan-11 10:54 AM by jckingca

CA

>I found similar trick to one described by others works for me,
>very gently push the battery "away" (but not in, as
>that'll cause the orange clip to spring back to hold the
>battery in place) from the orange clip, and it seems to pop
>out.

This method works fine for me too.

I can't see any difference between the two batteries I have. One releases easily and the other needs help to release. I do notice that the clear battery cap is tighter on one battery than the other.

I don't think the body is to blame on this. This is my second body and the problem battery was a problem in both bodies. I kept my original battery during the exchange because honestly the issue doesn't bother me.

John

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Fri 07-Jan-11 09:31 AM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

Have you tried attaching sticky tape to the end of the battery to give you something to pull at?

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Fri 07-Jan-11 02:04 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you all! I tried to release it for a while yesterday, then was so frustrated I put the camera down for several hours and came back later and tried again and it came out. Wow, I hope that doesn't happen every time, how annoying! I'll keep those other ideas in mind for next time

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 07-Jan-11 02:33 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Mine sticks occasionally.
I just push it in and it always releases after that.
My guess is that the spring is weak

rasworth Basic MemberFri 07-Jan-11 04:47 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Cannot get battery out of camera"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 07-Jan-11 04:48 PM by rasworth

Austin, US

I believe it's a minor design flaw, and perhaps a stronger spring would do the trick.

The battery contacts are toward the rear of the camera, and when it's inserted they mate with five horizontal pins in the battery cavity. Snapping in the battery so that the plastic catch engages ensures the battery is in far enough to properly engage the contacts and constrained so that it can't back off.

Holding the camera with the battery cavity pointed down (gravity assist) and releasing the catch is supposed to allow the battery to fall out; however, it appears there is slightly too much friction in the contact assembly. A slight nudge at the front of the battery pulls it off of the contacts enough so that force from the spring is now sufficient for ejection. And actually I found for my unit I did not need to use gravity, the battery would eject upward (holding the camera upside down) once it had been rocked slightly.

I examined the assembly carefully and did not see anything other than the contacts that would impede the battery ejection. I guess I would just as soon have a very "firm" interface between battery and camera, hopefully avoidng any intermittent problems, and have to nudge the battery to eject. Perhaps there was some concern about having too stiff a spring, Nikon probably didn't want the battery to fly out of the cavity, but IMO they missed slightly.

Richard Southworth

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 07-Jan-11 07:12 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Battery falls out of camera"
In response to Reply # 11

US

When I pull the orange tab back, the battery on my D7000 practically jumps out! If the camera is upside down, it pops up about 5/16" - and falls out when I turn the camera upright.

Do I have a defective camera? (Just kidding).

I have a backup battery on order - maybe it will be a tighter fit.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Mon 10-Jan-11 11:57 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Battery falls out of camera"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I received a second battery today and it has to be jiggled to get it out - similar to several other posters. I don't see any difference in the batteries.

2 batteries - 1 jumps out = 1 needs jiggle - go figure.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400

me_two Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2004Tue 11-Jan-11 02:55 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Battery falls out of camera"
In response to Reply # 13

Brisbane, AU

I have 3 batteries and none of them stick.They all just pop out.

Mark

rasworth Basic MemberTue 11-Jan-11 01:23 PM
#15. "RE: Battery falls out of camera"

Austin, US

As I pointed out in my earlier post it all depends upon how tightly the contact assembly on the battery mates with the pins in the camera. I too purchased a second battery, it works about the same as the first, requires a gentle nudge to pop out.

There are a lot of factors as to how tightly the contacts grip - number of insertions (my first battery pops out more easily now than when first received), manufacturing tolerances, etc. I'm sure some contact lubricant, such as DeOxit Gold, would probably free them up completely, however I have no issue with a slight sticking as long as I understand why.

Richard Southworth

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 11-Jan-11 03:55 PM
#16. "RE: Battery falls out of camera"

US

>2 batteries - 1 jumps out = 1 needs jiggle - go figure.
>
>
>Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

After being charged up overnight, the new battery now jumps out - just like the one that came with the camera. What a deal.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400

Pep11 Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 26-Jan-11 01:21 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Battery falls out of camera"
In response to Reply # 16

PR

Check page 282 of the Nikon D7000 user's Manual and there is something that might help you remove the battery that is stuck in the battery chamber. There is a small cover at the bottom side of the battery chamber that is used to pass the ac cable cord of the power connector (to enable the camera work connected to an ac outlet instead of using batteries)that can be used to insert the tip of a pencil or something with a fine point to pull up the battery.

Recently I received my D7000 and so far the battery pops up when the latch is pressed.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4380 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.