Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4129
View in linear mode

Subject: "The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . ..." Previous topic | Next topic
agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 01-Jan-11 09:12 PM
3975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"

Toronto, CA

Here's a great new article lead by Thom Hogan about the D7000:

"Time Heals all Internet Complaints
Dec 28 (commentary)--Just for the heck of it I've been doing a little informal study of several Internet forums. According to my latest weekly statistics, the D7000 now overexposes 78% less than it did two months ago, back focuses 70% less, and hot pixels are down an amazing 85%.

Say what?

It happens with virtually every new product release. A huge rash of complaints come almost immediately upon those first users receiving their cameras. Everyone rushes out and does random tests without first fully understanding the product, and they post "my D7000 overexposes" or "I see hot pixels" when they encounter something they don't understand or didn't expect. Hidden within all these complaints sometimes is a real issue (the P5000's tendency to punt on focus and put up a Lens Initialization error in some situations, or the hot pixels in D7000 video, for instance, both of which we have "firmware fixes" for already)."

There's more, but you get the idea. The full article on Hogan's site can be found here with the December 28th date.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know alread...
jckingca Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
omarwiseman
01st Jan 2011
JPJ Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
kwb49 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
Sunway
02nd Jan 2011
output555 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
BillboTex
02nd Jan 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
kwb49 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 09:33 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I think the real story is that D7000 owners were able to do a hassle-free exchange if they had problems. Some problems were real. Good job Nikon.

omarwiseman Registered since 08th Oct 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 11:36 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Don't know if my hot pixels met the "professional view" of a hot pixel problem. After viewing my stills and video Nikon said to "send it (the camera) in for their examination". I sent it back via Amazon's return policy and the replacement has not exhibited any problems to date.

So my D7000 did get bette

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 02-Jan-11 12:52 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I saw this post on his web site. He could post this every time Nikon releases a camera. I bought a d90 amidst a storm of posts claiming is shoot inherently soft images and generally had poor image quality.

Unfortunately, the internet hysteria tends to mask the odd defective camera issue. People get defensive when people suggest that maybe they just need to get to know the camera better. Also, sometimes that is not the answer because their particular camera is in fact defective and this adds to the frustration.

Mostly it is internet hysteria.

Jason

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Sun 02-Jan-11 02:09 AM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 3

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

Amen.

Keith

Sunway Registered since 28th Jan 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 11:24 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Thom’s sort of concluding view holds much of the true and the irony is in place although there certainly were problems accompanying the release and perhaps a hair bit more than could be.
I mean DP forum environment especially.

As for Nikon UK they work right on case acknowledging slightest problem to be tackled as usual even though it may take some time.

Best,

Hynek

www.sunwaysite.com

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sun 02-Jan-11 01:09 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I would say the veracity of Mr. Hogan's non-scientific statistical analysis is about equal in proportion to the accuracy of the complaints about the D7000. Both have a margin of error + or - 100%.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 02:42 PM
28742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

Once you've read Thom's posts for a few years, as many of us here have, you'll realise that he has regularly been the "voice of reason" against web hysteria over supposed problems with new camera models.

His "statistical analysis" statement is clearly intended as a humourous attempt to make a very serious point - that many of the problem reports that follow a camera launch tend to be caused by user unfamiliarity, and that the volume of such reports reduces rapidly as people get used to the camera, leaving those few which actually may be faults.

His article works well, in my view

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 03:42 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

>Thom has been the...."voice of reason" against web hysteria over >supposed problems with new camera models.

Thanks again Brian, years ago I noticed similarly that my parents seemed to become much wiser as they grew older over the years!...hahaha

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 02-Jan-11 06:36 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 02-Jan-11 07:00 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

"I'm not sure why Nikon doesn't put this stuff in the manual." they don't need to Thom, they've got you for that!

Good and reputable as TH is, there is still such a thing as faulty cameras and always will be! Ignoring the "hysterical" users, then over time of course the genuine faulty cameras will reduce as QA improves following the initial high production batches. Nikon would be in trouble if they didn't. I'm a happy D7000 user now, the bad taste of my first faulty Nikon still remains though.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Sun 02-Jan-11 10:46 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 9

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

^ +1.
Keith

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 02-Jan-11 11:10 PM
28742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 9

Paignton, GB

>Good and reputable as TH is, there is still such a thing as
>faulty cameras and always will be!

Clearly, Thom does recognise that, as we can see from the text that Howard originally quoted: "...hidden within all these complaints sometimes is a real issue...". Thom certainly does not have his head in the sand, and has posted at length about several of Nikon's failings over the years.

It's a shame that your initial D7000 experience wasn't a positive one, but as you say - there will always be some faulty cameras.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 03-Jan-11 12:11 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The D7000 Gets Better (as if you didn't know already . . . )"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>caused by user unfamiliarity, and that the volume
>of such reports reduces rapidly as people get used to the
>camera, leaving those few which actually may be faults.

As an example, I notice some are viewing images at 100% and comparing what they see with 100% views of smaller pixel count sensors, such as that found in the D90. Many don't realize this is an apples and oranges comparison (because the magnification is different in between the two views). This is leading to nonsense conclusions such as the D7000 being softer or less forgiving to user error. One should zoom in to an amount necessary to meet the circle of confusion required for the end application (screen, print, other)!

Cheers,
Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4129 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.