Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4372
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best Way to Dry Off Camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 06:48 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"

US

If I take some photos outside while snowing, I'm assuming it will get some snow/water on it. Any special way I should dry it off or prevent any problem from this? I was thinking of taking a towel with me and drying it off every few minutes while I shoot. Then letting it just sit after I come back inside in order to let it acclimate from major cold to warm again.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?
MEMcD Moderator
06th Jan 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Jan 2011
Murseeker
06th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
20th Jan 2011
Zevi Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
Zevi Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
MrsG
20th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
20th Jan 2011
Zevi Silver Member
20th Jan 2011
jadiniz
21st Jan 2011
Zevi Silver Member
21st Jan 2011
blw Moderator
22nd Jan 2011
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jan 2011
WJMcIntosh
22nd Jan 2011
kentak Silver Member
22nd Jan 2011
newton124
22nd Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Jan 2011
kentak Silver Member
23rd Jan 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 07:24 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ella,

The best thing to do is to keep the camera dry by putting the camera in a clear plastic bag with a rubber band wrapped around the lens hood or using a rain cover. Rain covers cost between a few dollars for a disposable one to about $200.00 for the best available.

If the body or lens get wet, use the towel to wick the water up. Don't wipe it off because the water will sheet and find it's way into small gaps like between the zoom ring and the lens barrel.

When going from cold to warm, make sure the gear is in a camera bag or Zip-Loc bag to prevent water from condensing in and on the camera.
Wait until the camera is close to room temperature before taking it out of the bag.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 06-Jan-11 08:23 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jan-11 08:24 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Moose Peterson recommends using a clean lint free towel to blot the water drops. Blot, co not rub the camera. As rubbing will break the surface tension of the water droplets and the drops will run around.

After blotting the drops, you can field strip the camera (lens off, battery out, media card out, and access doors open) and lens in a large plastic bag with a desiccant of some kind to absorb any excess moisture.

Most cameras have some weather sealing.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 08:40 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

Good point. I already wondered how durable the D7k would be compared to my old D200. My old, reliable D200 had a very hard time in the past couple of years. Just wrapped it into a old T-Shirt I had it in a regular hiking backpack while being on several dozens of week long dirt track trips on my motorcycle. I also used it in rain, mud and dust to capture motocross races. Those who have been at such races know that it's completely different than a Formula 1 race where you sit on a grandstand. Motocross, that's very you 're VERY close to the action and sometimes you might get hit by mud or small stones. I also used it to get pictures from beach races where you in addition have the salty spray of the sea. I never used any protection gear, except for a shopping center plastic bag if the weather was to bad. When the body or the lens became wet I just used the lousy old T-Shirt to remove the water drops. So far I had no issues at all (with the D200) and my hope is that it would be the same with the D7k.

Andy

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 20-Jan-11 10:14 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

As the others have suggested, a few snow flakes are nothing to worry about.

As the amount of water or snow increases, protection from the elements becomes more important. It's probably your lens - especially a zoom lens that is the concern since the camera is pretty well sealed. I have a Storm Jacket clipped to my camera pack and use it in wet weather. The package is about 4x3x1 and weighs an ounce.
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Jacket-Camera-Medium-Measuring/dp/B000EY65UG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295521739&sr=1-1

Blotting is clearly the best way to remove moisture. Wiping water or melted snow can add to the problems. I've recently picked up a small camping towel from REI and simply added it to my camera bag. It's small, light, and ultra-absorbant. The package is about 4x3x3/8 and weighs almost nothing.
http://www.rei.com/product/783479

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Thu 20-Jan-11 02:27 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ann Arbor, US

>picked up a small camping towel from REI and simply added it
>to my camera bag...

Eric,

Thanks for the pointer -- that towel looks great! It seems to be completely lint-free as it's made out of polyester and nylon.
I'm definitely going to add on of those to my bag!

Cheers,
Zevi

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 11:12 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

Take a look at the "Sensor Dust So Soon" thread in this forum. You'll see what can happen if you're not careful about humidity.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Thu 20-Jan-11 02:12 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

This is probably not directly applicable to your situation (at least I hope so...), but I can't help taking the opportunity to share my story:

Last summer we were on a vacation by a lake. I was standing in above-knee water, helping my son getting into the sailboat. My one-month-old Sony HD camcorder was secured (...) in a belt "holster"... Well, you can guess it: in the process of loading my son onto the boat -- the camcorder got unloaded into the water

By the time I realized what happened, reached down to find and retrieve it -- the camcorder was submersed for a total of well over 15 sec.

"Panicked and disheartened" would be an understatement to describe my feeling. First thing I did was to take out the battery. Then I opened everything that opened: screen, doors, etc. Swung it vigorously to blow most visible water off, and dashed into the cottage. I turned the oven to the lowest heat, and when it reached about 100-120F I turned the oven off. Put the camcorder inside, and "baked" it for about 10 hrs.

I'm happy to report that it's been functioning perfectly ever since.

I guess the moral of the story is that today's quality electronics can often withstand harsher conditions than advertised. I've heard quite a few such "I can't believe it still works" stories...

Cheers,
Zevi

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 20-Jan-11 02:16 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Zevi, that is awesome that it still works! What a great story!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 20-Jan-11 02:48 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Thanks Zevi

I had a similar gear story. I dumped my camera bag and had a 50mm f/1.4 roll across the rocks and into a stream. You know, the 50 f/1.4 floats for a few seconds - but ultimately sank. I fished it out and poured the water out of it. When I got home I put it in front of a heat vent for a few days (adjusting the mechanism once or twice a day) until it was completely dry and free of moisture.

I still have the lens and it works great. Ultimately I had it cleaned as focus was a little sticky - but as Zevi reported, the gear is remarkably resiliant if you eliminate power until fully dry.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Thu 20-Jan-11 04:00 PM
#10. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ann Arbor, US

>the gear is remarkably resiliant if you eliminate power until
>fully dry.

Yeah, and that's a tougher catch than one may realize!
The most trying part in my experience, was resisting the instinctive urge to turn on the device -- "Is it still working?"

Cheers,
Zevi

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 21-Jan-11 03:22 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

Estoril, PT

So true! A few years ago my wife dropped her cell phone in the toilet. Still not happy with it, she flushed!

It took about a week of drying, but it worked flawlessly for a couple years more.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Fri 21-Jan-11 03:57 PM
#12. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Ann Arbor, US

Actually, your cellphone story reminded me of something that I think is worth remembering in the unfortunate event of an unplanned "bathing" of an electronic device: Vacuum.

At my workplace, we often build custom circuits and electronic gizmos. After the soldering is done, the electricians clean and sometimes actually wash the circuits to remove residue. Then they put them in a vacuum chamber to suck all residual moisture, which is much better than blowing it off.

I think that if you have one of those food-saver devices, as long as you make sure that you leave a clear path so that the camera/electronic device does not get sealed inside -- it might be a better drying method then heat.

Cheers,
Zevi

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 22-Jan-11 06:29 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Richmond, US

On the other side of the coin, my daughter's phone had "a close encounter with a mop bucket." Dead phone. I had a phone that I had in my pocket when our house flooded. It was even in a plastic zip loc bag, although in fact I discovered later that it was only 98% zipped. Dead phone. Same daughter subsequently left a new phone on the railing of a porch. It rained that night - dead phone.

I am incredulous reading some of these stories. Granted that my experiences are now some years ago (the flood was in 1998) but...

On the other hand, my Nikons have pretty much all be out in a lot of severe weather and survived without problems. A Nikonian friend had a D300 go into the Merced River and survived it. (Note for those who aren't familiar with the Merced River: it's fed mostly by snow melt in the high mountains, so as American rivers go it's one of the most pristine. I wouldn't want to think about the Cuyahoga River (the one that caught fire) or one of the rivers I saw in China...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 11:55 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 22-Jan-11 12:11 PM by kentak

US

Excellent story. Quick action and taking the battery out immediately would seem to be key.

I've heard that it is sometimes a good idea to give a quick flush with distilled water if it is readily at hand in order to remove potentially corrosive minerals. I think luck plays a big part, as well. Using compressed air could also force moisture into tight spaces. You just never know, but, as you found out, you might as well try.

Let me respond to the cell phone posts by reporting that a cell phone will *not* survive a full wash and rinse cycle due to being left in pants pocket. It will, however, be very clean.

Brian,

I lived in Cleveland for a while a long time ago, so the Cuyahoga River comment made me LOL.

WJMcIntosh Registered since 22nd Jan 2011Sat 22-Jan-11 02:49 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 22-Jan-11 02:52 PM by WJMcIntosh

US

>"Panicked and disheartened" would be an
>understatement to describe my feeling. First thing I did was
>to take out the battery. Then I opened everything that opened:
>screen, doors, etc. Swung it vigorously to blow most visible
>water off, and dashed into the cottage. I turned the oven to
>the lowest heat, and when it reached about 100-120F I turned
>the oven off. Put the camcorder inside, and "baked"
>it for about 10 hrs.
>
>I'm happy to report that it's been functioning perfectly ever
>since.
>Cheers,
>Zevi

Great story! I wish I had thought of that several years ago when my then brand new Samsung video recorder got 5 drops of rain on it and went down for the count. Because I lost that camera to moisture, I've been paranoid about my D90, but after shooting several times in the rain (generally under an umbrella) I've gained confidence in the housing of both of these cameras. I'm hoping not to drop the D7000 in a lake, but I'm pretty sure it will take more than a few raindrops on it and come out OK.

I also had the misfortune of not thinking about what was happening to my BACKPACK while I was out shooting in the rain. My then cheap Case Logic bag was NOT waterproof and all of that water on my umbrella was coming down on my bag. For the entire morning.
When I got home, my lenses were soaked. I dried them off thoroughly, and was terrified that they would fog inside, but either they are sealed too well, or I got the water off before any damage was done. My current bag is much more water proof, but I generally don't carry the bag around with the umbrella anymore. : /

My Nikonians gallery

My Flickr page

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 12:02 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Jan-11 12:04 PM by kentak

US

Absorbent cloths like "ShamWow" really do suck up moisture and are lint free. They work best after being washed and dried a couple of times to loosen up the fibers.

Reiterating what has already been said about bringing cold gear back into a heated home--after blotting off as much surface moisture as possible, keep in a bag or such so that it can gradually warm up without undue condensation, but then take it out to "breathe" after it has reached ambient temperature.

newton124 Registered since 18th Nov 2009Sat 22-Jan-11 06:02 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Crazy, but it works.... Got my cell phone wet. Battery out, dry it off as much as possible & then dropped it directly into about 2 lbs of dry rice for a few days.

The rice acts as a desiccant without a chemical reaction.

Phone works fine. Don't know if I'd drop the camera in without its body cap, however.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 23-Jan-11 01:37 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 17
Sun 23-Jan-11 01:38 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

This is reasonably well known but I'll share it anyway: some of today's high tech gadgets contain moisture indicators that will alert service technicians to submersion of the device. The Apple iPhone is an example - the indicator is in the headphone jack opening. If it is red colored, the phone has suffered water damage. I have no idea if Nikon has anything of this kind in its cameras or lenses.

I am trying very much to baby my camera and lenses much less. They are tougher than we realize and the whole point of having them is to get out there and take photos!

Peter

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 23-Jan-11 02:26 PM
#19. "RE: Best Way to Dry Off Camera?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Good points, Peter. People take their Nikon gear out into less than perfect environments all the time. If they were overly susceptible to heat or cold or a few raindrops or snowflakes, we'd be hearing complaints all the time.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4372 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.