Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4009
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Card for D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 05:00 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Card for D7000?"

US

I'm confused about which card to get for the D7000. These are 2 I am looking at. They look like the same card info to me, why the big price difference?

SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s Edition High Performance Card - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 6 - SDHC SDSDX3-008G-A31 $39.99

SanDisk Extreme III - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 6 - SDHC with MicroMate Reader SDSDRX3-8192-A21 $72.99

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Card for D7000?
greenwing Gold Member
30th Dec 2010
wingdo
30th Dec 2010
MrsG
31st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
31st Dec 2010
MEMcD Moderator
31st Dec 2010
wordwizrd
31st Dec 2010

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 30-Dec-10 05:12 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I've no idea if the cards are the same, though they do sound similar. The difference is mostly with MicroMate Reader so you have a card reader included with the second card. If you have a card reader built into your computer, then the first card will be fine.

Chris

wingdo Registered since 26th Aug 2007Thu 30-Dec-10 07:56 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The second one is not one of the newer 30MB/s cards, but a 20MB/s card. Will you notice a difference? Probably not, but if you do shoot continuous mode I cannot say for certain as I do not know the max write speed of the D7000 off hand.

Doug
D300s | MB-D10 | SB-700

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 03:05 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks! Do you think that 2 SD cards of 8GB are enough or should I go higher?

Also, should you have 2 identical cards in the camera or does this not matter? (I was thinking of computer RAM where they suggest to have matching pairs of RAM modules, I don't know if it's the same concept with a DSLR.)

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 31-Dec-10 03:59 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Thanks! Do you think that 2 SD cards of 8GB are enough or
>should I go higher?
>
>Also, should you have 2 identical cards in the camera or does
>this not matter?

I use two 8gb, with one set as backup to the other, because shooting RAW gives me about 220 exposures. To me, that's a lot, but I never make rapid-fire 6FPS images. If I did, then I might want a 16GB card...

I'm biased toward have two of the same type and size card. Why? Just a feeling. Don't know if the manual advises one way or the other.

What I would definitely say is, don't run a card up to its capacity, if you can avoid it. Off-load or put in a new card, when the one in-camera is 80% to 90% full. A while ago I heard that card failures increase when they're near or at capacity. This may be an urban myth, but I've always been a bit conservative this way...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 31-Dec-10 04:51 PM
25726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Ella,

>Do you think that 2 SD cards of 8GB are enough or
>should I go higher?

That depends on how much you shoot and the quality settings you have set in the camera menu and how often you download the images from the card to your hard drive(s). Having a few extra cards in card wallet is always a good idea. I know too many people that find themselves deleting images because their card is full.

>Also, should you have 2 identical cards in the camera or does
>this not matter? (I was thinking of computer RAM where they
>suggest to have matching pairs of RAM modules, I don't know if
>it's the same concept with a DSLR.)

You can mix and match brands, speeds, and capacities without problems.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 05:34 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Card for D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

you can mix them. i often do in my d7000. check sandisk for some very good 2-fer offers with rebates. they expire soon, so you need to move quickly. unless you shoot a lot or do not download very often, a pair of 8gig cards ought to be just fine. i shot five games yesterday at a basketball tournament and had enough memory with a pair of 8gigs and a pair of 4gigs with all files jpeg fine and large

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #4009 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.