Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3896
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?" Previous topic | Next topic
hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 04:38 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"

Lincoln, US

Hello Folks,

I've just tried taking my first movie of some Xmas lights. During the shooting I tried zooming my 18-200MM lens a bit to see how the auto focus would work. After downloading my clips, each one of them have a lot of noise in them each time the camera refocuses after a zoom or on slow panning.

Have any of you guys experienced this with your D7000?

I wish I could upload one here, but at 167mb, that's probably not possible.

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?
intrepidnz
28th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
28th Dec 2010
po6ept
28th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
28th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
28th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
28th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
29th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
29th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Jan 2011
hamjam Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Jan 2011
hamjam Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011
hamjam Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Jan 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
28th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
28th Dec 2010

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Tue 28-Dec-10 05:33 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

Yes, I have also noticed the loud noise from the autofocus.

Its logical I suppose. The mic is right beside the lens!!

I have gone to pre-focussing before I start videoing. This seems to work quite okay with me.

Check to see what autofocus mode you are using for the video. I started with continuous but it got too noisy and swiched back to face priority and prefocussing before I start.

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 06:13 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

Many thanks. I think I'm on continuous also,I'll switch to face priority and see what happens.

Jim

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Tue 28-Dec-10 06:26 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 2

Peoria, US

The best solution is an external microphone. Anything to uncouple the microphone from the camera body, even by a few inches.

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 06:31 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 3

Lincoln, US

Many thanks, I'll look into that too. Do you use one or have any recommendations?

Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 28-Dec-10 07:53 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

I bought the Zoom H4n with is really versatile, it is a recording device in its own right (so you can use it off-camera for example), has built in twin stereo mics and accepts two additional external XLR mics amongst its many features. Watch the video on this webpage here:
http://store.zacuto.com/H4n-Handy-Recorder.html

Before buying that I was also looking into the Rode VideoMic:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/12163/

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 08:16 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 5

Lincoln, US

Steve,
Many thanks, I will take a look at both of those. Have you found in using yours, that the cord can slip out of the jack if not careful? I watched a video review the other day, and the reviewer mentioned this.

Also do you tend to use face priority or continuous focus?

Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 29-Dec-10 12:38 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

Hi Jim,

I watched what was probably the same video review as you so I have been vigilant ever since and it has never slipped out. That industry-standard 3.5mm input jack is quite a long insertion, so as Len mentions, if you insert it all the way you should be OK. I just tried it and it feels fairly snug when inserted all the way.

I bought a 6' sound cable with male 3.5mm jacks on both ends but when the mic is mounted on the camera hot-shoe, a 6 inch cable would be better! I also bought a 20' extension cord, so I can go 26' away and still run a cable back to my camera.

I agree with Len about the pitfalls of remembering to turn your recording device on and off! Plus if you're like me, remembering to hit the record button can be a challenge. I filmed a couple whole scenes, just awesome with my panning and zooming, only to realize I never started the video recording

For focus I am using a method suggested by RRRoger, using AF-S (rather than continuous) to get my initial focus set, then starting recording. I do plan to try manual focus, but for now I just half-press periodically during filming if I feel my subjects distance has moved outside of depth of field. I am also experimenting with face-priority for human subjects as well as the other three modes but all with AF-S. Continuous seems to hunt too much in my VERY LIMITED experience.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 29-Dec-10 03:32 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 9

Lincoln, US

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for all the info. I'll have to try AF-S and see how that works for me as well.

Do you have a favorite F Stop that you've found works well.

Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 03-Jan-11 06:07 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

>Hi Steve,
>
>Many thanks for all the info. I'll have to try AF-S and see
>how that works for me as well.
>
>Do you have a favorite F Stop that you've found works well.

Yes I have been shooting at f8 and f5.6 and using my depth of field calculator to figure out in advance what the near and far focus point will be. I understand the serious filmmakers are looking for the shallow f1.4-f2.8 depth of field, and I do plan on experimenting with that. But for now I am just trying to get my subject in focus

Here's one of my daughter last week, sound is recorded on my Zoom H4n with D7000 receiving the sound via the 3.5mm mic jack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP3_Xwsj4yY&feature=feedu

No hot spots now that I am using the updated firmware (I had two previously). Still making dozens of errors but am learning each time out. I couldn't get my tripod into this crowded venue so I shot with monopod (and need to work on my technique).

I have an earlier clip from this same musical gala where I recorded using just the on camera mic and it actually was not half-bad, better than I expected (the curtains dropped and the first act started performing before I could get my external mic rigged up).

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Mon 03-Jan-11 06:20 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 11

Lincoln, US

That video turned out very nice. Good sound an image quality I think.
I tried the AF-S mode with both normal and wide area focus and it works much better. Also did the firware upgrade too, although I had not noticed any hot pixels.

I've tried a test using my 50MM 1.8 at 1.8 and it seems pretty good.

You probably told me already, but what lens did you use on this last video?

Jim

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 03-Jan-11 06:32 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

Hi Jim,

That clip was the Nikon 24-70. I also shot some later in the gala with the 70-200 and I liked that better due to tighter framing. I'll post some of those when I get a chance, I want to put together a small medley of clips from this event.

Sounds exciting shooting at f1.8!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Mon 03-Jan-11 06:41 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 13

Lincoln, US

Drop me a note here when you get the medley up. I'd like to see some of the footage with the 70-200MM.

I'll have to sign up for a YouTube account so I can post some of my test footage there and link to it.

Thanks,

Jim

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 04-Jan-11 04:04 PM
#16. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue 04-Jan-11 04:05 PM by hamjam

Lincoln, US

Hi Steve,

Here's a link to my first very rudimentary attempt at a video with a very shallow depth of field using my 50MM lens set to 1.8. I was hand holding, so its a bit shaky, but does display a nice blurred background which was our Xmas tree and lights.

The Link: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hampat01#p/u/0/mYxmnM8i6Yk

Let me know what you think, its my first try, so not too good, but I'll get better with time and practice. It's in 1080P, so you can view it that way on YouTube.

Jim

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 04-Jan-11 01:23 AM
3150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Hi Steve,

Sounds like you are having almost as much video fun as I am.
I thought I had tried everything and lern't the hard way, but have a long way to go with the D7000.

I am about to take my movie experience mobile.
I tried the cheapy "steady cam". A MonoPod with wight tied to the bottom of it.
This helps a lot, but is not entirely satisfactory.
Next I will try a "dirt cheap" CowboyStudio Shoulder Support to do a walk-about in my Nursery.
If I ever get it right, I will sell more Landscape Trees online.
Give me a "fist full of dollars" and NAS will strike instantly.

Yes, I had the zoom lens clicking during my Videos.
Taping the sides of an Audio-technica ATR6250 stereo mic solved that completely.
It is mounted on the flash shoe.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 28-Dec-10 07:55 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Nikon mention in the mammoth instruction book the internal mic picks up AF and VR noise - as you have discovered
Any external mic with a 3.5mm jack and it's own power source is OK, though one which clips to the camera hot shoe has advantages.
Ideally you need one with stereo sound ability.
Using an external jack requires care. If you do not switch the mic power ON button on you get no sound
The jack has a 2 stage pressure on the D300s and D3s and if you do not push the jack fully home you get no sound
Last after recording if you forget to switch the On button to off you an end up with a flat battery

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 08:17 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon D7000 Auto Focus taking movies VERY loud?"
In response to Reply # 6

Lincoln, US

Lens,
Thanks for the informative feedback. I'm probably going to end up with an external mike.

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3896 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.