Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner" Previous topic | Next topic
nawlinz Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 05-Jan-11 06:13 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"

US

Hi all!

I am the proud new owner of a D7000 body, but since I got it as a gift I am just now starting my research on lenses and flashes. What is a good lens to start with? 50mm, Zoom, Nikon or other brand? I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions as I know very little about this stuff. I want to spend as little as possible, but I don't want garbage either. I guess the best bang for the buck?

Thanks, KennyD

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner
MEMcD Moderator
05th Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
docimmer Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
nawlinz
05th Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
05th Jan 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
nawlinz
06th Jan 2011
ricphoto
06th Jan 2011
srosengard
06th Jan 2011
Sujoy61 Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
wingdo
09th Jan 2011
Kale49 Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
Sunway
06th Jan 2011
waxart
06th Jan 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
06th Jan 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
07th Jan 2011
kentak Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
jadiniz
08th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Jan 2011
yonghee
10th Jan 2011
JennyS
11th Jan 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 06:38 PM
25643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ken,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D7000.
"Best all-around Lens and flash" is a relative term.
All of the Nikkor kit lenses are very good for general photography. Even the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX ($109.95) is optically very good. The typical kit lens for the D7000 is the Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR ($349.95) which will provide more zoom range.
If you are considering primes, keep in mind that the D7000 is a DX body with a 1.5X crop factor compared to film or FX bodies. This means that a 35mm lens will have the same Field Of View (FOV) on the D7000 as a 50mm lens would have on a film body. That said both the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX ($199.95) or the AF 50mm f/1.8D ($135.95) are excellent optically and the best values in the Nikkor line.

The D7000 has a Speedlight built into the camera body.
The Nikon SB-400 ($119.95) is only slightly more powerful than the built in Speedlight.
The Nikon SB-600 ($249.95) is an excellent Speedlight with significantly more power and range than the built in Speedlight and since it is taller it reduces the chance of red-eye without having to use red-eye reduction mode. Keep in mind that the SB-600 has been discontinued abd replaced by the SB-700 ($325.95) so the supply is limited.

Tell us more about what you want to shoot and the ambient conditions you will be shooting in and we can help you narrow down the choices.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 07:15 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

My favorite lens is my Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, which can be had for not much money at all (less than $500 and closer to $400), because it was replaced by a version with vibration control.

I love my SB600 and find it to be much more powerful than anything I need. You can still find them at Best Buy for $220, which is a great deal.

The D7K doesn't need a whole lot of the latest and greatest hardware in my view because it supports such a high ISO with very little noise. That means you can still work with a slow lens or a weak flash (I hear the SB400 is a nice flash, too, for this very reason). Having said that, you'll get some spectacular results from top shelf lens, although I get my best results from my $199 Nikon 35mm F1.8 prime.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 08:04 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>My favorite lens is my Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

I would second the original non-VC Tamron 17-50mm. I have the non-Built-in-motor version, and it's very sharp. It's VERY, very sharp, and the D7000 really shows this up well.

OR, you could just get the Nikon 50mm 1.8. Classic lens with excellent results, and comparatively cheap!

The SB-600 is a keeper too, but so is the less expensive SB-400.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Wed 05-Jan-11 08:12 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 3

Eau Claire, US

I've been very happy with my Nikon 18-135 zoom, and SB-800 and SB-900.

Steve

nawlinz Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 05-Jan-11 08:18 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the info! That's funny! I didn't even know there was a flash built-in! Also didn't know that a 35mm would have the same result as a 50mm would on a film camera! I got some reading to do!

I am mostly going to do family and landscapes...

KennyD

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 05-Jan-11 09:10 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Ken!

May I suggest that you check out the following Forums for information about choosing and using lenses and Speedlights...

Nikkor AF Lenses
3rd Party Lenses
Speedlights & Lighting.

Enjoy your D7000

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 08:50 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 05-Jan-11 08:52 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

A lot depends on your budget.
I agree with Marty that all the kit lenses focus well and are sharp.
If I only had one lens it would be the 18-200 vrii.
I love the versatility and am quite happy with the image quality.

see my post
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=310&topic_id=3959

The pop up flash does quite well.

I have a vivitar 383 external flash and find that the flash works much better on this camera than my D5000.

Although personally I would not invest in a flash until you experiment with pop up flash and determine what your needs are.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 12:46 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 6

Ellington, US

I use Lightroom 3 for my post processing, and there is a panel for adding lens adjustment logic when converting the raw image. Does this mean that using "lesser quality" glass will become a bit less important because aberrations and anomalies can be address in post processing? Sure, the slower glass will tax you if it's shutter speed you need, but assuming you have more than enough light at hand, then are we free now to leave the F2.8 glass in the bag and simply rely on the 18-500mm F10.5 do it all zoom (OK, so it's a little slow )?

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

nawlinz Registered since 05th Jan 2011Thu 06-Jan-11 01:01 AM
#9. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Well then let me ask this question...

Is it better to get a 50mm 1.8 if that suits my shooting, or will I sacrifice picture quality by going with a zoom with a much higher f-stop?

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 02:32 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 9

Seattle, US

Glass will be your most important and long lasting investment...good glass will last through many many bodies...don't skimp here.

yes...a 50/1.8 will be better in it's range than any of the variable f-stop "kit" lenses and may be a great place to start and see how the camera suits you and what you gravitate to shooting...

if you find yourself hampered by the fixed focal length then start saving for a decent zoom...no amount of LR post can "fix" a porrly resolving cheap lens.

start slow with the one lens and see where you go...read the reviews...check shots you like and see what they were shot with...when you're ready to buy you should be much better prepared to make that decision.

enjoy the gift...and have fun

...Ric

srosengard Basic MemberThu 06-Jan-11 03:39 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Personally I use the 18-200 VR. I find it to be a great lens. It is more expense, but you cant go wrong with a Nikor Lens.
GOOD LUCK and Congrats

Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Thu 06-Jan-11 09:32 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 11

Calcutta, IN

Why not consider the 16-85VR?

www.sujoydas.com
Photographs from the Himalaya
www.sujoyrdas.blogspot.com
My Blog
www.facebook.com/sujoyrdas
Facebook

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Sun 09-Jan-11 04:44 AM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

The 16-85VR is an excellent every day use lens. That extra 2mm on the wide end is a big difference.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 06-Jan-11 01:38 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 11

Espoo, FI

As an all-rounder I use Nikon 18-200 VR. I started to learn it with my late D80 and now it is a "daily favorite". It´s specially nice tool when travelling or palying with grandchildren. I must also say that Nikon 50/1,8 is absolutely great! It is sharp and light and "cheap". I think it is a must to all nikonists.

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

Sunway Registered since 28th Jan 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 11:24 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Ricphoto wrote:
>Glass will be your most important and long lasting investment...good glass will last through many many bodies...don't skimp here.

>yes...a 50/1.8 will be better in it's range than any of the variable f-stop "kit" lenses and may be a great place to start and see how the camera suits you and what you gravitate to shooting...

>if you find yourself hampered by the fixed focal length then start saving for a decent zoom...no amount of LR post can "fix" a porrly resolving cheap lens.

>start slow with the one lens and see where you go...read the reviews...check shots you like and see what they were shot with...when you're ready to buy you should be much better prepared to make that decision.

I'd add to the above,
all around lens:
Nikkor 18-105 kit lens is very good and an excellent value with quality in mind.

More expensive Nikkor 16-85 is superior in a few areas but optically it’s not very noticeable step up (compliment to the 18-105) though simpler distortion is a plus. The lens goes wider which may be often more significant than going longer as enables you to gain truly wide angle – of very decent quality btw.

Another kind of option is the faster new Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 HSM DC EX OS of high optical quality – and would be my option when choosing a lens of these characteristic. I consider the lens better than previously mentioned 16-85 in sharpness and bokeh (out of focus area rendering).
Much depends on your priorities. If the versatility is even stronger factor, the Nikkor 18-200 is rather exceptional lens for its range.

And theoretically, if the quality is the ultimate factor and one extends his budget, you will look at FX (35mm format) lenses where you can get another step up benefiting from their excellent properties combined with use of sweet spot area on the DX (your format).

Primes.. that is another story and there are no simple rules (many are worse than some of Nikon’s excellent zoom lenses, other cases being toss up and another with prime winning). There are less versatile tools with mostly greater character (of whole rendering style) and of specialized capabilities as a result of their large aperture effects thus may be also more demanding using them for the optimal results they offer. Primes of new design are almost always top performers – and often used from FX camp. DX primes are excellent value, very compact and often welcome addition to any zoom lens(es) set.

Best,

Hynek

www.sunwaysite.com

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 06-Jan-11 03:00 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 06-Jan-11 03:01 PM by waxart

Vallejo, US

I too love my 50mm 1.8 Nikon. I always carry it even when it's not on the camera. Results are always sharp, so great for people shots as long as you back off a bit. The 18-105mm kit lens has astonished me in its sharpness and accuracy (and lack of chromatic aberration) for such an inexpensive piece of glass. As for speedlights, I have an SB600 and an SB800. Unless I'm shooting on location with the speedlight off camera, I find the SB600 an excellent all-purpose flash and a fine Commander for the Creative Lighting System.

When you say that the pop-up flash is a speedlight, does this mean simply that it will act as a Commander for the CLS? I used the pop-up on my D80 for that, too.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 03:22 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 15
Thu 06-Jan-11 03:39 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

Only 2 lenses come to mind for the beginner, the 18-200VR or VRII and the 35mm f1.8.

The 35 is great for carrying around light and is lovely and fast and cheap, the 18-200 for most everything else

I started with a D80 with the 18-200, have now migrated thru the D90 and now the D7000 and that lens is wonderful.

Also if your not sure and want to experiment I have rented lenses from www.rentglass.com (no affiliation) they allow you to find the ones you like without putting out the big buck.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 07-Jan-11 12:38 PM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 15

Port Charlotte, US

@waxart

>When you say that the pop-up flash is a speedlight, does this
>mean simply that it will act as a Commander for the CLS? I
>used the pop-up on my D80 for that, too.

Yes, the D7000 has CLS Commander capability. I use it when I wirelessly remote my SB600.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 01:43 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Jan-11 01:53 PM by kentak

US

Even though you have the built-in flash, your lighting possibilities expand greatly with the addition of a Nikon Speedlight. As you will learn, they are able to communicate wirelessly with the camera and with a great deal of exposure flexibility to deal with a variety of situations.

For value, the SB 600 is hard to beat. The new SB 700 is just hitting outlets now, and I just got one last week. It's pricier than the SB 600 but has more capability and, IMO, more user friendly controls than the 600.

Everything that has been said about the importance of good glass is true. It sounds that you are in a position where you would like the most usability while you learn--and with the possibility of expanding to more special purpose glass in the future.

It's hard to beat a moderately priced zoom for walk-around versatility. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lenses already mentioned, but I'll put in a vote for the 18-105 VR "kit" lens. The cost is kept down by the fact it's not a "fast" lens, but you're putting it on a camera that has good high ISO performance.

For a "next" lens, consider the excellent f/1.8 35 mm for a fast normal lens (equivalent to a 50 mm on a 35 mm film camera).

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 08-Jan-11 02:49 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 18

Estoril, PT

Here's another D7000 user with the 18-105 VR + 35 1.8 that deservedly gets such high praise. An SB-700 is coming next

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 08-Jan-11 03:28 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 08-Jan-11 03:34 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I've always sworn by the 18-200 as the best DX multipurpose lens
and if I could only carry one, it would be an AF-S Nikkor 18-200.

However, my current D7000 bag contains a 35 f/1.8, 10-24, 18-200, and 28-300.

If I could only carry two, they would be the 10-24 and 28-300.

All the zooms work for Video, but the prime 35 f/1.8 is best for my use, especially for low light.

I can also use lens from my Pro bags.
Including: 14-24, 17-35, 28-70, 70-200, 80-400, 50f/1.8, 85f/1.4...

If you do go for the kit lens, there is a fire sale on used/new ones due to so many buyers rejecting them including myself.
The lens is good, but all my others are better.

Also, Nikon is continuing their rebate on lens bought with new camera.
I went back a month latter and added 3 of the above lens to my D7000 bag.

So far the in-camera flash has been adequate.
I have not tried my SB-28 or 800 yet.

yonghee Registered since 10th Jan 2011Mon 10-Jan-11 08:10 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 0

SG

For lenses, I had some good advice when I was starting out with a D70 some years back:

1. Start with a standard zoom like the 18-105mm or the 16-85mm.
2. After shooting for a couple of months, review your photographs.
- What focal length do you take most often?
- Which photos did you wish you had better control for field of depth?

From this you, you should be able to find out which focal length you shoot most often and invest in a good pro-quality glass in that range.

Works for me

YH

JennyS Registered since 11th Jan 2011Tue 11-Jan-11 08:22 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Best all-around Lens and flash? New Owner"
In response to Reply # 22
Tue 11-Jan-11 08:24 PM by JennyS

Waterloo, CA

Hi,

New to Nikonians and new owner of the D7000!

I traded the 18-105 (that came in the kit) for a 18-200. I felt that this lens is more versatile for what I need it for right now. Once I am familier with the camera, confident in my picture taking and figure out what I like to shoot most, I will try a new lens. But for now, I am very happy with the 18-200.

Enjoy!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4320 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.