Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #402
View in linear mode

Subject: "why announce so far before shipping" Previous topic | Next topic
glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 23-Sep-10 01:52 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"why announce so far before shipping"

Arlington, US

Anyone have any insight into why a company like Nikon would announce a camera like this 6 weeks before it will ship to customers? Why not announce it when you are ready to ship so you don't frustrate your customers who want one right away?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: why announce so far before shipping
blw Moderator
23rd Sep 2010
JPJ Silver Member
23rd Sep 2010
dazman47
23rd Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
23rd Sep 2010
Robman3 Gold Member
24th Sep 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Sep 2010
ZoneV Silver Member
23rd Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Sep 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 23-Sep-10 02:53 AM
26297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Perhaps to keep customers who otherwise might have jumped to a 60D or 7D?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 23-Sep-10 03:13 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Nikon in recent times has announced new DSLRs about 4 weeks prior to shipping (see for eg. the D90 and 300s). Here, I suspect Photokina had a lot to do with the D7000 being announced slightly ahead of schedule.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dazman47 Registered since 25th Sep 2007Thu 23-Sep-10 04:11 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Early or late notification does not change the D7000 availability. I prefer the early announcement to get the NAS funds ready for the drain.

Dave
My Nikonians Gallery

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 23-Sep-10 08:45 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

It is a common stratagy in marketing. It freezes the market until your product can be sitting on every camera store shelf. Sales of mid line DSLR just dropped to lowest levels of the year as people wait to find out more. Half of those people might have bought a Canon if they had not been told to hold out a little longer for something really big. Some Christmas shopping is occurring now, and this advanced announcement is a way of slowing down the momentum of a competitor who might have product on the shelves already. It is a big task to get a million $1200 cameras in reasonable supply in every retail camera store in the world. That what Nikon has to do before the New Year. The D3s roll out was hard enough yet it was 1/50th of the size.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Robman3 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2010Fri 24-Sep-10 07:29 AM
1721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

Stan,

You are correct of course, they shot Canon in the heart for anyone who wishes an autofocus application in HDMI 1080P, even though the frame rate is static at 24fps along with the whole DX phenomena lenses.

Rob

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 28-Sep-10 01:38 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 28-Sep-10 01:44 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Stan,
>
>You are correct of course, they shot Canon in the heart for
>anyone who wishes an autofocus application in HDMI 1080P, even
>though the frame rate is static at 24fps along with the whole
>DX phenomena lenses.
>
>Rob
>
My complete 5D2 with 4 lens outfit is for sale if you cannot wait for the D7000

The good news is that you can use nearly all your lens. You are not limited to AF-S DX with the D7000.

I would not be surprised when the 30fps HD firmware update is released soon after the camera ships.
However, that could be delayed if there is a D400 or D700s release pending.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 23-Sep-10 09:09 PM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Sep-10 09:18 PM by ZoneV

US

>Anyone have any insight into why a company like Nikon would
>announce a camera like this 6 weeks before it will ship to
>customers? Why not announce it when you are ready to ship so
>you don't frustrate your customers who want one right away?

One factor in announcement dates is trade shows, like Photokina, which is currently underway in Germany, and occurs every other year.

Back just a few years ago, it used to regularly take Nikon 3 to 6 months from the announcement time to the first ship date. Somtimes products would get delayed, too. And even after that, you had to wait 6-9 months before the rush died down and you were actually able to get one in your hands. And even a year after announcement, there were often bugs that plagued the first batches. So, many photographers waited a whole year from the announcement before even attempting to buy a camera. The D2H, for example, was announced in I believe August of 2003, but didn't really ship until December. And it was hard to get until Spring 2004!

Nikon is really a lot better in this regard lately. Really; the one month delay these days is nothing! Nikon used to be so slowwwww. The only Nikon camera currently still plagued by a shortage a while after its release is the D3s. Every other model has shipped within about a month. Look at the Fuji X100, and be glad Nikon is faster than Fuji; it's not coming until March 2011! Or how about the Sigma SD-1, for which there isn't even a firm availability date yet (the SD-15 took about a year I believe).

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 26-Sep-10 06:23 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: why announce so far before shipping"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

I agree with Zone V, this wait is nothing compared to the bad old days

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #402 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.