Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4118
View in linear mode

Subject: "Non US D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sat 01-Jan-11 05:36 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Non US D7000"

Ellington, US

I knew there was something wrong here. My wife insisted on finding me a D7000, body only (I have more than enough lenses), by Christmas. We looked at all the big vendors and they had none. Then she found a link off of DPReview.com for a Brooklyn, NY firm called, "Best Price Electronics". I told her that I didn't feel good about this unheard of vendor, and that I was more than content to wait until we could buy a unit from Berger-Bros or Canoga Camera or Samy's or BH Photo or Adorama or...

My D7000 arrived a couple of days before Christmas. Hmmm, everything seems to be in order, I guess I was wrong to doubt that company. Last night I was reading Ken Rockwell.com and he warns that we make sure our camera's are US models. We can tell if the box says, "D7000 (US)". Hmmm, I wonder what my box says? "D7000 (KR)" WHAT!?!

I knew it....

So what now? What exactly does this mean? My camera is not covered by any Nikon warranty? What are the implications of my situation if the camera ever needs repair? Do I have to contact Nikon South Korea if I have any issues?

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Non US D7000
briantilley Moderator
01st Jan 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
01st Jan 2011
03rd Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
03rd Jan 2011
PAStime Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011
03rd Jan 2011
wingdo
04th Jan 2011
niko phil Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
04th Jan 2011
niko phil Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
04th Jan 2011
billD80 Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
niko phil Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
04th Jan 2011
niko phil Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
04th Jan 2011
ricphoto
04th Jan 2011
km6xz Moderator
05th Jan 2011
ericbowles Moderator
05th Jan 2011
ricphoto
05th Jan 2011
05th Jan 2011
HelenOster Silver Member
09th Jan 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 01-Jan-11 05:54 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I suspect you would need to go through the retailer (or try to) if you should ever need warranty service. Nikon USA won't touch an unofficial import.

Checking our own Shops Forum would probably have made you wary of Best Price Cameras. Here is one of several uncomplimentary discussions about them.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sat 01-Jan-11 06:34 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

Dang

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 01-Jan-11 07:01 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

The vendor may have included an "in house" one year warranty with your camera.
They will probably send it to Korea for you if so.
Or
you might not have to pay too much more for an exchange for a "made in US" camera.
Or
send it back for a refund. There are getting to be plenty around now.
Or
you can send it into Nikon Korea your self.
Or
There are a few good repair shops in the US that will work on "Grey" cameras.
But you will have to pay them.
Or
You could call MAC. Their extended warranty might cover your camera.
Years ago, I received a D1 back from Nikon (not sure which repair center) that they could not fix and had sent it in themselves.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 01-Jan-11 07:59 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

Most of the Nikon Authorized service centers will handle non-US gear. They cannot handle warranty work - you don't have a warranty but you did save some money.

Nikon will not handle gray market gear at all. It's not the end of the world - the camera only has a 1 year warranty anyway. And you save 5-10% via gray market purchases.

Be sure you can update the firmware as that is important.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Mon 03-Jan-11 03:00 PM
#5. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

OK, after consulting with my wife, we have decided to just let "Best Price Electronics" win one today, and move on. As the opportunity arises, I will certainly document my experiences on web forums that solitic vender reviews, but aside from that, I am simply going to enjoy this camera.

Am I wise for coming to this decision? Who knows. I am influenced by a couple of factors: 1) my D70s has been bulletproof, and I hardly treated it with white gloves. In fact, a few months ago it fell off my shoulder (holding too many things at once) and died for a couple of days. Then to my surprise, it came back to life! Has been working fine ever since. Chances are this D7000 will be equally as reliable as it certainly hasn't given me any reason to suspect its build quality as of yet. I am not experiencing any of the glitches expressed by others from poor focus to a suddently dead autofocus engine to back focusing to whatever. Works like a charm every time.

My wife is an attorney who has her New York State bar, so I figured we were heading for a fight as she is that type of woman -- tough and tenacious to say the least! But this is the outcome I would have chosen if left to my own devices as $1200 isn't going to break the bank, I am blessed to have such a camera, and I'm not going to let those thieves ruin my day or rob me of the joy of what I love so much.

That's life, you win some and you lose some. When I lose on what I consider to be a non-critical matter, how can I really complain? There are countless people out there who do not even have food, let alone a nice new D7000. So I'm going to count my blessings and enjoy my passion. The end

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 03-Jan-11 03:39 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Probably a good move. The D7000 is a good camera - you'll love it.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 03-Jan-11 05:04 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

>That's life, you win some and you lose some.

Enjoy the D7000. The probability is that you won't need warranty work so the probability is that all is fine. Peter

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Mon 03-Jan-11 05:51 PM
#8. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Ellington, US

Now all I have to do every morning when I rise is to face the east, toward Japan, and pray to the Nikon gods....

Oh great Camera in the sky, set thine exposure to "P",

thine meter to "Spot"...

thine autofocus to "Focus Priority", Single point fixed on me...

open thine shutter for at least 1/50th of a second that thou mayest hear my prayer...

aperture at a lens optimal F8...

ISO to 100 so thou mayest see me clearly without noise...

andpleaseblessmyD7000sothatitalwaysfriggenworkslikeitshouldsomyfellowNikoniansdon'tallcollectivelylaughatmymisfortuneandpostpicturesofmecryinginmysoup

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Tue 04-Jan-11 05:36 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I faced the decision with my D90 and ended up going the gray market way. No issues with it at all, it's been perfect and is quite out of warranty now even if it was a US model. The camera is the same, just the warranty.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jan-11 07:20 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Maine, US

I have a similar story on my purchase of a D7000 which arrived a week or two before Christmas. The difference is that mine came from Adorama in NYC and attempts to register it on the Nikon site have been met with "your serial number is not recognized as one of a US Model and may be Grey Market". The box says (U) so I presume it means US.

I'll try again tomorrow in case the site is "kerfluffled" today ....

- - Phil
D7000, D300s, 10-20mm HSM Sigma, 16-85mmVR, 18-200mmVR
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 07:46 PM
#11. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 04-Jan-11 07:48 PM by beemerman2k

Ellington, US

Now that's strange, because I registered my South Korean D7000 on the Nikon USA web site and I didn't receive any error messages! Furthermore, I used my serial number to download an unlocked copy of the User Manual as an Adobe Acrobat file -- again, no errors or complaints.

Could the camera be legit but the box not be? Is the camera one of the customer returned models, and in their rush to resell it as new, Best Price Electronics grabed any ole box to put it in?

Beats me!

For the record, I checked the number of shutter actuations the camera had on it the day I received it, but after actually using it for a bit. The count reported only exceeded the count I figured it should be by about 20-30 clicks! Would someone use this camera that little and return it? A mystery to me, that's for sure.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jan-11 07:55 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Maine, US

>Now that's strange, because I registered my South Korean
>D7000 on the Nikon USA web site and I didn't receive any error
>messages! Furthermore, I used my serial number to download an
>unlocked copy of the User Manual as an Adobe Acrobat file --
>again, no errors or complaints.

I haven't tried the SN on the print-locked user manual file.

>Could the camera be legit but the box not be? Is the camera
>one of the customer returned models, and in their rush to
>resell it as new, Best Price Electronics grabed any ole box to
>put it in?

I doubt anything like that ... SN on box and camera are the same.

>Beats me!
>
>For the record, I checked the number of shutter actuations the
>camera had on it the day I received it, but after actually
>using it for a bit. The count reported only exceeded the
>count I figured it should be by about 20-30 clicks! Would
>someone use this camera that little and return it? A mystery
>to me, that's for sure.

My shutter actuations were only 6 on the day I popped a battery into it and fired off my first photo (perfecto! FWIW)

Regards,
- - Phil
D300s, 10-20mm HSM Sigma, 16-85mmVR, 18-200mmVR
F4s, 20mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8D, 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D, 70-200mmVR f/2.8. 80-400mmVR f/4.5-5.6D

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 08:28 PM
#13. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Ellington, US

Gee, I hope no one here is missing a D7000! God only knows where Best Price Electronics "acquired" the one I purchased from them

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 04-Jan-11 09:12 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

The difference is
>that mine came from Adorama in NYC and attempts to register it
>on the Nikon site have been met with "your serial number
>is not recognized as one of a US Model and may be Grey
>Market".

Adorama is a stand-up company, and they do sell grey market, but they always tell you... If your isn't US, then I'd call Adorama and have them issue you a free warranty.

Bottom line is you should have been made aware that it was grey market (if it is).

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jan-11 10:33 PM
#15. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Maine, US

>Adorama is a stand-up company, and they do sell grey market,
>but they always tell you... If your isn't US, then I'd call
>Adorama and have them issue you a free warranty.

Issue is still indeterminate.

>Bottom line is you should have been made aware that it was
>grey market (if it is).

I ordered it as a US model with US warranty.

Does anyone know if the (U) designation after the SN on the box label means US model?

- - Phil

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 10:38 PM
#16. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Ellington, US

Yes, according to Ken Rockwell's site, you have a legitimate US model - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/specifications.htm#box

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

niko phil Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2008Tue 04-Jan-11 10:50 PM
#17. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

Maine, US

>Yes, according to Ken Rockwell's site, you have a legitimate
>US model -
>http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/specifications.htm#box

Thanks. I figured it was based on other indicators. Still can't account for why Nikon site doesn't recognize its SN as US model.

- - Phil

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 11:48 PM
#18. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

Ellington, US

OK, I just figured out what happened.

After extensive research and detective work, in which I hired the brightest minds in commercial crime to assist, I have unraveled the mystery.

Our boxes got mixed up

Oh yeah, mine is the real US version, but it was packed in your box. Yours is the illegitimate South Korean copy, but it was accidentally put in a USA box!

But hey, to show you what a great sport I am, we'll just swap cameras...OK?

Hey, I'm just trying to protect my fellow Nikonians from Internet swindelers!

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Tue 04-Jan-11 11:50 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Non US D7000"
Tue 04-Jan-11 11:54 PM by ricphoto

Seattle, US

Could just a system error as the cameras and serial #'s are so new...

as I recall neither of my D7000's serial #'s went through the first time and after trying twice for both there was a checkbox that said something like register anyways...same thing happened when I went to register them as back-up cameras at the NPS renewal site...

...Ric

btw: at a minimum I'd be writing up Best Price at: http://www.resellerratings.com/

but would more likely be after them to either replace the camera with a US model or prove that you had intentionally bought a grey market version...I surely wouldn't accept or trust any "warranty" they offered...

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 05-Jan-11 10:28 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Non US D7000"

St Petersburg, RU

Nikon's registration often is problematic. It took calling to Nikon USA to register my first NX2 software when the on-line system said it was a bootleg copy. The customer service person said just try again another day and it will probably work. I did and it worked fine on the 3rd attempt.
Recent upgrades to the newest version have not allowed registration for many people either, reporting the existing serial number is not a legal copy.

Just try again another day.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 05-Jan-11 01:18 AM
#20. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

For issues with Adorama, ask for Helen Oster. She is a Nikonian and has been very helpful in the past. Adorama is a good operation and should handle any issues promptly and fairly.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 01:48 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 20

Seattle, US

Please note that my remarks were intended for the OP who bought from Best Price...

I agree with Eric...

Adorama is and always has been a class act and will work with you to make any issue right.

(Though why they can't reliably reflect stock status online has always been a puzzle

...Ric

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 05-Jan-11 11:40 AM
#23. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

Ellington, US

>Please note that my remarks were intended for the OP who
>bought from Best Price...
>

Ric, I certainly took your post as addressing what you would do were you in my shoes. I certainly thought long and hard about it, so here is what I am going to do: I am going to write Best Price Electronics as I do have the email address of the person who sold me the camera (they are only a 3 man shop in Brooklyn, NY) and inform him of my displeasure with the camera's status. I will tell him that I plan to write up negative reviews concerning this state of the camera they sold me, and give him a chance to offer to make things right.

Now here's the rub: I think my camera performs spectacularly! I think the image quality is outstanding! So if I had the opportunity to swap it in for another unit, regardless of the warranty offered, I'd decline the offer. I'm keeping this unit right here.

Add to that the fact that I work a lot of hours, have a family waiting for me when I get home, and I am lucky if I get 30 minutes to myself each day, and I don't want to squander that 30 minutes fighting over this sale, it just isn't worth it to me.

I love photography, but it is a gift and not a necessity. I've lost more money on stuff for my BMW motorcycle than I could ever lose on this camera, so I'll take a swing or two at BPE and then call it a day.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

HelenOster Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Sun 09-Jan-11 05:20 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Non US D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

New York, US

>Adorama is and always has been a class act and will work with
>you to make any issue right.
>
>(Though why they can't reliably reflect stock status online
>has always been a puzzle
>
>...Ric

It's partly because we sell via a number of different portals, such as Amazon & buy.com - and partly because we don't charge your cc until an order actually ships.

However, work is under way on the website to address this. I'm hopeful we'll see it by the end of the summer...

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com?kbid=64628

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4118 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.