Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4261
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror up vs exposure delay mode" Previous topic | Next topic
JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 08:14 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"

New HArtford, US

I have moved up to the D7000 from the D5000 which only had exposure delay mode. I often use this on a tripod. Is exposure delay the same thing as mirror up mode with a 1 sec delay or am I missing something?
When do you use one as opposed to another?
Thanks.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode
briantilley Moderator
04th Jan 2011
Sunway
04th Jan 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
Sunway
05th Jan 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
05th Jan 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 04-Jan-11 09:19 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

With Mirror up Mode, the user has the choice of when to release the shutter. Your first press of the shutter-release button raises the mirror, then a second press fires the shutter. Being in control of the timing can be important for some applications.

The other difference (on the D7000 at least) is that Exposure Delay Mode is activated via the menus; Mirror up Mode is faster to select and de-select via the Release Mode Dial.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Sunway Registered since 28th Jan 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 10:14 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

>With Mirror up Mode, the user has the choice of when to release the shutter. Your first press of the shutter-release button raises the mirror, then a second press fires the shutter. Being in control of the timing can be >important for some applications.

>The other difference (on the D7000 at least) is that Exposure Delay Mode is activated via the menus; Mirror up Mode is faster to select and >de-select via the Release Mode Dial.

I’d add that Exposure delay is kind of automatic MLU (full control even w/ IR tiny cheap ml-l3 remote control) without the full control letting you just trigger its automatic course which includes about 1 sec interval.
Using Ex delay without remote (e.g. emergency) can be very handy as it prevents both shake from touching the shutter and flipping the mirror on a tripod (quick access via My menu). But with lens of FL greater than 60, 70mm the micro vibration may pass the short interval and influence total stillness. Shorter FL are safe.
As pointed above the full MLU is the full &convenient way of control with remote release.

Best,

Hynek

www.sunwaysite.com

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 11:03 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

>I’d add that Exposure delay is kind of automatic MLU (full
>control even w/ IR tiny cheap ml-l3 remote control) without
>the full control letting you just trigger its automatic course
>which includes about 1 sec interval.

What does MLU stand for?

Since I got use to Ex delay it is on my first page of my menu. I like to use it when I am doing a group portrait and I want to be included. I press the IR remote and have about 1 sec to hid it so its not in the picture.

>Using Ex delay without remote (e.g. emergency) can be very
>handy as it prevents both shake from touching the shutter and
>flipping the mirror on a tripod (quick access via My menu).
>But with lens of FL greater than 60, 70mm the micro vibration
>may pass the short interval and influence total stillness.
>Shorter FL are safe.
>As pointed above the full MLU is the full &convenient way
>of control with remote release.

Are you saying that 1 sec is not long enough for micro motion?
>
Thanks in advance.

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Sunway Registered since 28th Jan 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 09:31 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 05-Jan-11 09:37 AM by Sunway

London, GB

>Are you saying that 1 sec is not long enough for micro motion?

If you press the shutter manually with lens of focal length greater than 60 – 70 mm (or set the zoom lens to it) it doesn’t have to be enough. Depends on how solid the attachment with a tripod is (how large the plate/shoe, what type of surface, whether collar mount) and on tripod itself, the way you press the shutter (very careful or less so) and on physical length of the lens body too. Physically short lenses (zooms) at FL of wa or uwa (ultra wide angle) are solid like a stone on almost any tripod (extremely light travel ones) and Ex. delay can be used without any release resulting in perfectly still capture. Further from these conditions and you can have micro vibration of visible effect present. Above 60 mm one is to be careful (tripod, connection, extra gentle on shutter) the further in FL the more difficult it is, at some point impossible. I am getting it alright with 85mm on my lightest tripod but have to be extra careful and not being exactly comfortable.
Using remote release prevents that – I regularly use IR remote.

MLU is just the mirror up mode – mirror lock up - this function I prefer above all.

>Since I got use to Ex delay it is on my first page of my menu. I like to use it when I am doing a group portrait and I want to be included. I press the IR remote and have about 1 sec to hid it so its not in the picture.

You can add the timer to the Ex. delay to get more time to hide it &smile while keeping mirror flip at bay (although we have typically higher sh. speeds here which makes Ex.D less important).

Best,

Hynek

www.sunwaysite.com

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 04:17 PM
#5. "RE: Mirror up vs exposure delay mode"
In response to Reply # 4

New HArtford, US

Thank you Hynek.
It sounds like you don't mess around with micro vibrations.
At some point I will upgrade my tripod and sharpen up some of my work.
Thanks again.
MLU... I should have figured that out.

JohnE Nikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4261 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.