Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3905
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and 18-105mm Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Tue 28-Dec-10 07:34 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"

US

I want to buy this camera, but I can only find it online at Bestbuy with the 18-105mm lens. This will be my first DSLR, so I don't know anything about lenses. Is this a good lens or what kind of photos should I expect to be able to take with it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens
Asgard Administrator
28th Dec 2010
MrsG
28th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
28th Dec 2010
Sujoy61 Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
MrsG
30th Dec 2010
MrsG
30th Dec 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
30th Dec 2010
waxart
30th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
km6xz Moderator
01st Jan 2011
srosengard
31st Dec 2010
jmiguez Silver Member
01st Jan 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 28-Dec-10 07:43 PM
50202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

First, in reviewing your profile, I noticed that it is incomplete.
We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web-personalities with anonymous screen names.
Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks.

Second, the D7000 is a great camera and the 18-105 is a good all around lens.

Buy it.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Tue 28-Dec-10 08:36 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My apologies, I didn't mean to be a "mysterious" anonymous person, haha. I've updated my real name.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 28-Dec-10 08:36 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

The 18-105mm is an excellent lens and perfect for general purpose photography. Coupled with the D7000 you will be well equipped. After shooting with this combination for a while, you will have better knowledge of what other lens might be of interest. But even if you get another lens, you may find yourself using the 18-105 for a long time coming. Peter

Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006Thu 30-Dec-10 08:09 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Calcutta, IN

Why not get the D7000 with the 16-85 VR lens?

www.sujoydas.com
Photographs from the Himalaya
www.sujoyrdas.blogspot.com
My Blog
www.facebook.com/sujoyrdas
Facebook

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 12:36 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I haven't seen that combination anywhere. I only see it with the 18-105.

MrsG Registered since 22nd Dec 2010Thu 30-Dec-10 01:33 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

US

So, can someone answer this question very simply, because I'm trying to grasp what the different mm levels of lenses mean. I think I understand that 35mm would be basically what you see with your regular eye. So, the 105mm would be like a 3x zoom? This is the first time I am buying a DSLR with lens so I'm clueless about what the measurements are. So, then how can you have something less than what you see by eyesight? Does that mean that the 18mm or anything less than 35mm is like a macro lens? Sorry for my dumb questions

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 30-Dec-10 03:11 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

AW

Actually, 50mm is about the size your eye sees, but 35mm gives what was the old 50mm perspective when we all shot film, (or FX today). At any rate, per the earlier comment, the 18-105mm VR is a great, all-around lens, and since you don't yet know exactly what you want, it will give you a wide platform to explore your shooting with.

""

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 30-Dec-10 04:28 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Vallejo, US

I bought my D7000 with the 18-105mm lens, despite already owning several other Nikon lenses, and I am very satisfied with it. In fact, more than satisfied - thrilled. It is very responsive, with accurate autofocus, very little distortion (chromatic aberration), performs well in low light, is useful for many different types of shots, and is light enough to carry on the camera all day. In fact, I've hardly changed lenses since I bought it a month ago.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 01-Jan-11 11:37 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 01-Jan-11 11:38 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>So, can someone answer this question very simply, because I'm
>trying to grasp what the different mm levels of lenses mean. I
>think I understand that 35mm would be basically what you see
>with your regular eye.

Correct. With the 18-105 on the D7000 and set to 35mm you will see what you see with your regular eye. At least it is an approximation of that.

>So, the 105mm would be like a 3x zoom?

Yes.

>This is the first time I am buying a DSLR with lens so I'm
>clueless about what the measurements are. So, then how can you
>have something less than what you see by eyesight? Does that
>mean that the 18mm or anything less than 35mm is like a macro
>lens?

No, 18mm does not mean macro.

If you were to stand in a living room and set the lens to 18mm you would see a lot of the room, perhaps everyone sitting in it. 18mm is a wide angle view. If you were to set the lens to 105mm you would be zoomed in on one person in the room. That is a zoomed in view. If you set it to 35mm, you would see something like what you see without the camera, a normal field of view by the human eyes.

The 18-105mm lens is excellent for your first DSLR!

Peter

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 01-Jan-11 01:31 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 10

St Petersburg, RU

Every focal length has some advantage in some scene or style so eventually, when you discover what type of subjects you are most actively involved with, you will likely want more specialized lenses. Lenses are a big investment however, the good ones are expensive.
As a result of how expensive, and often heavy, specialty lenses are, you will be much better off with a general purpose lens like the 18-105 until some time in the future you tell yourself "I just gotta get xxx focal length/xxx aperture or else my images will suffer". For example a dedicated portrait shooter will have a completely different"gotta have" lens list than wildlife shooters.Those who just have to have the best images of bird on the wing, have a different, and much more expensive list. You do not know yet what you are going to be most interested in, usually it is a different subject matter than what they bought a camera for in the first place. This is the reason everyone thus far has posted that the 18-105VR is a fine lens for you, it does a little of everything with competence.
I used mine in a party last night, despite having a bag full of more specialized pro level lenses. I was shooting too wide a variety of subjects to figure out the best odds of having the right focal length at the right time. Late in the morning I switched to a telephoto zoom that is my favorite lens and just concentrated on faces, but when people came to ask for full body shots or a group shot, I had to scramble to mount a different wider lenses....or just leave the 18-105 on the camera. That lens has a few problems than nitpickers will not like, such as distortion at the wide angle(all ultra wide lenses have distortion), or not being a "fast" lens meaning the light gathering capability is not as great as expensive wide aperture lenses. For best image quality, the 18-105 is really at its peak at f/8 so that is usually a situation where there is good light or augmented light, in the form of flash units or studio strobes are normally used.
There are a number of popular general purpose lenses, most go from 16-18mm at the wide angle end of the zoom range, to 85, 105, or 200mm on the telephoto end of th zoom range. The big advantage of the 105 is that is it cheap yet performs as well as its more expensive cousins in the line. The 18-200 is a popular travel lens where people do not want to change lenses but it costs close to $900 and is no better in light gathering or sharpness. The 16-85 is a little, very little, bit sharper but has a limited more limited range and is $600. The 18-105 is about $300 or less when purchased as a kit.
Later on, after a few thousand shots you can look back at your collection and see what subjects and focal lengths you shot mostly. For me, it turned out to be portraits and candids in the 100-105 range so my first expensive lens was a 70-200VR 2.8 for $1800. A fixed focus lens followed at 85mm for $1300. Eventually I ended up with full coverage of everything I was interested in and except for the very widest angles, they are all ranges covered by my single 18-105. For a general purpose zoom, the next step up above th 18-105 is the 17-55 2.8 which is larger, heavier, more limited in range and $1300. I have one and find minor differences between it and the 18-105, other than build stoutness.
That is long answer as to why most people said "yeah, the 18-105 is fine"

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

srosengard Basic MemberFri 31-Dec-10 02:19 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well I have a slightly differant view, I use a 18-200 Nikon VR II Lens as a primary lens. I happen to like the longer focal lengh
Although Nikon does not offer a kit with the 18-200 VR.

Steve

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 02:15 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 and 18-105mm Lens"
In response to Reply # 9

Lafayette, US

Steve, I use the 18-200 also and love the lens. I have the 18-105 and use it on a secondary D40. I think that unless the good lady is photographing wildlife or recorded drug deals going down for the police, she will enjoy the 18-105.

I am sure you have already purchased the camera, maam. Come back and let us know how you are doing.

Good luck and Bonne photographie

John

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3905 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.