Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4309
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 bracketing question" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 05-Jan-11 03:22 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 bracketing question"

US

I currently own a D200 and it has served me well the since 2006. I've been looking at the D7000 for a while now and everything was looking great, that is until I read that it can only bracket 3 shots with a max of only one stop.
Did I read this correctly? I hope not, as I use exposure bracketing all the time with my D200 which as we all know will bracket up to 9 stops.
If it could at least bracket 3 shots, 2 stops apart, I might be able to live with it, but only 3 shots with a max of only one stop is a show stopper for me. How could Nikon limit such a promising camera to only 3 shots in bracketing mode? Haven't they heard of HDR?
Is it possible that a future firmware upgrade might fix this unbelievable omission?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 03:40 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 bracketing question"
In response to Reply # 0

Cave Creek, US

You are correct that the D7K only brackets 3 shots, however the max is actually 2 stops. So that might work for you.

This is one of the limitations of the D7K which otherwise I find to be an excellent performer. I do shoot some HDR and have to resort to manual exposure bracketing if I want 5,7 or 9 shots - which can be a problem in limiting movement in the scene.

I do not know about the ability of a firmware update to change this - it would certainly be welcome ... as would some other "fixes"!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Mr Moose Registered since 05th Jan 2011Wed 05-Jan-11 04:13 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 bracketing question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply. Its good to hear that it will do two stops, I guess I was misinformed. I do a lot of stitching and I usually incorporate HDR as well, so yes, 3 shots two stops apart would work.

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Thu 06-Jan-11 06:54 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 bracketing question"
In response to Reply # 3

Cave Creek, US

Actually it does indeed bracket 2 stops in a 3 shot sequence. ie: -2.0 EV, 0, +2 EV.... oops I see Wingdo your last comment just got deleted. You'll love your D7K!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4309 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.