Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4011
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you download your images?" Previous topic | Next topic
ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 05:35 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do you download your images?"
Thu 30-Dec-10 05:36 PM by ronaldbegg

Ocean Grove, AU

Hullo, my D7000 is presently on order, with delivery expected over the next week or so.

One question re accessing the images in the camera.

it has been my habit to down load via USB cable directly from the camera to my Apple editing program. I used to use iPhoto, but for the last 2 years or os, have been using Aperture. I am now using version 3 of Aperture.

Now an article by Ken Rockwell suggested that it is mandatory to use Nikon software in order to be able to get the camera to talk to the computer, in my case a Mac.

Apple have recently announced 'support' for the D7000, I presume in relation to Aperture 3.

Does this mean I can directly download my images ( via a USB) with out the need for Nikon software or a card reader?

Thanks......40 degrees C expected here today, and we are off to a NY BBQ, phew!!

Oh, BTW, Happy New Year to you all.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you download your images?
JosephK Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
blw Moderator
30th Dec 2010
B LaRue
30th Dec 2010
ronaldbegg Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Jan 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
donfaulk Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
Garys
31st Dec 2010
srosengard
31st Dec 2010
sabbey51 Silver Member
31st Dec 2010
wordwizrd
31st Dec 2010
poc Silver Member
31st Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
km6xz Moderator
01st Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
digitalandfilm
01st Jan 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jan 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
bdgriff
31st Jan 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 30-Dec-10 05:57 PM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I use a card reader:
- faster than the camera
- does not drain the camera battery
- no special hardware drivers needed
- I can use any software I want for the xfer (Downloader Pro for Windows)

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 30-Dec-10 08:05 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> Now an article by Ken Rockwell suggested that it is mandatory to use Nikon software in order to be able to get the camera to talk to the computer,

This is completely, entirely incorrect. The camera can be plugged into the system and the images appear in the explorer or Finder. The images can then be transferred to the computer via either copy/paste or many other methods, with no Nikon software involved. I have personally done this on Windows, MacOS, Linux and Solaris. My main photo editing system is a Mac, and it does not have any Nikon software installed on it at all.

> card reader?

I'd still suggest the use of a card reader, but you can definitely go without.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 08:32 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have an iMac, and the first thing I do is create an empty folder with the shoot date & subject on my screen.
Then I put my card from the D7000 into my Promaster Digital card reader which takes 4 different sizes of cards, and download to the empty folder. Fast and simple. No cables from camera to computer, no battery drainage.

Betty

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 08:51 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 30-Dec-10 08:52 PM by ronaldbegg

Ocean Grove, AU

>I have an iMac, and the first thing I do is create an empty
>folder with the shoot date & subject on my screen.
>Then I put my card from the D7000 into my Promaster Digital
>card reader which takes 4 different sizes of cards, and
>download to the empty folder. Fast and simple. No cables from
>camera to computer, no battery drainage.
>
>Betty

Thanks folks, but, does anyone use a straight transfer from their Mac to iPhoto, or Aperture, via a USB cable?

I personally feel the battery drainage issue, is a bit of a non issue!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 30-Dec-10 09:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 30-Dec-10 09:54 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Well the metering and focus systems remain on, the time out is disabled, Your battery will last about 2 hours. So I do think you want to start a download and go to bed.

I have also found that the USB version of the camera tends to be version 1.0.

There is no firmware update to USB Version 2 and probably not one for Version 3 when that is released.

Using a Reader lets me continue to shoot while the card is downloading.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 02-Jan-11 12:04 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

I typically use a USB cable connecting the camera to my computer, but I use Nikon ViewNX2/Transfer. It is a little slower than the card reader. The card speed makes a big difference - fast cards download much more quickly than slow cards.

The main reason is to avoid card loss or pin damage (with CF cards) and other user errors.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 08:55 PM
#5. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ocean Grove, AU

>This is completely, entirely incorrect. The camera can be
>plugged into the system and the images appear in the explorer
>or Finder. The images can then be transferred to the computer
>via either copy/paste or many other methods, with no Nikon
>software involved. I have personally done this on Windows,
>MacOS, Linux and Solaris. My main photo editing system is a
>Mac, and it does not have any Nikon software installed on it
>at all.

>I'd still suggest the use of a card reader, but you can
>definitely go without.

Thanks mate, ( 'mate' :: I am from Australia) appreciate your input.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 30-Dec-10 09:38 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Now an article by Ken Rockwell suggested that it is mandatory
>to use Nikon software in order to be able to get the camera to
>talk to the computer, in my case a Mac.

Could you please post a link to the article that says this? Thanks.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

donfaulk Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Thu 30-Dec-10 10:34 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 6

Madison, US

I think he is basing this on the following link - under the heading: USB Communication: Poor.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm

Don F.

Garys Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Fri 31-Dec-10 12:03 AM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 8

Mesa, US

On my iMac, I have the Nikon usb cable connected to my D7K. I open iPhoto and click import. That is all that is necessary. I have not tried this with raw files; however, with jpg there are no problems.

Gary

----
Gary

Visit MY Nikon Gallery: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=13361&ppuser=0

srosengard Basic MemberFri 31-Dec-10 02:11 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have used a Card Reader for since my D70 days, They are not expensive, easy to use, dont use any battery power

Steve R

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 03:53 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 10

Saddle river, US

Reiterating what the others have said, I use a card reader:

- Much faster than the USB cable
- Much smaller to carry when traveling than the USB cable
- Doesn't drain the camera battery (and with a lot of Raw pics on the camera, using a USB cable can take a lonnnnng time)

Raw or JPG, no difference other than the size of the image files and therefore the time to transfer.

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 05:51 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

there are a lot of card readers out there at very reasonable prices. when i buy, i check the specs for transfer rates and buy the fastest one available. some computers don't even need additional readers ... the macbook pro i use when transmitting to newspapers directly from job sites has an SD slot built in. check your computer and see

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Fri 31-Dec-10 09:28 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 12

Glenview, US

Nikon Transfer is actually a very handy program for importing both raw and jpegs. It allows you to designate primary and secondary backup destinations as well as renaming files and adding extensions. This may be an option for you before going into your editing program.

In my case, I plug directly from camera ti iMac and have not found that battery drainage is that big a deal on D90, D300s or D7k. Card reader is a fine idea, but several ways work well.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 01-Jan-11 01:29 AM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

Pretec Releases World's 1st USB 3.0 Card Reader

P240 USB3.0 High-Speed Multi-Card Reader is the 1st USB3.0 card reader in the world supporting high-performance SDXC, CF and other major memory cards. Pretec ExpressCard CF card reader and Pretec ExpressCard SD/SDXC card reader are the fastest card readers in the world capable of transferring data in the range of 100MB/s. The ultra high performance allows user applications to demand a higher performance connection between PC and increasingly sophisticated peripherals. Pretec P240 USB3.0 Multi-Card reader will start sampling by next month, with mass production scheduled in August.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 01-Jan-11 11:18 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 14

St Petersburg, RU

Nowadays it is hard to find a laptop that does NOT have a SD card slot. Card readers are faster than USB cable connections because of the camera end of the interface. Connecting the camera directly by cable, even if a computer has USB3 will not be much if any faster, but a card reader such as the Pretec should just fly.

I think I still have my USB cable that came with my D90 but after trying it once I found it pretty slow and just used the reader built into the laptop.

Regardless of which transfer method used, the OP might want to use the Nikon supplied software for rendering the NEF raw files before using Aperture because there seems to be tricks used in the NEF files that Nikon uses that give better image quality and lower noise than Adobe, Apple and others do not have file descriptions for. Nikon has always had an advantage for a while, with new models while the 3rd party software was fine tuned over several versions until it got close to Nikon. It took Adobe 2 years to get D90 and D300 images at parity with Nikon raw rendering.
A workflow that works well for many is using ViewNX to convert to 16 bit TIFF(after adjusting levels and in camera settings such as Active D-Lighting, and WB) files that can be manipulated well with Adobe or Apple editing software. The only downside is that 16mpx images in TIFF format are huge.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 01-Jan-11 12:32 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

There is a lot of difference in speed between card readers.
Some will not even read UDMA or SDXC cards.

Hoodman has a very fast combo USB2 reader.
There are several cheaper knockoffs.
The FireWire ones are not necessarily faster.

digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 02:31 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I just plug in my D7000 via USB cable and then start up Lightroom and then click "import" and it's done.. for some reason, the Olympus E-30 would start LR for me, but the Nikon needs me to start Lightroom.

Incidentally- the latest upgrade (3.3?) of Lightroom lists the Nikon D7000 as one of it's improvements.

"All intervening steps.. scribbles, sketches, drawings, failed work, models, studies, thoughts, conversations.. are of interest"

My website: http://www.digitalandfilm.com

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 03:37 PM
#18. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 01-Jan-11 04:29 PM by briantilley

Ocean Grove, AU

Hi Stan, you are a long way from OceanGrove, Australia.

My MacBook is about 2 years or so, old, and does not have a card slot. My direct downloading via USB has always worked well for me......yes the files in the D7000 will be quite a bit bigger than my old D80 or the old D200.

If I find it too slow, I don't shoot much RAW these days, then I will certainly invest in a 'good' card reader.

Thanks for your input.

Ron

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 01-Jan-11 04:25 PM
#19. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 18

Monterey Bay, US

>
>My MacBook is about 2 years or so, old, and does not have a
>card slot.
>Ron

Does it have a PCMI slot?
They make adapters that fit that slot.

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 12:57 AM
#20. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 19

Ocean Grove, AU

>
>>
>>My MacBook is about 2 years or so, old, and does not have
>a
>>card slot.
>>Ron
>
> Does it have a PCMI slot?
>They make adapters that fit that slot.

No, the latest Mac's do, but not mine.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 02-Jan-11 04:30 PM
#22. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 20

Monterey Bay, US

I just ordered a SDXC card reader from JR.com for cheap.
IOgear SD/MicroSD/MMC Card Reader/Writer
It is the size and looks almost like a zip drive.
Should be handy for trips with my D7000.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 04-Jan-11 07:21 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 22

Jamison, US

I use Nikon NX2 on my Mac and PC, always use a card reader , never hook up to USB. If your using 2 Cards, the USB will get a little complicated especially if your separating NEFs from JPEGS as I do.

The NX2 software does remarkable work prior to using anything else. In fact I would recommend one of the classes on NX2 Nikon run, its so simple to vastly improve the basic image exposure in your workflow.

bdgriff Registered since 13th May 2010Mon 31-Jan-11 12:27 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: How do you download your images?"
In response to Reply # 23

San Antonio, US

I typically use a couple different methods..Lately after puchasing 2 8gb EYE-FI cards, they stay right in the camera and upload to the computer and any hosting site (mostly) of your choice. Ours go to my d drive & Picassa Web Albums. If we use another method, it's popping out the sd card and putting right into the computer or laptops built in card reader.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4011 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.