Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4137
View in linear mode

Subject: "Update D7000 firmware now or later?" Previous topic | Next topic
digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 01:23 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
Sun 02-Jan-11 07:44 PM by digitalandfilm

US

My Camera has version 1.0, and I see 1.01 is available.

Should I download now or wait until many bugs are ironed out?

"All intervening steps.. scribbles, sketches, drawings, failed work, models, studies, thoughts, conversations.. are of interest"

My website: http://www.digitalandfilm.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
b1234s
02nd Jan 2011
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
BillboTex
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
digitalandfilm
02nd Jan 2011
snapsh0t
02nd Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
pwarbeck Silver Member
14th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011
digitalandfilm
03rd Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Jan 2011
MrsG
03rd Jan 2011
b1234s
04th Jan 2011
holdenchicago Silver Member
05th Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Jan 2011
digitalandfilm
14th Feb 2011

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 02-Jan-11 03:04 AM
3706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Nikon is not known for releasing buggy firmware. Unless I needed any of the listed fixes, I might wait a month to see what shakes out, but I have always updated my cameras.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 04:07 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 1

Winter Garden, US

From the instructions it indicates that you must have a PC with a card reader or a card reader unit in order to upgrade the firmware as you must copy the firmware to your SD memory card.

Is this the only method to upgrade? I assume there is no way to upgrade by connecting the camera to your computer.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 02-Jan-11 04:32 AM
3706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

Putting the firmware on the card is the only method.

The most common mistake is putting the file into a subdirectory when it needs to be at the root directory of the card.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 02-Jan-11 11:56 AM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I tend to give it a week or two unless there is an issue being address that has been problematic for me.

At this point I don't think I have seen any problems with D7000 v1.1 firmware, so it should be safe to move ahead.

Follow the steps explicitly. Be sur eyou have a fresh battery. Update A first then update B separately - essentially repeating the steps. They cannot be copied to hte card and updated at the same time.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 12:13 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>Update A first then update B separately - essentially repeating
>the steps. They cannot be copied to the card and updated at the
>same time.

Yes, that was always one of the things that caught people out, but according to the procedure at Nikon's website they have improved things this time - there is a single file containing both A and B firmware

By the way, Bob - to avoid any confusion, the new firmware is version A:1.01; B:1.01 not 1.1.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 12:23 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

Hello Brian,

I recently updated and the view on the camera firmware shows A and B are 1.00 and L is 1.002. Is this correct or has there been another update?

Thanks and have a good day.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 12:33 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>I recently updated and the view on the camera firmware shows A
>and B are 1.00 and L is 1.002.

As far as I know, those are the original firmware levels for the camera. It looks like your update attempt did not work correctly.

You've probably seen them already, but Nikon's instructions are here. As Eric says, make sure you follow them EXACTLY.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 03:32 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

Thanks Brian, you are a great resource here! I understand that EXACTLY means exactly.......but am I correct in worrying that the NIKON update instructions work best with a brand new SD card? Because otherwise the SECOND format instruction (#8), will eliminate any photo/video files that might be on the card?

I will be a beginner next week when my D7k gets here (so I guess that I am a pre-beginner right now)? So let me know if I am being too anal.

Thanks,

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 04:06 PM
#9. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Thank you, Bill

I always use an empty card for software updates, and format it - in the camera - before beginning the update process.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 02-Jan-11 04:16 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

I updated and only notice a slight improvement in Video quality.
Nothing else seems to have changed.

I evidently had a hot pixel that finally showed up in a firelight video.
Not really a problem as it looked like a firefly or ferry.
Apparently gone now.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 07:42 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks for all the good info.. I wasn't aware that "A" and "B" were updated seperately, I only have one 32gb card in slot 1.

What's ironic is that I rarely use video and this seems to be for a video problem. However- I like to keep things current.

"All intervening steps.. scribbles, sketches, drawings, failed work, models, studies, thoughts, conversations.. are of interest"

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Sun 02-Jan-11 09:52 PM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

They used to be updated separately but not for the D7000 - one update is all that's needed.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 02-Jan-11 10:07 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

Yup, this is an advanced camera.
only one file was added to the root of my in-camera formatted card:

D700_0101.bin

After putting the card into slot one, turning on the camera, and using the menu to bring up Firmware version, the option to upgrade became visable.

It now reads:
A 1.01
B 1.01
L 1.002

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Mon 14-Feb-11 04:35 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 10

Tucson AZ, US

After updating, I saw a tremendous improvement in Live View. I use Live View for focusing in macro work. Before the update Live View was so noisy as to be virtually useless.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 11:11 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 7

Joanna, US

Brian,

Thanks for your help and information; I followed the instructions and have successfully updated.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 03-Jan-11 12:17 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Jan-11 12:17 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>My Camera has version 1.0, and I see 1.01 is available.
>Should I download now or wait until many bugs are ironed out?

To answer your question: download now. Nikon is unlikely to release a buggy bug fix and unlikely to release another fix in the short term, if at all.

Cheers,
Peter

digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Mon 03-Jan-11 06:17 PM
#17. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Did the upgrade this morning.

Works best if you remove the card from the camera and then copy the *.bin file directly to the card.

I first tried to copy the file while hooked up via the USB cable and cutting and pasting the file from the folder to the card while in the camera- gave me a copy error (Win7) so I just used the card slot in my daughters laptop, copied the file over to the root of the card, then placed the card into the camera. Went to the "firmware" entry in the menu of the camera- and choose "upgrade" and a minute or so later- it's done! Then formated the card and shot a test photo to verify camera operation. It's all good now!

Thanks again for all the help.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 03-Jan-11 02:23 PM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I shot an extensive amount of video last week in a darkened theatre and no more hot spots! This is my daughter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP3_Xwsj4yY&feature=feedu

Prior to the firmware update, these same conditions resulted in 2 noticeable hot spots present in all clips (and one time several more than my two usual hot spots as the scene wholly darkened).

I am a happy camper.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Mon 03-Jan-11 11:26 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I just bought a D7000. Is this something I have to do? I don't know anything about it.

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 01:01 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 18

Winter Garden, US

>I just bought a D7000. Is this something I have to do? I
>don't know anything about it.

Unless you are having a problem on the video side you probably don't have to update the firmware but here is the Nikon website address with information on the update:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17108

holdenchicago Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 10:03 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 16

Chicago, US

Steve, great video! Very impressed with the quality in low light. I am still looking for a D7000 body and can't wait to get one. Your daughter has a great voice as well! Thanks for sharing.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 20-Jan-11 03:32 AM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 20

Alberta, CA

Thanks Pat. I am having a lot of fun with video. Am a little time-constrained right now due to work, but I plan to do more and more experimenting and learning with video and sound. Thanks for the complement about my daughter, I'll tell her you said so!

Let us know when you get your D7K.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Mon 14-Feb-11 05:04 PM
#23. "RE: Update D7000 firmware now or later?"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Stumbled acoss this on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3W2nXh-t0

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4137 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.