Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #435
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 Replacement" Previous topic | Next topic
docusn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2010Fri 24-Sep-10 05:25 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 Replacement"

Orange Park, US

As you can see from my posts numbers I am a noobie. I have had my D60 for more than a year and believe I have grown out of it (in part - I certainly don't know all there is about this body). Let me explain:

I take a lot of wildlife shots and find that I am severely hampered by the D60's upload-speed-to-the-card limitations, and the minimal focus options.

So, my question to the experts is: D7000 or D300S?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 Replacement
Covey22 Moderator
24th Sep 2010
docusn Silver Member
24th Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
26th Sep 2010
docusn Silver Member
27th Sep 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 24-Sep-10 05:48 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Have you considered moving to a faster set of cards? Sometimes the write limitation is bottlenecked by the card speed.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

docusn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2010Fri 24-Sep-10 06:21 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 1

Orange Park, US

They are Class 6 SD cards by SanDisk. So maybe the Class 10 might help. Methinks not enough tho'.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 26-Sep-10 05:28 PM
4209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

I'm inclined to suggest D7000 given some of the topics being discussed here in this forum - namely the image quality should be better and the focus may be near as good (or possibly better).

My own plan is to demote my D300 to second fiddle, with the D7000 taking the lead role in my wildlife shooting. We'll see how it goes but I don't expect to have a definitive answer until I've been shooting the two cameras side by side at least a month (approx end of November).

In my own wildlife shooting I very often find D300 ISO 800 critical in getting high enough shutter speeds. I am hoping D7000 allows me to step this up to 1600 enabling me to get better images at equal ISOs and higher ISOs when I need them. I will confess that I plan on getting a D400 too to replace my D300 but that could be a full year down the road.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 26-Sep-10 06:28 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>My own plan is to demote my D300 to second fiddle, with the
>D7000 taking the lead role in my wildlife shooting. We'll see
>how it goes but I don't expect to have a definitive answer
>until I've been shooting the two cameras side by side at least
>a month (approx end of November).

You mean second banana? Bananas take better pictures than fiddles, I hear. That sounds like a sound plan.

I was originally thinking of selling the D1x along with the brand new D90 I bought for the wedding (which is being sold now), and then buying a D7000. But I reconsidered, and decided I'm going to wait it out for a while and see how all you guys like your D7000s. I'll get one eventually, but I can get by with the D1x/H for the forseeable future, no problem. I've decided I'm keeping both of them, because they AF so fast with screw-drive lenses.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

docusn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2010Mon 27-Sep-10 01:47 PM
#5. "RE: D60 Replacement"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 27-Sep-10 01:48 PM by docusn

Orange Park, US

Thanks Steve!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #435 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.